It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Penalty for Drug Dealers is Dumb

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm truly heartened that the majority of folks here realize the abject idiocy and perilous nature of Trump's idea. Its helpful to be reminded that although we all may not agree on a variety of tertiary political/economic elements, the vast majority of us are aligned in the most basic moral sense.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So if personal responsibility is the wrong answer, then I guess trusting the government to take care of you is the correct answer? That we should allow for the federal government or some other governmental agency to make that determination for us, leaving us with no say in our lives?

If a person, for non medical reasons, takes narcotics, who is at fault, the person who sold it to them, or say the person who took such? While both are in the wrong, yet at the same time, there has to be some accounting of personal responsibility for their actions. If there is no accountability, then I guess you would accept the affluenza defense.

Nor does this law address the very people who started the opioid epidemic that is plaguing the country now, that is fueling the drive for people to acquire illegal narcotics, and that is the doctors, pharmacists and the drug manufactures. The drug manufactures went to doctors with new pain killers, and paid them to prescribe them, then the doctors prescribed them and renewed such, and the pharmacies gave them out. And none of them seem concerned about the sheer volumes that were going out, well not at that time frame, and the signs were there. Don't you think that if a town of 3000, consuming 25000 pain killer pills in a year, would be a valid red flag?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
as much as i dislike trump i have to be honest when i like his policies, i just don't like the way he sells them. i think trump may be on to something here, long prison sentences do nothing but cost more tax payer money. death penalty for high level dealers and smugglers might make people think twice before taking that path in life.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: DeIirium

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I think that drugs are the personal choice of the user , its our own freedom to express ourselves and to alter our own consciousness. In the US if you are free to express yourself , then you should also be free to use whatever you like in your own body!

Yes, like when you are driving a car and a person that's free by choice on drugs accidentally cremes into your car, or robs your house violently! You can argue it was his personal choice and no ill will!

This is known as "conflation". You are taking one thing, and conflating it with another.

Driving under the influence is, and likely will remain, illegal.

That isn't what is being discussed here. You are conflating the 2 and trying to present them as a singular issue. Youa re incorrect.

I can well understand your fervor to
decouple the unmistakable parallel
I cited. Your reach for conflation
fails as you hope that you can inflate
the discussion to delimit items of
personal choice which are variably
legal or illegal depending on local
ordinance. Bad choices produce bad
consequences. The lifestyle of the
chaotic liberal.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
as much as i dislike trump i have to be honest when i like his policies, i just don't like the way he sells them. i think trump may be on to something here, long prison sentences do nothing but cost more tax payer money. death penalty for high level dealers and smugglers might make people think twice before taking that path in life.

If I may present an example of how something like this can easily be abused to the detriment of humanity:

Law passes, codified as anyone pushing (which includes not just the act of selling, but being in possession of a large enough amount as to be construed as 'intent to sell') a set amount (lets say 10lbs or more of illegal drugs) is applicable for the death penalty.

Cops raid Joe Schmo's house, find a few pot plants Joe Schmo has been growing for himself, tally the weight (which of course includes not only the plant itself but the dirt, the pot, and all the associated growing equipment), and now Joe Schmo has a felony arrest for possession of 35 lbs of illegal 'narcotics' and is now fighting for his life in court as the prosecutor (at the behest of Trump and by proxy Sessions) pushes for the death penalty.

Does that sound like a good thing to you?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox
The origin of the Drug war goes way back further than Nixon, he just brought it to the forefront. It goes back to just at the end of the civil war, and the influx of immigrants into the young country and was used as a means to justify some racist and anti immigrant policies.

There are several problems here that are never discussed or looked at. The first is the pattern and dance that is done.

The dance is between the US government and those who traffic such. The CIA has been suspected if not implicated time and time again running illegal narcotics and selling such in the USA, even setting up a few traffickers with their own set up and routes. Then it becomes a problem and it falls in on itself, and the original persons who are charged, never face such.

The other little dance is the purity dance. And that is what has happened with the drug companies and the traffickers who are bringing this to the people. Some of the pain killers are often far purer than what many of the traffickers are providing on the street. Same substance, different name. Or it is altered to be something else, and by the time someone figures out that it will cause problems, the problems are present and far worse than the original stuff. That can be seen with many drugs, where it had one use, only for it to slowly get more potent and soon was being abused and after it has been out for a long while, the government cracks down on it. Or it was perverted far beyond what the original intention or use was.

But beyond that I am stating that the punishment is not the answer, it never is. All that is going to happen is that either someone is going to pick up where the other guy left off, or they are going to take something and change it, where it increases the problem and then the country is back to this point now.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
They should all be lined up and executed, you can sell anything legaly and make as much money, life of crime is not all its cracked up to be.

link   
They should all be lined up and executed, you can sell anything legaly and make as much money, life of crime is not all its cracked up to be.

link   

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It is pretty crazy that while marijuana is becoming legal in some states, People like Trump are pushing for the death penalty for drug dealers.

I agree with the O.P. that the death penalty is too harsh. In fact, when it comes to weed, I support a system like that in Washington State where there are legal and registered companies that package and distribute their products to cannabis stores.

This system keeps drugs from funding criminal organizations and even comes with perks like better technology (like weed vape pens), more options (the weed store here has racks and racks of different strains), quality control, and more.

Plus, they ID everyone twice and keep our people under 21.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: davethebear
So where are all these dealers going to be locked up?..................there's gonna be a massive queue to get a cell, unless Trump is gonna build a new range of hotels called Prisonlodge.....

Build it into the "wall"

Kill two birds with one stone lol.

On the OP though, yep, not a fan of death penalties for drug dealers. It is indeed a slippery slope.
Big Pharma and legal drugs being Americas biggest problems aside, it seems a #ty thing to do regarding a crime that largely involves consenting adults.
(And yes I draw the line when it comes to drug users habits or dealers practices impacting others.)

But I honestly think having lenient sentences for child rapists and other such sexual predators so much many are allowed to 'repeat offend' numerous times should be more of a priority to address.

Better solution I think is legalize and regulate some recreational drugs, and look at preventing people getting on them to begin with.
When you completely ban and make something illegal a black market will always be the result. And it will always be profitable for those running the business.

I dunno. Gotta be a better solution to the problem, and killing people aint it.

But yeah, many Americans I know and am friends with all seem to be on something. And the vast majority of the time it is completely legal stuff, either by prescription or over the counter.
If I had a dollar for every person I know who is on Xanax, or takes cold and flu medication nightly to sleep.....

Americas biggest gateway drug aint cannabis, it's over prescribed legal drugs.
Got a pill for every problem.

Kind of funny though that so many against recreational drugs will happily guzzle a 6 pack of beer every night or knock back a few wines or whiskeys.
But they can rationalize that it's okay and abuse of it is more widely accepted because booze is legal.
Yet here at least, I see in the news and general media that alcohol seems to cause more damage to our society than Cannabis does.

Visit the local police station on the weekend and it is full of violent drunks, not stoners.

But yeah going off the point now.

Long story short death penalty is stupid. Governments and their agencies have empowered the big drug cartels if anything. *cough* CIA *cough* Big Pharma is possibly the worst drug dealers, and we shouldn't be executing peeps when pedophiles and such get it so lightly.
But yeah, once you start executing drug dealers, who and what is next? Get your hands cut off for smoking a joint?
Be sent to a gulag for traffic violations?

Honestly sounds like something a certain 1930's-40's German political party or a modern 3rd world countries political party or religious group would come up with.
Not a modern western civilization.....

Slippery slope indeed.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AtomicKangaroo

originally posted by: davethebear
So where are all these dealers going to be locked up?..................there's gonna be a massive queue to get a cell, unless Trump is gonna build a new range of hotels called Prisonlodge.....

Build it into the "wall"

Kill two birds with one stone lol.

Make them all work forced labor to build the wall until they drop dead. It's much better then the other for profit prisons where prisoners get to live and have a chance of getting out after serving the time of their incarceration.

Caught selling pot ...........off to the wall to do back braking labor until you die. Selling dope to cover your addiction to painkillers that your drug dealing doctor got you hooked on then its off the wall to feel the pain of breaking rocks all day until you drop dead.

Hey they could use all those FEMA camps that never got used to house everyone.....killing multiple birds with one stone indeed.

.........(Note the above is satire and does not represent the true feeling of the author nor should it be taken as an actual valid suggestion as to the authors real feelings.)

edit on 24-3-2018 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join