It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volunteer police to patrol schools

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Dependant on one's reasons for doing so of course, i really don't imagine it's a good idea for the average citizen to attempt to play Police.

Most real Police don't even understand the entirety of the laws that they are there to uphold, and more often than not require a Sergeant or above to clarify and/or check there homework.

We need better-qualified officers of the law with appropriate training and years under there belts to police our nation not some neighborhood watch type with a uniform complex and own agenda to satisfy.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The problem at this point is, In the USA, if you don't have a degree of at least a bachelors, and jump through a bunch of red tape you are basically treated like scum for any given profession.

Cops are being required to get Bachelors now, and I know a bunch of agencies around me that are pushing their officers towards Masters degrees.

People would want said 'volunteers' to have degrees too, and no one is going to take a un-paid/volunteer job after getting a degree.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh, I don't see it the same way in my area, our cops are great, regular and volunteer.
Most specials volunteer because it so difficult to get into the regular service. My police area is only recruiting specials at the moment due to budget cuts.
Personally I have the utmost respect for the specials I meet on weekend nights, they are professional, friendly, and risking their lives for no pay.
...and if they are the face of the next intake of regular cops here I'm more than happy.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Could it be through that its so difficult to get into the regular service because there are so many volunteer specials?

You see the dilemma?

Real Police is a calling, and in many ways somewhat more than just a job, if they are doing it correctly.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
People would want said 'volunteers' to have degrees too, and no one is going to take a un-paid/volunteer job after getting a degree.

Cops with bachelor degrees are common in the UK now, same as the volunteer special constables who are volunteering to improve their chances when the next 'regular' recruitment intake happens.
I know a couple of specials, and their day job is police staff in the offices, but do a night or day a week as constables. The two I know genuinely do it because they care for their community. They are in a rural town, and are the only police presence when they are on duty, with back-up a good half hour away. They have my respect and the respect of their townsfolk.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

McDonalds staff with bachelor degrees are common in the UK now as well.

I will give you this rural Policing and city Policing are somewhat of a different kettle of fish.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Could it be through that its so difficult to get into the regular service because there are so many volunteer specials?

You see the dilemma?

Real Police is a calling, and in many ways somewhat more than just a job, if they are doing it correctly.
Good question, but with this conservative government we aren't gonna get any new regulars anytime soon, we've lost another 200 constables in my area this year due to budget cuts.
Oh, and they are 'real' police, they are trained to the same standards just part time. They have the same powers of arrest off duty or on duty. One caught a stalker who was terrorising a woman in the next street from me recently, he took it upon himself to gather the evidence she needed in his off duty time, the guy is a hero in my mind.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Odd you brought that up, my 93 year old father suggested the same thing to me just the other day. We mulled it over and thought it might be a good place for our unemployed or underemployed war veterans to volunteer to work.

Problem is, at least in the US, is that the people who control things in the US have decided that its been proven wrong to have even uniformed Cops in the schools because they routinely arrest Black wrong-doers in the schools at a far higher rate than other demographics. Presumbably that's because, as licensed peace officers, they're required to arrest those committing crimes "in plain view" of the Peace Officer.

However, using volunteers might actually solve that problem; they'd not be required to arrest those committing crimes in plain view and could simply give the Blacks a pass. The volunteers would be instructed to protect against ONLY perceived "outsider" threats. So you're idea might be quite worthy of consideration!

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

It would violate federal minimum wage laws.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Will that evidence even be admissible in court given the circumstance in which it was collected?

The merit of the act is unquestionable of course but the implementation of the law, well that's a different story.

If they were trained to the same standards why deviate from protocol in such a manner?

As to the cuts by our Tory gooberment, and others, regarding our Police numbers, its a complete travesty really.

edit on 20-3-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah "average" in America... where we eat tide pods and riot over sports victories... a 98 IQ (america's average) is a little better than functionally retarded.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Honestly? Is volunteering not allowed?
Wow that seems nuts to me, our Royal National Lifeboat Institution are all volunteers, risking their lives to save mariners and only being paid expenses and a cup of tea or some cake when they get back to their base.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have been trying to get this implemented since Sandy Hook. I have gone to school board meetings, discussed with local and state reps as well as local LEO's.

The problem is not good retired LEO's or service people. It is getting it to be allowed by the governing body which is the local school board in every county. Even if the state mandated it there is still a local vote and as you know school teachers and admins are very liberal for the most part which has made it next to impossible. Currently we are trying to get into local private schools.

There is no need for uniformed deterrents. Plain clothes. We are also offering services for K-9's on site.

Something needs to be done.....

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Honestly? Is volunteering not allowed?
Wow that seems nuts to me, our Royal National Lifeboat Institution are all volunteers, risking their lives to save mariners and only being paid expenses and a cup of tea or some cake when they get back to their base.

"Volunteering" has rules. Otherwise I could round up some folks to "volunteer" on my farm.

There are multiple problems. Who is paying the liability insurance for the "volunteer" carrying a firearm on property? Is he a contractor and expected to carry his own?

We have volunteer services, like firemen. The thing is, you are asking people who are typically paid to work for free. If that kind of thing is allowed, its so easy to exploit that we would have slavery in the US in no time. Especially given all the illegal immigrants we get.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Gosh yes, the guy got convicted and a suspended prison sentence with a 3 year restraining order.
We can all use citizens powers to gather evidence of crimes but a warrant carrying special can make an arrest with more confidence than say you or I, even off duty.
Nope, nothing I can criticise about that guy's actions above and beyond duty, I'd post a link but it kind of whittles down my address to only a street away so unfortunately it's gonna be just my word on that incident.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

I take exception to uniformed deterrents. Putting people in uniform makes them visible, and is the best way to prevent things. Its the same with "ghost graphics" on patrol cars...cops hiding out aren't cops looking to prevent crime. They are looking to respond to it after its happened.

Im not thinking that is the goal here.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So in what capacity was he Police special called, as a witness or a Police witness, given that they were not on duty at the time?

You see the manner in which any evidence is collected could indeed influence a stalking case.

If the guy was guilty then so be it but any decent lawyer would have raised the issue.

edit on 20-3-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
We have volunteer services, like firemen.

So volunteering for a community is not against federal law then? I'm confused?
The volunteer police here are governed and covered regarding liability the same as regular police.
If volunteer firefighters are allowed why do you think volunteer police would be against federal law? I don't see much difference, protecting the public just in different ways.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

In the future, any guards will be the first to die.

Probably while sitting in their 'guard shack', eating donuts and watching TV.

Meanwhile, in between rare mass shootings and bored out of their minds, they will be called by admin to brutalize students, defacto police state reps for the New World Order.

Get used to it...

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I'm sure the issue was raised by the defence, but I don't know because you'd have to pay for the court record to find that specific answer. It was a successful conviction is all I can say, and the special assisted a member of the public while off duty, after learning of the woman's distress while on duty.
I can't imagine what issue you could have with that?
The victim was very happy he helped.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join