It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cults. guru types. what gives?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
based on many recommendations i am watching wild wild country on netflix about that osho guru dude and all his followers.

it really got me thinking about this type of thing in general.
cults and guru's

think jim jones
branch davidians
the rajneesh movement
manson

manson i kind of get because he was passing out '___'. his # is a little different.

so what do you think makes people fall into believing this bull#?

i dont mean all guru's of course. there are legit spiritual advisors and such and i guess people find enlightenment.
ok. i will buy that

but when you get the dudes like osho and david koresh....
how do they do it?

every single person that falls in with them cant be a total idiot.
are they smart but weak minded?
are they in so much pain(different types) that they get sucked in?

like koresh. say i need something in my life and i come across koresh. i suppose i can buy into some of his # but as soon as he starts in with the "you have to give up all your belongings and live at my ranch and im gonna bang your wife on the reg"
im out.

no thanks. see you later.

but people dont

they give up their wife
they give up all their #

they put in air force ones and drink the kool aid to ride the comet into the ever after

i just dont understand how people can get duped like that.

what are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
A lot of depressed gullible people out there.

Sense of belonging can be alluring.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
People are looking for something more in life.

Working your life away to make others rich.

Doesn't appeal to everyone...

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Which is one of the many reasons I call Walmart a cult. That, and their lil rallies, chants and seeming worship of management.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Just got to claim you have knowledge that others don't and that this knowledge will soothe their soul.

Pretty easy formula used by multiple cults/religions
edit on 21-3-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

like koresh. say i need something in my life and i come across koresh. i suppose i can buy into some of his # but as soon as he starts in with the "you have to give up all your belongings and live at my ranch and im gonna bang your wife on the reg"
im out.

no thanks. see you later.

I read the whole thing but this part made me laugh out loud. As for the subject matter, I can see why some buy into the whole cult thing. But, like you, I think I would stop just as soon as he said "give up your things and I get nightly favors from your wife". There are some documentaries I watched on it and they said that the members are fully indoctrinated before they ask you to do those things though.

Thanks,

blend

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
A lot of depressed gullible people out there.

Sense of belonging can be alluring.

Exactly....

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Just got to claim you have knowledge that others don't and that this knowledge will soothe their soul.

Pretty easy formula used by multiple cults/religions

Marshall Applewhite's Heaven's Gate Cult was just a couple miles away.

How he sold those folks that load of crap.

A spaceship behind a comet...I'm stupefied

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Purple tracksuits. I remember that one.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Cult leaders inspire love in their followers. Whether it be through professing some divine prophetic truth or just, as mentioned above, giving the lonely a sense of belonging and home, these people in turn genuinely grow to love the leader. "Cults of personality" arise naturally in the course of human affairs; many Americans felt genuine love for Kennedy, even though they'd never met the man or could have any sort of "real" relationship with him. Hell, people fall for fictional characters (not just teenage girls) because they represent an ideal that the person hasn't (or can't) seen in real life.

The sad will always strive to be happy, the lost will always seek direction; it sounds Biblical, but it's the forte of every politician worth their salt.

But sometimes, these charismatic individuals don't fall within societal norms (or, in the cases above, likely possessed genuine mental illnesses). The historical cult of Christianity (not going down the hole re: modern Christianity with this, just the "story of Jesus") is a great non-villainized example of just that. Early Christians attacked their governments, violated the laws of their land, and might as well be called rebels for all the good they did to the established order.

Now, in today's world, it's far harder to impress than it would have been in Jesus' time. I'm fairly sure I remember David Blaine or David Copperfield or one of those magicians walking on water a few decades ago when that was still on TV. But as our skepticism has grown, so too has our understanding of how it works. If I'm ritually-inclined, a month-long intensive "spiritual retreat" with a restricted diet, surreptitious (or not, in some cases and particularly involving alcohol or marijuana) use of mind-altering substances, sleep deprivation in the name of "enlightenment," and a full course of ritualized elements would put me in the proper state of mind to believe in miracles. And if the cultist controlling it all is smart enough to have planned it this far, then miracles I shall see. Then I'll believe, until and unless someone or something is able to bring me "back to reality" as it were.

If I'm not ritually inclined, but instead depressed or otherwise mentally ill, I'd be even easier to convince. And combine depression and a lack of a sense of community and belonging with a spiritually-inclined mindset, factors that are really fairly common, and you have a fairly broad base of people willing to believe just about anything, under the right circumstances. And when the believe, they'll grow to love. And when they love, they'll do anything for you.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Guru Osho´s followers worked their butt off ( those who got no money) or gave osho huge amounts of money, Guru loved his tinklets and 40 Roll Royces... and couple airplanes too

edit on 21-3-2018 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Forgot one..

Where's his wife?

Miscavige is married to fellow Sea Org member Michele Diane "Shelly" Miscavige, who has not been seen in public since August 2007.[83] Multiple sources have alleged that she disappeared from Gold Base shortly after she "filled several job vacancies without her husband's permission".[84] Author Lawrence Wright reports that "former Sea Org members say she is being guarded at a church facility on Gilman Springs Road in San Jacinto, California".[66] In July 2012, responding to press accounts of speculation on Shelly Miscavige's whereabouts, two UK newspapers were informed by lawyers who said they represented Shelly Miscavige, "that she is not missing and devotes her time to the work of the Church of Scientology".[85][86] Similarly, in August 2013, the Los Angeles Police Department made "some type of contact" with Shelly Miscavige in person following a missing-persons report filed by actress Leah Remini.[87] The LAPD declined to answer questions about the details of the report.[88] Former Scientologist Leah Remini stated that her inquiries into the disappearance of Shelly were met with evasions from Church officials. The church responded later that the claims were false and had bee

My stepfather has been into Scientology for 40+ years. You could say he's smart as hell, but controlling mildly.... sneaky.

edit on 21-3-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

All humans desire meaning & purpose.

The problem is though, we're all bound to a meaningless existence where their is no real purpose... So obviously we're all prone to be "duped" into joining a cult of some kind, from a overwhelming desire to gain a false sense of meaning and purpose.

For most, its just socially acceptable cults like mainstream religion, sports, political alignments, Hollywood entertainment, etc... For others, its something more extreme.

Basically, as humans we only have 2 choices in life, just give up altogether and live a life of constant and pure misery... or search out some BS cult, until you find one that gives you a false sense of meaning & purpose.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Multiple billions of people around the world believe in one moon god or another.
Honestly I'm surprised we don't see more Jim Jones happening.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
These people "gurus" or cult leaders, usually begin recruiting from the fringes of society, people who have been rejected or have rejected their faith or upbringing or just naturally go against the grain. These leaders are usually charismatic and either have instinctual charisma or they understand people's psychology enough to mimic charisma to gain people's trust. They exhibit traits either identical or similar to confidence men (con-men/women).

They usually offer a place to belong, purpose, possibly "identity" (can go along with a place to belong), and usually hope of some kind be it that life will get better or even that it will come to an end (thus the suffering will end). Add all of that to a mildly "convincing" story (religion) and you can catch a lot of flies with this honey. The thing is that once you catch a few "flies" it is easier to catch even more as they can recruit people and also help convince others to follow as well. For people who are the first to adopt the leaders ways, often hold prominence in the cult, and this gives them a position of power in some cases and trust from the leader (both of which the person is seeking) and they also hold sway over those which they recruit or those who are "lower" (newer?) than them.

There is a saying something like "it is easier to deceive than to convince someone they have been deceived" so if that is true, then those who have "joined" can recruit easier than the non-members convincing the recruiters that they are nuts, and it is a snowball if they really push recruitment. I've seen this a lot of times in MLM schemes (multi-level marketing) where people are recruited to sell crap and recruit new members at the same time to sell the same crap they are, and they all kick up $$ to the people above them. Very similar to a pyramid scam.

What you have to understand is the people they target are usually loners and people with no close family or friends who can talk them out of joining. If they do find someone who will try to talk them out, the leader will intervene and either try to convert the outside family/friend or try to convince the member that the family/friend is jealous or maybe the source of the members problems to begin with.

When you are around these things enough you can smell them a mile away, a few phrases from the person can tip off a good ear. A lot of job postings in early 2000 were of the MLM variety or some other cultish type behavior or an outright work scam. They would hold open houses for jobs and I would go to these and sit for 5 mins, hear where it was going and walk out (with people looking astonished) because they all sound the same, no substance and all fluff.

Be careful of ANYONE who promises anything be it spirituality, financial returns, love, friendship, anything. For if they can promise, then they KNOW, and how they KNOW is very suspicious. Some are trapped by apparent returns or friendship but it is all manufactured (fake) to draw people in and then trap them with commitment. I've even seen some women work like this years ago where they act perfect for a few weeks/months, move in with boyfriend, then they start sneaking around (cheating), not going to work or paying rent, etc, but they had been the perfect girl when they met! They would turn everything around on the BF and say he was jealous or HE was cheating, that he was possessive, and even instigate fights and then call cops - then hold charges over his head. Scary # and they can ruin lives. I' guess guys might do same/similar, but I've only seen if from my POV so it' was females doing this.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I enjoyed this story about L.Ron Hubbard... during WW2 he was a captain of a sub that he said was engaged in a 60 hour battle with 2 Japanese subs, much later investigation determined conclusively there were never any Japanese submarines in the area at the time he said. Charlatans,smooth talkers,manipulators and the ilk pray on the lost and dependent.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

All humans desire meaning & purpose.

The problem is though, we're all bound to a meaningless existence where their is no real purpose... So obviously we're all prone to be "duped" into joining a cult of some kind, from a overwhelming desire to gain a false sense of meaning and purpose.

For most, its just socially acceptable cults like mainstream religion, sports, political alignments, Hollywood entertainment, etc... For others, its something more extreme.

Basically, as humans we only have 2 choices in life, just give up altogether and live a life of constant and pure misery... or search out some BS cult, until you find one that gives you a false sense of meaning & purpose.

2 choices really? many people live long and fruitful lives independent yet helping the society,their fellow man or raising their children to to be good honest hard working adults. For many thats enough, its when ego's and expectations are out of whack that people become controlling or disillusioned. H e l l you got people born in the dirt and destitution in Africa living more meaningful lives, than a lot of the cynical people in first world countries world wide. Unless you are in an extreme situation and lets face if you are in a first world country and on these boards constantly its likely your situation isn't extreme, in the limited days in this world your happiness,contentment and fulfillment is still is or was largely up to you.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Rajneesh and Osho are one and the same dude. Just like Blackwater - rebranded as Xi or whatever.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

i know that
i didnt say otherwise

it wasnt the osho movement though

top topics

join