It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul: I'll Filibuster Trump's Warmónger Torturer Cabinet Picks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well Rand is not having any of it:

www.youtube.com...

We're talking about Gina Haspel here, Trumps nominee for CIA.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) declared that he would do everything in his power to block President Danald Trump's pick for CIA director, Gina Haspel, because of her role running a torture program at a secret detention facility during George W. Bush's administration. "There are a few things in life where it is worth standing up and saying, 'Enough is enough. This is wrong. This is, you know, this is beneath contempt,'

reason.com...

This isn't Rand Paul's first rodeo. In 2013 he pulled out a 13-hour filibuster against Obama's nominee to the run the CIA.

I'm glad Rand is being consistent here in what he claims to stand for. Always had a soft spot for the feller. It's more so an opportunity for Paul to take a stand on drones since, according to the Ron Paul Liberty Report, more Civilians have been killed with Illegal Drone Strikes in 9 Months of this administration than the prior. Not sure he'd get far but it's great. Doing a hell of a lot better than the spineless Dems I tell ya.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Is she the one who is wanted in Germany?.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

True but wasn't she reporting to John Brennan. Where is the protest to Brennan?
edit on 21-3-2018 by amfirst1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Yep. This is the first move by Trump that has really made me shake my head. I hope Rand Paul is successful in raising awareness and stopping this ridiculous appointment.

Shame on you Trump.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Surely Trump could have found someone better. If she's willing to allow torture of other people what makes anyone think she won't allow spying or whatever other nefarious things the CIA has at it's disposal?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Trump has dealt with a constant filibuster, so I'm not seeing the big deal here.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

So Trump's appointee has connections with the Obama administration? Why is that a good thing exactly? Does Trump not realize that she may be a DNC spy or something?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Dems probably have invested interest. Don't need another Bush era war monger type handling this. I'm not typically a Rand supporter but this is one area he handles well.
#standwithrand

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So Trump's appointee has connections with the Obama administration? Why is that a good thing exactly? Does Trump not realize that she may be a DNC spy or something?

Haha, beautiful!

The ole Bugs Bunny reversal, I love it!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Ummm...pffft...what's a little waterboarding...among friends...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Haha, beautiful!

The ole Bugs Bunny reversal, I love it!

Yeah. I saw what he did there. Gave him a star.
edit on 21-3-2018 by DogStarIn1066 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
She is a good pick in my eyes. Tons of experience and non-partisan. I mean, what do all of you think the CIA does? So she was in the CIA when enhanced interrogation was used during the 'War on Terror". So where 1000's of CIA employees so are they all complicit or just the ones that Trump wants to nominate.

This is a good article from a former collegue who does guest shots on CNN. It is worth a read.

Link

What the far left and right can't absorb is that the CIA follows political direction from the White House and the Hill. But more to the point concerning enhanced interrogation, the CIA takes its legal guidance from the courts, the Department of Justice and Congress. Like the police, an individual CIA officer does not get to decide what is legal and what isn't, let alone come up with a personal interpretation of whether an interrogation violates the United Nations Convention against Torture or not. Haspel was not the architect of the CIA's enhanced interrogations.

This program was parachuted onto the CIA's Directorate of Operations, made all the more ambiguous because it occurred in the panic of the opening days of the "war on terror." Agreed, Haspel could have resigned and found an avenue of protest. But it seems to me that the real protesting should have been done in the halls of Congress and the Department of Justice. In any event, her experience in intelligence and ability to moderate the president's worst instincts outweigh these failures.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

YouSir

I supposed you should ask the Japanese that America executed for waterboarding Americans during WW2.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Torture is torture and people will say anything under enough duress.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

YouSir

For one thing torture only works to get people to say things YOU want them to say. It does not get useful information any better than non-coercive techniques.

Also it says more about the people doing the torturing than anything else.

It is inhuman, by definition, to treat people as less than human.

Finally, it is very cruel. We don't need to go out of our way to have cruelty inflicted on our fellow humans. The entire universe is trying to kill us on a second by second basis. It is just not very good at it.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

YouSir

The entire universe is trying to kill us on a second by second basis. It is just not very good at it.

Thanks.

Actually as of now the universe is still undefeated.

Universe for President 2020!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

YouSir

The entire universe is trying to kill us on a second by second basis. It is just not very good at it.

Thanks.

Actually as of now the universe is still undefeated.

Universe for President 2020!

Agreed but the universe is so unorganized in its methods. Almost like it had all the time in the world to kill us.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

There are some people who would disagree with you. Some people talk without duress...some need a push. Do you have first hand knowledge that 'torture' does not get results?
edit on Marpm31pmf0000002018-03-21T15:47:37-05:000337 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

There are some people who would disagree with you. Some people talk without duress...some need a push. Do you have first hand knowledge that 'torture' does not get results?

I'd be willing to bet it does get results, depending on who pays for them lying during the interrogation. But, I'm sure there are some that will die brutally for their ideology(s).

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I have never been involved in a military style waterboarding session. If one is used on a suspected terrorist so be it.

When the media wants to say it works...it does

www.theguardian.com...

When they want to say it does not...is does not...

www.theguardian.com...

If waterboarding every terrorist or combatant in the world will save one US life I say go for it....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join