It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Planning on Ordering F-35Bs, a Multipurpose Aircraft Carrier

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Japan's main governing Liberal Democratic Party plans to propose introducing F-35B fighter jets and a multi-purpose aircraft carrier to be operated under the country's defense-only stance.

The government is to review the National Defense Program Guidelines this year for the first time in 5 years.

On Tuesday, the LDP panel on national security compiled a set of proposals to be considered.

The panel stressed the need to enhance Japan's defense capabilities both in quality and quantity. It said North Korea's nuclear and missile development and China's military buildup and growing maritime presence are creating a security crisis.

The panel will call for procuring a multi-purpose aircraft carrier that can also serve as a hospital ship. It will be operated solely for defense purposes. Retrofitting of the Maritime Self-Defense Force's destroyer Izumo is to be listed as an option.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

It will be interesting to see if the Japanese go with a new build or just convert the Izumo. I'd actually expect the former rather than the latter, but who knows. Japan has been working up to this point for decades now. And here we are. Japan about to get a carrier...

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Japanese Marines?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Oh, they're a thing. You didn't know?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It said North Korea's nuclear and missile development and China's military buildup and growing maritime presence are creating a security crisis.

Aircraft Carrier Strike Groups are creating a Regional Security 'Crisis'. Korean nuclear deterrent is being developed to counter that specific threat.

There is no other purpose for a carrier than to project force.

Build them, the 'enemy' knows bobbing cork technology is obsolete.
edit on 21-3-2018 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Japanese Marines?

There might still be a few left over from last time.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

It said North Korea's nuclear and missile development and China's military buildup and growing maritime presence are creating a security crisis.

Aircraft Carrier Strike Groups are creating a Regional Security 'Crisis'. Korean nuclear deterrent is being developed to counter that specific threat.

Build them, the 'enemy' knows bobbing cork technology is obsolete.

How can "obsolete" technology create a "crisis"? And why is China spending Billions on building and expansing their "obsolete" technology?

(Also the amount of force Japan can "project" from a jeep carrier carrying a handful of aircraft is miniscule. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of islands that you claim and other people seem intent on infringing on, it's probably a handy tool for deterrence along with an amphib group)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Thank you. I'm tagging out on this conversation. I've been round and round perdition's flame with intrptr. Your turn. When you're tired, tag me back.

More seriously, it remains to be seen if it will be the Izumo or a new ship. If its a new ship, it might be a 'real' carrier rather than a jeep.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

How can "obsolete" technology create a "crisis"? And why is China spending Billions on building and expansing their "obsolete" technology?

China has two carriers, one is converted form another country the other is undergoing trials, big deal.

"Crisis" is fabricated, used as the excuse to aggressively occupy oceans on the other side of the planet far from home to justify our threatening posture, using nuclear armed aircraft carrier strike groups, that are the real crisis as far as eastern Pacific nationsl like China are concerned.

Sit down chicken little., the world is tired of you crying havoc to unleash war on other sovereign nations.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

ah screw it.

China has two carriers, one is converted form another country the other is undergoing trials, big deal.

And building a third. And stating they are going to build nuclear powered carriers which they want the first one by 2025.

www.scmp.com...

www.scmp.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If only the Japanese had announced they were building a carrier to liberate themselves from the US "occupation" (haha), then the same poster would be excited about the highly advanced defensive capabilities afforded by this new project.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

ah screw it.

And building a third. And stating they are going to build nuclear powered carriers which they want the first one by 2025.

www.scmp.com...

www.scmp.com...

We been down this road before. Y'all crying crisis because China has a carrier... pfft.

Just illuminating the terrain. I'd be more worried about all the submarines, especially the Song Class diesels.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Submarines don't project power. Carriers do. China wants to project power. That's what is concerning.

I'm not sure any of us have called it a crisis, but open to correction with a cite.

If we're talking subs, I'm not worried about the Song: they have limited range and will be facing armed XLUUVs soon enough. I am more worried about the Type 095 submarines. Those subs be global in their reach.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
If only the Japanese had announced they were building a carrier to liberate themselves from the US "occupation" (haha), then the same poster would be excited about the highly advanced defensive capabilities afforded by this new project.

This. The US "occupies" dozens of countries, where we've been invited.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

As I said, China wants to project power:

www.scmp.com...

Carriers project power.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Is China looking at being a Police force like the UN or USA?
Politics aside it will be great for Japan to push forward with its technology pace in regard to heavy industries again...With natural disasters as well getting mass supplies to remote areas Carriers are a great way of doing it.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

China has made it plain they have their own interests in the world and will be enforcing them.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Submarines don't project power. Carriers do. China wants to project power. That's what is concerning.

Except, way over there, thats their backyard, not ours.

Thats called defensive posturing.

We are the ones with carrier strike groups way over there , in their backyard.

Nothing "wanting to" about that, just plain offensive.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

If they were just building a few carriers, as I have said multiple times, then it wouldn't be a big deal. They are building NUCLEAR carriers and all the replenishing ships they need to have a fleet that can operate anywhere in the world.

That. is. not. defensive.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

If they were just building a few carriers, as I have said multiple times, then it wouldn't be a big deal. They are building NUCLEAR carriers and all the replenishing ships they need to have a fleet that can operate anywhere in the world.

That. is. not. defensive.

But okay if we do that to them?

Your Hypocritical slip is showing.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
China builds multiple fleet carriers:

originally posted by: intrptr
Except, way over there, thats their backyard, not ours.

Thats called defensive posturing.

Japan considers jeep carrier and:

Alright, then...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join