It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSA: Possible Northern Lights in the lower 48

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Please close if duplicate, but the University of Alaska Aurora borealis forecast site is showingpossible northern lights visible below the 45th parallel.

The lowest green line shows southern-most range where they might be seen.

Haven't seen the green and red lights in years... Since 2001. Going out to check now!

Edit: definite northern lights, but no real color. Bright murkiness on northern horizon, much brighter than the light pollution to the south of me. Streaks of murkiness going up towards the zenith. Looks like the beginning of a sunrise, as the name implies.
edit on 020182018k23112America/Chicagotham by Look2theSacredHeart because: Update from 47° North

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I spent a year stationed in Iceland and experienced the northern lights there. I would truly enjoy seeing them again but it they ever make it here where I live now people had better grab their bug-out bags. I don't ever expect to see them in the southern states just above Lousiana.

And no, I didn't misspell Louisiana.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

And tonight gets cloudy here in Pittsburgh....
5 days of the clearest nights, and tonight...
Rick walks in...

Edit: it's cloudy😆
edit on 20-3-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

It says that some states will be able to see them on Tuesday. They are due to a G1 level solar storm.

The northern lights will continue appearing across parts of the contiguous U.S. this week, Accuweather reports, giving stargazers rare access to the most epic light show on Earth.

Viewers reported seeing the lights on Monday night and early Tuesday morning in Michigan and Iowa, thanks to a massive solar storm. The University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Aurora Forecast predicts it will continue Tuesday in parts of Vermont, Nebraska, Indiana, Maryland, Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming. ...

On the 18th, readings will likely just reach the threshold for a G1—a minor—geomagnetic storm. G1 storms happen frequently, about 2,000 times every 11 years, or once every two days.

According to the federal government’s Ready.gov website, one geomagnetic storm in 1859 shocked telegraph operators and set the paper they were working with on fire, while another in 1989 caused a nine-hour blackout in Canada. ...

Thanks!
blend

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I got to see it in iceland two years ago. On our second trip there. One of the greatest moments of my life. My friend time lapsed it with the go pro. It's on YouTube under : greatest aurora EVER. It's a 2 min vid. Love that country
edit on 20-3-2018 by Starhooker because: These damn sausage fingers

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I spent a year stationed in Iceland and experienced the northern lights there. I would truly enjoy seeing them again but it they ever make it here where I live now people had better grab their bug-out bags. I don't ever expect to see them in the southern states just above Lousiana.

Why bug out if they appeared? The Northern Lights have been visible in the far south many times over the years. I remember when I was about 8 years old going outside and seeing the aurora in the sky in the southeast corner of New Mexico. That would have been in the mid to late 70's and I know it wasn't me being mistaken as it hit the local news and papers the next day.

Happened again in 2011: Aurora Borealis Appears as Far South as New Mexico

2014: Northern Lights may be visible in Colorado tonight

Where I lived in NM is about the same latitude as the northern border of Lousiana or a bit lower.

We're in a period of high solar activity right now. Seeing the Lights farther south than normal is par for the course.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

originally posted by: CharlesT

Why bug out if they appeared? The Northern Lights have been visible in the far south many times over the years. I remember when I was about 8 years old going outside and seeing the aurora in the sky in the southeast corner of New Mexico. That would have been in the mid to late 70's and I know it wasn't me being mistaken as it hit the local news and papers the next day.

Happened again in 2011: Aurora Borealis Appears as Far South as New Mexico

2014: Northern Lights may be visible in Colorado tonight

Where I lived in NM is about the same latitude as the northern border of Lousiana or a bit lower.

We're in a period of high solar activity right now. Seeing the Lights farther south than normal is par for the course.

The may have been visible here in the past but I just missed them. It's a rare occasion to just see the Milky Way any more because of all of the light pollution. Hell, I even live in a rural area and still only see it on rare occasions. Lighting directed toward the heavens needs to be eliminated.

top topics

join