It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you say that there are more/less/the same amount of gun laws than 10/20/30 years ago?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The answer to my title, is not even relevant. The question is, if you think the number of gun laws are the same or more, then why are there more shootings now then in the past. If you say there are less gun laws, what law that was removed, lead to the increase of shootings?

If laws are not part of the mass shooting issue, why do you want more laws?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Various Martial arts weapons arose from weapons bans in ancient China and Japan.

Nun Chaku (two sticks attached by chord) began as a wheat threshing tool. Shurikan (throwing stars), staff, tonfu, etc. all arose because peasants weren't allowed to own edged weapons (swords and knives) or crossbows.

Most of Martial arts hand to had combat was developed for the same reason.

Possession of arms in many states throughout history was a death penalty.

edit on 20-3-2018 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There are more people. That's why there are more shootings.
edit on 20-3-2018 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Fat fingers again.
edit on 20-3-2018 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Still a rare event comparatively speaking. More kids die from food poisoning, but thats hardly sensationalized by the tabloid main stream media.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
its because there is an agenda. The 100 mass shooting before these last 3 only 4 or 5 used an ar-15.

Now the last 3 in a row used an AR-15. Coincidence? could be.. But hmmm

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

I will need to see proof that gun deaths are increasing.

In fact I have seen the opposite, that gun violence, along with violence of all sorts, has been generally decreasing for decades, with spikes here and there.

If we are just focusing on mass shootings, it seems that although there are some that have been extremely deadly, the frequency of these is also not increasing.

I would submit that it is less about these increasing, and more about the increased media coverage of these events making it feel like they are increasing.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Access and morality have changed not the gun laws themselves. If a child or anyone unstable can reach a gun there's a problem. When a person is irresponsible in storing or selling a gun that is in violation of current gun laws they themselves should be charged with the crime that gun was involved in.

Guns are a huge responsibility and unfortunately parents, gun owners, and gun stores are failing at being responsible and have for many years thus the access by those that have problems and children are able to almost readily get their hands on them.

The solution is biometric trigger locks for every gun. Those found without a trigger lock are charged in the same manner as one would be charged with extreme negligence in a crime.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: hombero

Still a rare event comparatively speaking. More kids die from food poisoning, but thats hardly sensationalized by the tabloid main stream media.

As a media stringer, I can tell you that "if it bleeds, it leads" who wants to watch a kid pukeing when you can see blood in the streets?

It's capitalism, good old American competition for viewers and ratings. Business as usual....

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Welll Grambler the mas shooting here are increasing. Vegas Texas and now Florida back to back to back .

It is what it is but they sure seem like they are increasing..

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
There are not more shootings now then in the past .
www.pewsocialtrends.org...
Overall down 49% !!!!!! from 1990
back then 21000 people a year now 11000

As for types ( aka school shootings or ( remember when the term going postal was made ? )
The difference now is when they happen they are posted every ware .
In 1990 the net barly existed and even cable wasn't every ware many people still had 3 channels so watched little tv .
the cell phone was still a dream ( except for the rich .

So news was slow to get out and stuck to the main events at the time No room for a school shooting when there are 5 wars to report on and only 3 channels .

Crime down gun deaths down both by over 40 %
Population UP amount of guns owned every scare ( humm ) brings people out in droves to buy guns ! Just maybe its the people who push buying guns who are sure to get it in the news and hype it for max sales .

Even breath the word GUN restrictions and people buy a million more ( now who would push that ? LOL

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Gun laws. No gun laws. Not the question. The question is why the frequency of these shootings seems to be an American problem. You don't see this in other countries. An answer to that may lead to some relief in these incidents.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Paris? or the 38 in Tunisia on the beach? even in Canada at Quebec City mosque. is not just an American problem so stop acting like it is.
edit on 20-3-2018 by notsure1 because:
edit on 20-3-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The irony is the People who make the guns push for restrictions to be heard KNOWING full well the restriction will never go through and the scare will net a million sales in 2 weeks .
Or just be sure every one hears about teh latest shooting and sales skyrocket .

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Paris? or the 38 in Tunisia on the beach? It is not just an American problem so stop acting like it is.

One attack? I said frequency. Yes it IS an American problem.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Paris? or the 38 in Tunisia on the beach? It is not just an American problem so stop acting like it is.

It is a people problem. It happens in Canada too.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I think it's a matter of firearms and violence being part of American culture and it doesn't help that the pro-2nd crowd in this country, in general, are irresponsible in how they discuss/approach the issue.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

It is a people problem. It happens in Canada too.

Yup. The last one was 15 months ago. How many in the States since then?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Making it a contest on who has the most gun deaths is stupid .
( o look how much worse America is changes nothing .
en.wikipedia.org...
estimates rage from 50 to 80 MILLION in 5 or 6 years .
want something closer to our time ? en.wikipedia.org...
take all the gun deaths from the last 40 years and that is still higher .
Chances are Someone from your country had a gun that helped thous numbers .

Humans are savage All we have is a VERY very thin vernier of what we call civilization teh slightest thing sets of a chain reaction and ends with another science dig site to learn what set it off taht time ( 9 times out of 10 greed and corruption .

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I think it's a matter of firearms and violence being part of American culture and it doesn't help that the pro-2nd crowd in this country, in general, are irresponsible in how they discuss/approach the issue.

No the pro 2nd crowd is tired of whiney little foreigners thinking they have a say in our laws..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join