It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF Begins SHIELD Laser Testing This Summer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

all some one has to do to bypass this is add an ablative coating, 50kw is allot and well beyond my experience with lasers so maybe not.

maybe a IR reflective coating, i'd hate to be the person on the ground that got hit with that.

image sensors are easily damaged by high power lasers so a short burst might be all that is needed

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Get a next gen AESA type radar to guide it and shoot every seagull flying at >300mph and boom, stealth killer!!!

Frikkin Laser Beams.....what do they do in space? Anything different due to the Vacuum? I am wondering how fast you could charge a capacitor with a solar array and shoot multiple warheads and dummies? Star Wars may be back if this 'cold war' continues.

If you split a beam say in half, does it become 2 x 25kw lasers?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: Vector99

The Alcubierre drive requires negative matter: not antimatter, but negative matter. Negative matter and negative energy are theoretical at this point.

It requires compression of space in front of the craft and expansion of it in the back, nothing to do with negative matter or antimatter, rather a transfer of the matter from one place to another. Which is theoretically possible. The alcubierre drive is the only one that doesn't defy physics.

The expansion of space is what requires new physics. This is why it's typically said that the Alcubierre drive requires negative mass (or "exotic matter").

edit: compressing space is easy, we believe that literally all normal things with mass / energy do that. Doing it in reverse requires something exotic.
edit on 20-3-2018 by wirehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
funny boeing tweeted about a portable laser system for ground forces on their twitter page

picture in link

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Interesting how sensitive shield is to stability Vs conventional methods. I've read one or 2 articles about this subject. I will find them and post them tomorrow maybe. It's going to be amazing how they do it.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I wonder what kind of interesting things could be driven from the lift fan output shaft of an F-35B if the lift fan was removed?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

SAM LIVES!

Generator is the normal discussion. With enough space left over for a laser. That's some of the basis for the discussion of the strawman D model. You get the A model range back with the new advent engine.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   

www.defensenews.com...

And the USAF is officially stating they are looking at putting SHiELD on the KC-135s.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   

They already tested Guardian as a bolt on system, so why not?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
I wonder what kind of interesting things could be driven from the lift fan output shaft of an F-35B if the lift fan was removed?

I seem to remember that this was part of the F35 publicity and concepts when the aircraft beat the x32?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There's no reason not to, if the aircraft can supply the power.

I'm not sure people here realize the shift bolting self defense lasers on everything will do.

A pity the BUFFs don't have the power.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

all some one has to do to bypass this is add an ablative coating

Ablative coatings are doable, but its like armor. You can build an armed fighter, but the problem is you end up with very low payload and very short ranges. And it will cost a bunch more. Missiles are optimized for maximum payload and range. You start cutting into that and increasing their costs...

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

They will. The new engines will add a huge power boost.

I got a shot of a C-5M, AC-130W, and C-17 at Luke Days last weekend with LAIRCM installed.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
how'd the conversation go from defensive lasers and countermeasures to the alcubeirre drive. also alcubeirre drive is stupid end of story.

back to thread topic.
theoretically maybe they can make a metaterial skin that can absorb and convert most of the brunt of whatever energy in the wavelength of the offensive lasers into something less destructive or even useful. maybe use the BAE Kerr stuff to create a shield in the direction of a laser battery and reract the beam elsewhere or convert it into something else. then lock on the aggressor with a phase conjugate and return the favor in your own little creative way.

as for where to get the power. I'd go with something different than a f35s lifting fan.
edit on 24-3-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Metamaterials are not, at present, terribly stealth friendly. They also are not so great with high energy sources as yet. It is promising for the future, but not yet.

Once free electronic lasers are small enough, there is no material that will be able to defend. They will frequency hop until they find one that penetrates.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

*eyes glaze over*

All that internal volume on a BUFF...

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I don't recall the exact number, but my brain is stuck on 425-450Mw with the new engines.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

why not good for stealth.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

FEL's are quite big. i dont know how you could shrink the oscillators to a super small package.

but if you could then your right it would be formidable

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Currently big. There's something in the works.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join