It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Penalty for Drug Dealers is Dumb

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

No , it's Not Dumb , it Efficiently Eliminates Problems that Cost Tax Payers Money . The More Eliminated , the BETTER Society is in Numerous Ways.....Think About it in a Broader Light Man........

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
After reading and hearing the Presidents speech on such I was thinking on this and it weighs heavy.

The question that should be asked and considered is this: What crimes should have the death penalty? It is a valid question, as mostly from any sort of look, it comes down to very few crimes that would warrant the death penalty.

What good would come from the death of the person? Does it balance the scales of justice as it were? Does it send a message? Will it deter anyone else from committing the exact same thing?

In the past the problem is that when the US or other drug enforcement from other countries took out a supplier or even a trafficker, the end result was a slight slow in the flow as it were, and others took said persons place. And to make matters worse, is that there were government agencies that were also supplying said narcotics to the USA as well. And there is an epidemic of a new drug problem made by legitimate companies and this is the best that the President can come up with.

He looks to President Duarte, president of the Philippines, as an example, however, the problem there it has become a modern day witch hunt with the same reasons coming to light. The original idea was to get the drug problem under control, however now it is where people are turning on their neighbors for no better reason than they want what their neighbor has. With no trial, no evidence, all based on the say of a person.

Does this punishment fit this kind of crime? No.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

We don’t need to do it to them either.. 2 wrongs do not make a right..

Drugs Never should have been totally illegal and the police force never gets militarized to deal with it..

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Only true monsters that we KNOW 100% did it should be executed.

ANY doubt should negate it.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

This may not be that bad of an idea. Let me explain;

Thing 1, A real threat of getting a death penalty could help stem the influx of kids from getting in to drug dealing.

Thing 2, If a drug dealer is pushing out fentanyl laced drugs, and it kills a bunch of people, then a death sentence should be a real possibility.

Thing 3, In areas where a drug dealer is operating, other crimes (like Thrift, home break ins, home invasions, robberies, murders) increase in frequency. A death penalty could be a good deterrent from having drug dealers operate in areas where people keep an eye out for crime (many people think that a good neighborhood watch lowers crime, but if you have a freely operating drug dealer in the area, the system just turns into a cop-watch for the dealers)

So yes, I do understand what you're saying, and I also figure that even if this goes full legal, I really doubt many judges will assign it to dealers. Shoot, I bet that if it did pass as law, many states would just sue to prevent it from being enforced anyways.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
At first I was thinking big pharma is actually doing something to curb the problem but maybe they have made it harder to get opiates so addicts are forced to buy from the black market.

Get people hooked then cut off the supply so they are basically forced to buy heroin.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

No , it's Not Dumb , it Efficiently Eliminates Problems that Cost Tax Payers Money . The More Eliminated , the BETTER Society is in Numerous Ways.....Think About it in a Broader Light Man........

You might wanna listen to some interviews from people of the Philippines.

"Oh, we made a mistake? This guys innocent?" - - - too bad - - collateral damage.

Might as well just put the mafia in charge.

link   
DP
edit on 19-3-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

link   
TP
edit on 19-3-2018 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I agree. It is dumb. It's like a case of treating the symptom and not the cause of the sickness.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The death part of death Penalty is said to be more expensive than just keeping the person/s in prison for life or longer. What is going to bring in the revenue for it? A stronger Industrial Prison Complex?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The real bottom line here is I don't trust any cop enough to put that kind of power in their hands. I've seen enough videos of police planting evidence that it wouldn't take long for the whole situation to get out of hand.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
After reading and hearing the Presidents speech on such I was thinking on this and it weighs heavy.

The question that should be asked and considered is this: What crimes should have the death penalty? It is a valid question, as mostly from any sort of look, it comes down to very few crimes that would warrant the death penalty.

What good would come from the death of the person? Does it balance the scales of justice as it were? Does it send a message? Will it deter anyone else from committing the exact same thing?

In the past the problem is that when the US or other drug enforcement from other countries took out a supplier or even a trafficker, the end result was a slight slow in the flow as it were, and others took said persons place. And to make matters worse, is that there were government agencies that were also supplying said narcotics to the USA as well. And there is an epidemic of a new drug problem made by legitimate companies and this is the best that the President can come up with.

He looks to President Duarte, president of the Philippines, as an example, however, the problem there it has become a modern day witch hunt with the same reasons coming to light. The original idea was to get the drug problem under control, however now it is where people are turning on their neighbors for no better reason than they want what their neighbor has. With no trial, no evidence, all based on the say of a person.

Does this punishment fit this kind of crime? No.

Far Eastern countries like Singapore and Malaysia have the death penalty for anyone caught smuggling drugs into the country. So what do the dealers do - they get dumb Westerners to work as mules to get the drugs into the country. "Oh, my mamma, she needs her medicine, we can't afford it in our country. We buy it in Canada and ship it back to her at home. Would you take this suitcase for us? Papa will meet you at the airport." or "Would you take this box and put in in your handbag?"

Then in that country with the death purge for dealers, residents were using this to settle old scores and get rivals killed off.

What else can go wrong? Someone sells or gives away old medications that they don't need, but don't have an official pharma license? Drug dealer. Or undercover cops plant dope on someone and then trick that person into offering it for sale to another undercover cop? Drug dealer.

abc13.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
On the topic of this scaring people: The Death Penalty doesn't stop murderers, why would it stop drug dealers?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I saw someone suggest earlier today that this was some 4D chess move by Trump to get the Democrats all over TV opposing this and coming off sounding like they're defending drug dealers ahead of the midterms.

I don't think Trump thinks that far ahead but it could be an unintended side effect.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
On the topic of this scaring people: The Death Penalty doesn't stop murderers, why would it stop drug dealers?

True, but it does limit the number of murders. No law will stop all crime, but laws can and do reduce the numbers of said crimes. That's the value of having laws, it allows people to have freedoms as long as it doesn't cause harm to others, by giving people affected by unlawful behaviors a legal recourse for their protection.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

It could be, it's all a circus anyway. Keep everyone divided.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed. This is another one of his stupid ideas.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

What trash..

About 75%+ of the problem is a product of it being illegal..not a problem with what people do while high.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

When the death Penalty is used to remove a cancer fro society . I agree with you.

Every true monster that you KNOW did it. Execute..

However, i think the death penalty does NOTHING to deter people..

No one is willing to do a crime that carries a life sentence, but isn’t if it carries death..

Murders are impulsive usually.. meaning they are not doing the math in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join