It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red arrows jet crashes north wales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
A Red Arrows jet has reportedly crashed at RAF Valley in North Wales, at around 13:30 GMT. Two airmen were on board, and ambulances dispatched to scene of crash. No further news as yet on condition of airmen, or cause of crash. Here's hoping both aviators are ok. RAF Valley is a Hawk training base that the Red Arrows often use.

www.bbc.co.uk...

news.sky.com...

Also being reported on Sky News
edit on 2032018 by nelloh62 because: update

edit on 2032018 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2032018 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
They have had a run of bad luck in recent years I hope there were survivors.
edit on 20/3/18 by macpdm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
A slightly updated article from Daily Mail

Two people are believed to have been on board the Red Arrows jet aircraft when it came down at RAF Valley on Anglesey in North Wales. Rumours are circulating that the pilot was forced to eject from the aircraft, which was returning to RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire, but these have not yet been verified.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Pilot ejected according to the report here? www.airlive.net...
edit on 20-3-2018 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
One dead...one critical in hospital...Rip to the Tech in the back seat...😟

link   

edit on 20-3-2018 by Silentvulcan because: Multi post

link   

link   

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Silentvulcan

Gah, that is awful news. I was hoping for the best, but feared the worst when they ejected at that height.
Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Further update; (as posted above by silentvulcan), the RAF have just confirmed the pilot survived, but is in hospital. Sadly, the RAF Tech in rear seat did not survive the crash.
edit on 2032018 by nelloh62 because: update

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
We've got some bad weather visiting us at the moment so for high risk flying it does seem a bit daft to send someone up to probably do very risky moves.

The Mrs was a benificiary of the old school Red Arrows where they were based in Cyprus and thus had pretty much good weather for most of the year and she along with many other kids would rate the display and if it was good the pilots would do a few extra turns to establish client happiness.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Whats the sequence on a twin seat ejection, rear first?

RIP to the engineer.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If the pilot had command ejection selected they both should of gone when the pilot ejected...pretty sure normally the instructor sits in the back of the hawk and the student in the front..however in this case the pilot would of been in the front and the ground crew would have been in the back. I hope this isn’t a case of someone not selecting the correct ejection sequence or leaving a pin in and it was not noticed on the see-off...even experienced pilots make this mistake...never mind one of the groundcrew...πŸ˜”

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Just been doing a bit of reading. In a Hawk with command eject 'on' the rear seat firing will then start the front seat ejection sequence,if command eject selected off then both seats fire independently. On the Hawk it was designed to have the instructor in the back seat so if carrying a passenger in the back seat then the command eject would probably be turned off.

Hope this answers a few questions but to my mind it opens up a whole lot more...worked on T1’s for many years and was at Valley until last year...probably know the guy in the back too...no name been given yet...
Silentvulcan

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silentvulcan
Just been doing a bit of reading. In a Hawk with command eject 'on' the rear seat firing will then start the front seat ejection sequence,if command eject selected off then both seats fire independently. On the Hawk it was designed to have the instructor in the back seat so if carrying a passenger in the back seat then the command eject would probably be turned off.

Hope this answers a few questions but to my mind it opens up a whole lot more...worked on T1’s for many years and was at Valley until last year...probably know the guy in the back too...no name been given yet...
Silentvulcan

# although it makes it no better I hope you dont know him/her.

I was thinking that the Hawk is a trainer so back seat should have an override to prevent a jumpy student jumping out. But then when they fly for Red Arrows carrying a 'passenger' then they would need to switch it around? But never heard of this, I bet this signals the end of passengers.

top topics

join