It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have to take this test if you want to vote...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hi guys,

Didn't want to place this in the political forum because there is a lot of anger out there...
The off-topic section of ATS (I still call this place B.T.S.) is my favorite place because of the generally well-mannered people and that's why I am posting it here...keep it light.

Anyways...

The municipal elections are underway here in the Netherlands and the city of Rotterdam has issued a warning for a letter that is circulating, with official logo's and everything, that every citizen must partake in an online test to see if their political knowledge is good enough to vote. They received a personal login for a website and if you passed the test you would be allowed to vote.

I thought it was hilarious and it makes you think what kind of government we'd have if this was a thing. (yes, I know it's the death of democracy)

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Why would a simple test of familiarity be the death of democracy? Things like a general knowledge of what is being voted on, for instance, an understanding of the various proposals and what they will mean... I mean, I see how the person supervising the test could be heavy handed but that possibility exists regardless. Again, would the requirement of an informed vote as opposed to a knee-jerk vote be really such a bad thing, if implemented properly (ie not unfairly or biased)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

edit on 20-3-2018 by Stromth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wha, you don't want all your refugees to vote?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Stromth

Yeah I also saw it as a great way to weed out those populists but I believe somewhere along the line I got the idea a democracy is where every citizen gets a vote, no matter how dumb...

Trust me, there are a lot of times, in a conversation, when I think to myself that it's ridiculous this person get's to vote

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I think dyslectic people are screwed...

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Here is a competency test from 1964
Had to pass to vote

a reply to: operation mindcrime

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Whahahahaha....that's amazing!!

Was that really to be able to elect a representatives to form a governing body?

Where was this?

Peace

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
From what I can tell Louisiana.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   
That Is funny heh.

Sadly a goodly amount of people would fail such a test.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   
They would just get a cheat sheet with the answers pre-printed. It would only work the first time.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Well I guess in this day and age it should be possible to get specific personal questions through an online exam with question based on the data they mined about you...

Peace

top topics

join