It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question About Ghosts and Ouiji Boards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I know this is a topic that's been discussed on occassion before but this has really been bothering me recently so I thought I would post this question.

I’ve got a very close friend I’ve known for over ten years. Over the course of that time, he and his family have told me stories about things that have gone on in their house that's had my hair standing on end time and time again. They’ve told me things about astral projection, ghosts, levitations, babies talking, being in two places at the same time, etc. all of which have happened at one time or another to them in the house where my friend grew up.

Anyhow, last weekend I went visiting his family and we got to talking about Ouiji boards. My friend’s mother, Janice, and her sister Joan had been using an Ouiji board at Joan’s house for a long time. To see them use it was frightening in itself. They would move incredibly fast on the thing and the puck (or whatever it is actually called) was almost moving as if it had a mind of its own. Apparently they were communicating on a regular basis with the ghosts of two sisters named Mary Beth and Katherine who had lived in a farmhouse that burned down where Joan’s house is standing now. A lot of suburban neighborhoods are built on sold off farm land so the idea of there being a farmhouse on the spot where Joan’s house is standing doesn’t surprise me.

But what did surprise me was this—and this is the crux of my question—after a time, they decided to try using the Ouiji board at Janice’s house rather than Joan’s. They were still able to communicate with the two ghosts right away. This is what struck me as odd because I had always thought ghosts were “local” to a specific location—a cemetery, a house, etc. So how could the two ghosts communicate with them 25 miles away at Janice’s house? Or are the two ghosts not ghosts at all, but instead are… something else? Or is this all just a figment of their imagination, maybe a self-hypnotic state? Anyone have any idea?

As a post-script, one day they were communicating with the two ghosts through the Ouiji board and the ghosts told Janice something that scared them both almost out of their minds. They immediately stopped and in terror and panic, they actually burned the Ouiji board right then and smashed the puck so they wouldn’t be tempted to use the thing ever again. Janice was pregnant with my friend’s sister at the time and everyone thinks it had something to do with the baby, but to this day Janice has refused to ever talk about it or tell anyone what those ghosts finally said to them to make them stop. I’ve asked her to try using the board again and even offered to do it with her but he has flatly refused and said she will never, ever use one again and neither should I.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Ouija Board Product Safety Guidelines

Ouija boards are a tool for introducing novices to divination and sorcery.

In most cases, what is actually taking place is subconscious movement of the planchette by the people present.

However, the formulas for using the Ouija board typically involve appeals for outside spirits to answer questions by influencing the movement of the planchette.

The problem with that is that it amounts to granting permission for a spirit to take at least partial control of your body.

Doing so is extremely dangerous and can lead to some very unpleasant consequences, including demonic possession.

A far safer and more beneficial approach to spiritual matters is to meditate.

Every “fast track to spiritual awareness” I have examined to date – including the Ouija board – tends to be a fast track to darkness and misfortune.

I advise seeking love, light and truth, rather than the influence of anonymous spirits you don't even know and cannot trust.

There are already several topics on the subject of Ouija boards, and I recommend checking them out:

Ouija Boards On ATS And Affiliates.

Good luck with your studies, and remember to always stay true to yourself.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
So how could the two ghosts communicate with them 25 miles away at Janice’s house? Or are the two ghosts not ghosts at all, but instead are… something else? Or is this all just a figment of their imagination, maybe a self-hypnotic state? Anyone have any idea?

Aha! Very scientific minded, nice work
! I guess that's a fancy way of me saying I don't know.

...he has flatly refused and said she will never, ever use one again and neither should I.

This is good advice. I believe they do work, but are not for 'playing with ghosts'. Nothing you can do with the board can be worth it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
apparently, as iv'e posted on another topic, the planchette/glasss or whatevr moves by an idiomotor response of the brain, whereby you are actually moving the glass subconciously without realising it. and it will move to whatever u want it to in your subconcious

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I suggest doing a search, as there are a lot of threads on this already.....with a lot good advice to stay away from these boards......Just for what's it worth the Ouija isn't a toy and IMHO shouldn't be messed with at all. I am experianced and know how to protect myself and I don't mess with them....Playing with the Quija is just asking for trouble. What makes it dangerous is that you are opening yourself, creating an invitation, from whatever comes through....there are ways to protect yourself, but the majority of people have no idea what they are doing...they are playing.....I am not Christian and I don't believe in "Satan" as they do.....but there are negative entities and you offer any of them to come through.....they are sly and they will tell you enough fact and truth to fool you.....you'd do better to study and learn...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I won't broach the subject of the board or weather you should be playing with one - that's already been answered.
But the question concerning the sisters being contacted at a different location - this is not a problem for a non-physical being. In my experiance, when they are called they come to you regardless of where you are.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
What makes it dangerous is that you are opening yourself, creating an invitation, from whatever comes through....

there are negative entities and you offer any of them to come through.....they are sly and they will tell you enough fact and truth to fool you.....

This message was so valuable they needed to be seen again. Thanks LadyV

[edit on 17-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS
I won't broach the subject of the board or weather you should be playing with one - that's already been answered.
But the question concerning the sisters being contacted at a different location - this is not a problem for a non-physical being. In my experiance, when they are called they come to you regardless of where you are.

Thank you Angela. The only one who answered the question. I always thought ghosts or spirits were localized but apparently I'm wrong.
Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

But what did surprise me was this—and this is the crux of my question—after a time, they decided to try using the Ouiji board at Janice’s house rather than Joan’s. They were still able to communicate with the two ghosts right away. This is what struck me as odd because I had always thought ghosts were “local” to a specific location—a cemetery, a house, etc. So how could the two ghosts communicate with them 25 miles away at Janice’s house? Or are the two ghosts not ghosts at all, but instead are… something else? Or is this all just a figment of their imagination, maybe a self-hypnotic state? Anyone have any idea?

Phantoms are localized as they are just psychic imprints of events, Ghosts are usually localized but not bound. The board itself is the focal point for the entities, kind of like a beacon they can home in on to make contact...like a doorway, or window between planes. That's why it worked in both locations.

As others mentioned though, the dangers with Ouija and Auto Writing is that in essence it's a partial possession...so those going into this should keep this in mind, and be sure their will can win out in case things start to go wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yes, unless your are truly gifted in the arts of Necromancy, I would have to say that it would be in your best interest to stay away from the boards. Then again, it depends on how badly you really want your question to be answered, some would give alot up to have their questions answered, such is Divination.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I still find it amusing that the most popular incarnation of the Ouija board in modern society is made by Milton Bradley - the same company (a subsidiary of Hasbro) that makes Twister, Life, and Battleship, among others.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
I still find it amusing that the most popular incarnation of the Ouija board in modern society is made by Milton Bradley - the same company (a subsidiary of Hasbro) that makes Twister, Life, and Battleship, among others.

I'm not surprised it's the same producer as the game of Life. Have you ever played it? Talk about depressing. One direction for your life pre-determined by the makers. I'll have to start a new thread on this one called - The game of Life, conspiracy to advocate suicide.

Still, not sure why you'd feel corporations deserve any halo. Let's talk about TSR for a moment, shall we?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

Thank you Angela. The only one who answered the question. I always thought ghosts or spirits were localized but apparently I'm wrong.
Thanks again!

Your welcome. How did everything turn out? Did you learn what you were hoping to?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sometimes i wish on here that i can believe that the paranormal exists, having used the same boards im just convinced its in the persons mind. Nothing happens to 99.9 %of people who dabble in so called spiritualism. So you can say its another non proven thing.

new topics

top topics

join