It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grand Lodge of England crying about discrimination against Masons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm an English Mason and I'm upset with my own Grand Lodge.

In my opinion, the United Grand Lodge of England is starting to lose the plot. It started several years ago in the late 1980s when they removed an integral section of the 3rd Degree because they felt it may "offend" the public. Then they changed the obligation and removed parts of that. Then in the Royal Arch, they changed one of the deep esoteric "secrets" because they felt it may offend some members.

Now, they have released a press statement saying that Masons are tired of being discriminated against (link below). They've even written to the Human Rights Commission. Come on UGLE, we're Masons. For hundreds of years, our rituals have been designed to protect us against discrimination. Why use the Human Rights Commission when we can use our Craft to protect us?

But that's not what really got me. In their explanation as to why we wear Aprons, in their official statement, they claim it's because the ancient stonemasons wore them to protect themselves from stone chips. They say we meet in Lodges or Temples because that's where the ancient stonemasons met while doing their work. Has the UGLE forgotten that we're speculative Masons and not operative? Do they want to remove all symbolism and esoteric from our rituals in order to please the public. This would have the effect of turning Masonry from a deep philosophical system into a Gentleman's club.

I'm a Mason and I'm protesting against my own Grand Lodge. Quite frankly I've had enough with the English constitution's pandering to the public. If this carries on long enough, I'm going to leave the English Constitution and join another constitution like the Scottish who still remember what Freemasonry is supposed to be.

Here's the news article:

www.bbc.com...

edit on 20/3/2018 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Saurus
I do hope they leave a fig leaf for hiram!
in contrast to the current standing of brothers and sisters, I cannot help but recall some dark days in the eighties where for a time I was singled out by an individual with influence who made life quite difficult ie accusations of theft, mobile rozzer stops without uniform id and when challenged about missing labels implied further inconvenience to follow. hacked off, I decided to chase this up at the local station to be informed there were no records within incidents logs.
I put it down to a few bad apples and clued up on the craft.
with regards to the present, it puzzles me why they feel discriminated against although I understand there was a mini purge within the state instruments a decade or two ago.
current mason acquaintances are a good bunch hence no bad juju from my perspective.
regards f

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
The Masons do have a history, reputation and rumors of closing ranks to protect their own when crimes take place. I am not a Mason and don't expect all lodges and locations to be the same with how much protection takes place. But like joining any gang there is going to be some guilt by association. Coming across some of the pedogate and ritual abuse allegations in the UK, the Masons have done more in hushing it up rather than exposing it.

As for what is actually fueling the discrimination, 'live by the sword, die by the sword' is the first thing that comes to mind.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saurus
..they removed an integral section of the 3rd Degree because they felt it may "offend" the public. Then they changed the obligation and removed parts of that. Then in the Royal Arch, they changed one of the deep esoteric "secrets" because they felt it may offend some members.

What sort of things did they feel might offend the public?

Or if you can't speak explicitly, in what way did anyone suspect it may offend the public?
edit on 20-3-2018 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   

What sort of things did they feel might offend the public?

Or if you can't speak explicitly, in what way did anyone suspect it may offend the public?

Certain parts of the 3rd Degree ritual deal with philosophical lessons on mortality. Taken out of context, these lessons are easily misinterpreted, and these misinterpreted sections can (and are) used as fuel by anti-masons to discredit the Fraternity.

So UGLE just dumped them for fear of possible misinterpretation by the general public. Certain parts of the ritual that have profound esoteric meaning, that are still found in other constitutions, are simply "missing" from English Emulation Ritual.

As a hypothetical example, if you saw a dark room with a skull, you might perceive it to be sinister. But for all you know, we might have invited a guest lecturer to talk about the development of Neanderthal craniums, for example. The context matters, and admittedly, taken out of context, some parts of the ceremonies may seem strange to some people, although they are actually beautiful and profound ways of presenting life lessons.

edit on 20/3/2018 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

SNIPPED
edit on 25-3-2018 by DrumsRfun because: edit for spam

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Oooooo another Mason for the upcoming Mason bonfire

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The Only Thing I Find Offensive About The Freemason(s)... Is Their Lack Of Membership These Days...

I Am Not An Aspiring Cheiftain. I Am An Indisputable Indian. And My "Better Them Than Them" Philosophy Is My Only Recourse In Choosing My Lords Over My Lords. So........

Get It Together UGLE. I'm Eating Mere Scraps Off The Floor As They Fall From The Master's Table.
I Am Filled And Full. Thirsting And Hungering For Righteousness Doesn't Necessarily Mean We Will Be Filled.... So.... Get Out There And Ward Off The Wolves Before I Starve To Death.

You Guys Owe Me Big Time!
I Have Never Doubted Your Shenanigans And Thingamajigs And Watchamacalits.... In The Face Of Pure Ignorance, Fanaticism, And Tyranny.

I Vote Network Dude In Place Of My Ol'Pal Buzzy_Wigs For "Imperial Overlord Supreme Grand Dragon Architect Moderator...."

It's Time We Took A Stand Against Peepoo.
The Piss Us Off As The Poo On Our Hopes And Dreams. Be Gone Peepoo... Be Gone!

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Could you please elaborate on "using your craft to protect you". It sounds a bit mystical or magical to me to think that way.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: SevenThunders

We have ways of recognizing each other without announcing our membership to the whole world. In the past, one would simply remain silent about their membership and therefore had no adverse consequences or discrimination against them. The ways we recognize each other were designed so that we could keep our membership secret and not encounter any discrimination or hostility.

These days, it's the same guys who go about bragging about their membership that are crying that we are being discriminated against. I have nothing against making our membership known if one so desires, but then one should expect some people to hold it against them and live with it.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saurus
The ways we recognize each other were designed so that we could keep our membership secret and not encounter any discrimination or hostility.

In your opinion - why would people be hostile to Freemasons?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

I've asked my Masonic Grandfather that a dozen times.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

I've asked my Masonic Grandfather that a dozen times.

Did he ever give you any reasons?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   

No he just left me a letter to be opened in 2020.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

No he just left me a letter to be opened in 2020.

Are you going to wait another two years before opening it?
Open it now and read it and then write on here what it says!!
edit on 25-3-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

No he will be given a Mason Curse
much more dangerous than a gypsy curse.
It may make him walk funny and wear odd clothing.
edit on 25-3-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
That ceiling mural in London is a sight to behold for sure.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Fermy

Have you a link so I can see it?
Take a look at Denver International Airport.
www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

He taught me that patience was a virtue.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Why do you think that people would be hostile toward Freemasons?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join