It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking's Final Paper On How To Find Parallel Universes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking submitted his final paper just two weeks before his death , his final paper is Here for anyone interested to take a look at.

The usual theory of inflation breaks down in eternal inflation. We derive a dual description of eternal inflation in terms of a deformed CFT located at the threshold of eternal inflation. The partition function gives the amplitude of different geometries of the threshold surface in the no-boundary state. Its local and global behavior in dual toy models shows that the amplitude is low for surfaces which are not nearly conformal to the round three-sphere and essentially zero for surfaces with negative curvature. Based on this we conjecture that the exit from eternal inflation does not produce an infinite fractal-like multiverse, but is finite and reasonably smooth.

The paper is called "A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation?" and looks at the multiverse and ways we could use to find evidence of it , possibly by discovering evidence of other Big Bangs.

Thomas Hertog, who co-authored the paper, told Euronews that "A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation" sets out a mathematical formula to build a probe that could find evidence for the existence of "multiverses".

For many years it had remained unclear what kind of universe came out of the Big Bang but physicists gradually realised that the model described not one but infinitely many universes.
Hawking was not satisfied with this unresolved conundrum: "Let’s try to tame the multiverse," he told Hertog a year ago.

So the pair set out to develop a method to transform the idea of a multiverse into a coherent, testable scientific framework.
"In this paper, we put Stephen's original no-boundary model on a more solid mathematical footing. We find this appears to restrict the multiverse down to a manageable finite set (of universes), thereby enabling the model to be tested."
www.euronews.com...

edit on 19-3-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Here's something to add to the thread...

Do we live in a multiverse? Stephen Hawking submitted a final paper days before his death

Stephen Hawking submitted a final paper days before his death that could lead to the discovery of parallel universes.

Hawking, who died last week at 76, was listed as a co-author on the paper, which lays the framework for how researchers could someday test the "multiverse" theory, or the existence of an infinite number of universes in addition to our own, The Sunday Times reported.

edit on 19-3-2018 by BomSquad because: add an article relevant to the OP title

edit on 19-3-2018 by BomSquad because: OP amended post to include more information

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

"A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation?"

So he died to prove his paper right?

(/sarcasm)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Some are gonna hate me for saying this but I have always been suspicious of the Stephen Hawking narrative. It just seems ever so slightly......doctored.

No offense to anyone but that's my feeling on it.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Its a good thing your feelings don't matter.

Hawking was a brilliant man whose whole life was devoted to understanding the most extreme phenomena in the universe.

I, for one, will be happy to peruse his latest and last paper.
edit on 19 3 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The man has written some truly brilliant papers in his time, but I hear what you're saying. Sometimes someone becomes SO huge in their field that no matter what they write it will be given credence. You don't question Tiny-E.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

"possibly by discovering evidence of other Big Bangs."

Some Galaxies are so far away their light won't likely even arrive here. That in itself throws a monkey wrench in it all.

This alternate universe theory..... it's interesting, but I personally don't subscribe. But proof one way or the other would not be unwelcome.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

This alternate universe theory..... it's interesting, but I personally don't subscribe.

People used to say the same about the chance of finding planets orbiting other stars.
I think it makes sense for there to be other Universes in the void just as there are other planets in our Universe.
edit on 19-3-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Its a good thing your feelings don't matter.

Hawking was a brilliant man whose whole life was devoted to understanding the most extreme phenomena in the universe.

I, for one, will be happy to peruse his latest and last paper.

I have no problem with that. It's just that my "nose" works and when I smell something off I'm just going to say so. That's what this forum is for. I love the warm fuzzy story. If I could believe it.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I think it makes sense for there to be other Universes in the void just as there are other planets in our Universe.

Guys like Krauss entertain the same idea. He's spoken about the Laws of Physics in our universe possibly being different to neighbouring ones. It was interesting because he wasn't going for the 'dimensional' or the 'multiverse' concepts.

It's hard to imagine. He speculated that these universes exist in the same vastness rather than separated by branes etc. Our minds can almost conceive of the concept...at least visually (mind's eye). The trickiness was that because our laws of physics could be different we'll never be able to visit - we can't exist in them.

He also reiterated the expansion of space so that the speculative universes will also be travelling apart from each other at speeds we'll never be able to overtake.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Based on this we conjecture that the exit from eternal inflation does not produce an infinite fractal-like multiverse, but is finite and reasonably smooth
The paper is called "A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation?" and looks at the multiverse and ways we could use to find evidence of it , possibly by discovering evidence of other Big Bangs.

Gorty,
That's BREXIT he's talking about....no wonder the politicians haven't a clue!

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
This alternate universe theory..... it's interesting, but I personally don't subscribe. But proof one way or the other would not be unwelcome.

I tend to discount the "multiple" universe theories in favor of putting more dimensions into the one we already have.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Guys like Krauss entertain the same idea. He's spoken about the Laws of Physics in our universe possibly being different to neighbouring ones.

I think that would make sense of how all of the variables are aligned to allow the formation of Galaxies , Stars and Planets in this Universe , I guess a Multiverse would make our Universe a statistical probability rather than the singular marvel it is at the moment.
There must be some very odd Universes out there in the Void.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

For many years it had remained unclear what kind of universe came out of the Big Bang but physicists gradually realised that the model described not one but infinitely many universes.

So , did one singularity spawn an infinite number of universes in the multiverse ? Or were there an infinite number of parallel singularities that spawned an infinite number of parallel universes ?

Reading now
Thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

There must be some very odd Universes out there in the Void.

Well, because the mathematics used already has some inherent flaws in it regarding points of view, seems like you're only going to detect these other universes if you actually go into them, which is of course impossible. And even if you could, then I suspect that you would perceive the laws of that other universe as "normal," so there would be nothing to compare it to.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

"possibly by discovering evidence of other Big Bangs."

Some Galaxies are so far away their light won't likely even arrive here. That in itself throws a monkey wrench in it all.

It doesnt work that way. Galaxies are individual clusters of stars in this universe. The galaxies in this universe moving away on a red shift lends credence to this universe's Great Expansion (Big Bang) .
The thought is an infinite number of universes in the multiverse started in a similar fashion

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Personally I'd go for multiple singularities or seeds within the Void , not necessarily all germinating at the same time.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Some are gonna hate me for saying this but I have always been suspicious of the Stephen Hawking narrative. It just seems ever so slightly......doctored.

No offense to anyone but that's my feeling on it.

That would be a valid post if it was only Stephen Hawking. Unfortunately for that post , there are many physicists that support the same or similar theories. In fact , I hazard to say , most do.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Personally I'd go for multiple singularities or seeds within the Void , not necessarily all germinating at the same time.

I could see that, but... what is "time," after all?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

It's bad enough when I contemplate the possibility we're all there is in this universe without thinking it could be same in all of them. Yes indeed, a 'singular marvel.'

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join