It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX indicates it will manufacture the BFR rocket in Los Angeles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The company seeks to use an 18-acre site at Berth 240 in the port "for the construction and operation of a facility to manufacture large commercial transportation vessels." Operations at the site would include "research and development of transportation vessels and would likely include general manufacturing procedures such as welding, composite curing, cleaning, painting, and assembly operations." Completed vessels would need to be transported by water due to their size, the document states, as a means to explain why the company needs a facility immediately adjacent to the water.

LINK

This is good news for industry here in SoCal and for the Port. SpaceX hasn't specifically identified what these "large commercial transportation vessels" are but it's a pretty good guess. This along with the development of the AltaSea campus and It looks like the L.A. harbor will be leading the way into the future.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61
I was reading about this last night. I think it’s a great idea to do this but why did they ditch Texas? I didn’t look that up.Either way good to see SpaceX doing what needs to be done.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Their facility here in El Segundo is only a few miles from the port. I'm guessing that had to be a factor.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
"BFR." That's funny.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

awwwww I was hoping the "F" in BFR stood for something other than Falcon. It would have been awesome.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil
awwwww I was hoping the "F" in BFR stood for something other than Falcon. It would have been awesome.

I'm definitely reading as "Big F**cking Rocket."

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Looks like there was possibly a little backpedalling-

The BFR is an in-development, privately owned rocket that’s designed to go to Mars. The name is traditionally assumed to mean “Big F**king Rocket,” although there are signs that SpaceX is stepping back from this; they really meant it to stand for “Big Falcon Rocket,” they claim — for obvious reasons.

LINK

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

The company seeks to use an 18-acre site at Berth 240 in the port "for the construction and operation of a facility to manufacture large commercial transportation vessels." Operations at the site would include "research and development of transportation vessels and would likely include general manufacturing procedures such as welding, composite curing, cleaning, painting, and assembly operations." Completed vessels would need to be transported by water due to their size, the document states, as a means to explain why the company needs a facility immediately adjacent to the water.

LINK

This is good news for industry here in SoCal and for the Port. SpaceX hasn't specifically identified what these "large commercial transportation vessels" are but it's a pretty good guess. This along with the development of the AltaSea campus and It looks like the L.A. harbor will be leading the way into the future.

Thanks for the news! SnF for you. I used to live in LA so I know how congested it is; especially on the West side near the water. Where'd they find the room for the facility to build the BFR? Isn't LAX in El Segundo?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

"BFR", huh.

Like the "BFG" from the original DOOM series lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
They're eyeing the site of the old Southwest Marine Shipyard, which built 40 Navy destroyers during WWII but has been out of use for 20+ years.

Also yes, the main SpaceX facility in El Segundo is just east of LAX.

ETA : CORRECTION SpaceX is actually in the neighboring city of Hawthorne, not El Segundo. Sorry about that!
edit on 3 20 2018 by underpass61 because: correction

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

They're eyeing the site of the old Southwest Marine Shipyard, which built 40 Navy destroyers during WWII but has been out of use for 20+ years.

Also yes, the main SpaceX facility in El Segundo is just east of LAX.

ETA : CORRECTION SpaceX is actually in the neighboring city of Hawthorne, not El Segundo. Sorry about that!

Ok, thanks. Wow, this is very exciting! Best of luck to SpaceX!

Eta-I wonder if it would be easier to build the BFR in LEO....? Then there wouldn't be any size constraints and they could make it really BIG!
edit on 21-3-2018 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I guess 18 acres is big enough to satisfy their needs. Also, the Port of L.A. is really BIG, the #1 container shipping port in North America.
The best part is it will be adding 750 jobs - I live portside so this is really going to help the local economy.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Why do I get the feeling that Musk is like the Billionaire from Contact who just happened to build a second space/time portal thingee just for the heck of it. We will see him and others Lift off for Mars and we will be left holding the bag.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I guess 18 acres is big enough to satisfy their needs. Also, the Port of L.A. is really BIG, the #1 container shipping port in North America.
The best part is it will be adding 750 jobs - I live portside so this is really going to help the local economy.

Yes, the pport of LA is really BIG. It's almost like a city all it own. I guess it the obvious place to build the Big F'n Rocket! lol!

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Looks like it's official now -

LINK

posted on Apr, 18 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Well I'll be darned - small world. I spent the best part of a year at Southwest Marine back in 1990 (iirc) while my ship, USS Gary (FFG-51) was in a floating drydock getting overhauled. Those guys did good work.

top topics

join