It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems attacks on social media wrong doings will back fire

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+71 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Its been a while since I have been on here, buts its good to be back.

The story over the weekend about Cambridge Analytica helping the trump campaign was very interesting to me, but not for the reasons it was to many.

Here is the link to the story.

www.nytimes.com...

I ultimately think that this story, along with the constant drum beat of "Russian bots" and how russia used a few twitter bots to still the election will end up backfiring on the dems that are pushing it.

What both of these stories actually are is an admission by the left of the power of social media and how can influence elections and policy.

Lets take the russian bot example. So we are to believe that a few people making bots that are pushing a pro russian narrative on Facebook and twitter has the ability to steal an election, but these platforms being ran by democrat or left wing supporters that routinely censor right wing and constantly push pro democrat messages is of no consequence?

It boggles the mind.

The same is true of the Cambridge analytica story. The dems are appalled that a right wing group could get access (legally of course) to facebook users info and then use that to help with elections, but the fact that the platforms themselves are ran by left leaning people that do this all of the time is totally innocent and fine.

Or take Russian Times. They are evil and spread stories to hurt the dems and must register as foreign news etc., but the BBC or any other number of foreign press that were overwhelmingly pro hillary in their coverage (not to mention the US media which is overwhelmingly anti trump) is perfectly fine.

All of these outrages by the dems prove what right wing people have been saying for years and was laughed off by the dems; having media controlled by one political affiliation can have a significant impact on elections and policy.

Whats really going on is the democrats are upset that anyone not on their side would have the gall to use the very tools and strategies that they have a near monopoly on. They arent satisfied with social media being ran by democrat supporters, they need all other viewpoints removed and investigated. They arent happy with the press having 91% negative trump coverage, they need 100% negative coverage.

And I know that many left leaning people hate trump so bad that they are fine with this. Well just know that if you ever want a real left wing candidate, this same process is already being used against them. Like how Bernie and Jill stein are being smeared as being pushed by russians, and how everything from the dakota pipeline protests to BLM is being accused as being pushed by russian bots.

I think the more that the establishment dems push these arguments while at the same time pushing for more censoring of other viewpoints, the more people are going to realize that the real weoponization for media and social media is actually coming from the democrats.
edit on 19-3-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You literally covered everything that I had in mind regarding the topic. All I have left to offer is a S + F

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Ummm...whew...I thought you kicked the bucket...glad to see you kicked it down the road instead...

I totally concur with your thoughts on this...

The left have left the building...

YouSir

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...whew...I thought you kicked the bucket...glad to see you kicked it down the road instead...

I totally concur with your thoughts on this...

The left have left the building...

YouSir

I assure people when I die I will make my wife or someone else come on here and spread the news.

On the downside fort you all, you will no longer be privy to my sparkling wit and intellect. On the upside there will be one less political hack posting.

No I just was getting computer repairs.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think my concern is more about the "post truth world" where both sides get inundated with stories designed to rile us up and divide us even more than we are, which I believe is already happening. They want us angry or afraid of each other as opposed to "them".

My honest belief is that the so called "deep state" doesn't really care that much about dems vs cons as much as they care about the money flowing their way, which the perpetual war machine accomplishes. But to have perpetual war, you need people to take sides and get pissed or scared.

We are caught in the middle of a battle over our minds.

Which is creepy

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Oh look, right on cue.

Remember, the left was so appalled by a group paid for by trump using facebook data.

Well it turns out, an Obama campaign manager admits that Facebook was in the tank for them, and allowed them to use this data themselves.

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidson, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists.

ijr.com...

But never mind that Facebook is ran by dmeocrat supporters and is helping them mine info on voters, thats no big deal. Now a different company trying to use a small portion of the info that Facebook has access to to help republicans, that is a HUGE DEAL!!!

The hypocrisy is astounding.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
But but what about all those AM station talk shows? Those radio stations reach far more people that Twitter, Facebook, PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS, nearly every trade magazine and publication, and just about every single major newspaper outlet.

I think it's so unfair that right wing talk shows have such an advantage. And don't even get me started on GAB or T_D reddit.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Can you see past the left right divide or are you going to just blame everyone else for your problems?

This type of data harvesting is a big brother nightmare for everyone.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Lets take the russian bot example. So we are to believe that a few people making bots that are pushing a pro russian narrative on Facebook and twitter has the ability to steal an election, but these platforms being ran by democrat or left wing supporters that routinely censor right wing and constantly push pro democrat messages is of no consequence?

The algebraic expression:

("millions" of users data mined from above as fast as their servers wont notice and block them)
VS.
(complete access to all of the data and infos cataloged and compiled for every user ever since day 1 of Facebook et al)
=
(it's a something burger, but not even a complete White Castle burger with a squirt of mustard)
VS.
(four triple patty Whoppers with cheese combo meals with large drinks + fries extra salt plus a handful of ketchup, mayo and Tangy sauce packs each)

*feel free to make such a meme image anyone

edit on 19-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
People need to take a close look at the FB T&C's

Then think about how a "strategy" could have outed FB at a later time 😎

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Not to be argumentative, its really not my style, I'd like to think you're correct, but I strongly suspect you may have missed the bigger trend here. I caught on to it only about a month ago, but the genuine fact is that with Democrat near control of all the MSM news and opinion outlets, they genuinely have the power to take down entire companies that come under their negative scrutiny.

As a result of realizing that and with the incessant drumbeat of charges about Russian interference in the election, I sold my Facebook stock at about $180.00 a share. It of course went up from there to about $187.00 and today its at $173.00, down $12.00 a share. Market players, (I'm an investor), will tell you to pick an entry point after this and buy back in. I withhold judgement on that call. The reason cited for the plunge in share price is:
www.barchart.com...

That is, the reason is the Cambridge Analytics story.

I shudder to think this, but the major trend I've identified, (or think I have) is that via the Russia Election hack/fake news vis-a-vis social media, I have near concluded that the Dems will stop at absolutely nothing to maintain their iron grip on all things media, including infringing on the 1st Amendment. Unapproved speech is hate speech and any news contrary to the Democrat narrative is near unto treasonous and to be taken down.

One other thing to remember! The "Trial Lawyers Association of America" is one of the biggest contributors to the Democrat party, has been for decades, ne generations and they smell chum in the water!

www.barchart.com...

Scott+Scott Attorneys at Law LLP ("Scott+Scott"), a national shareholder and consumer rights litigation firm, is investigating whether Facebook, Inc. ("Facebook" or the "Company") (NASDAQ:FB) or certain of its officers and directors violated federal securities or other laws. If you are a Facebook stockholder, you are encouraged to contact a Scott+Scott attorney at (844) 818-6982 for more information. The investigation centers around Facebook's management of user data. On March 17, 2018, The New York Times reported that voter-profiling company Cambridge Analytica ("Cambridge") "harvested private information from the Facebook profiles of more than 50 million users without their permission, according to former Cambridge employees, associates and documents, making it one of the largest data leaks in the social network's history." The next day, March 18, 2018, the Massachusetts Attorney General said her office was launching an investigation into Facebook. On March 19, 2018, European Union officials also said they would investigate.

Law firms piling on lawsuits (big bucks).

But then note..........the Massachusetts Attorney General, (Massachusetts, i.e. Leftist Democrat strong hold)? I suspect the California Attorney General will be joining in as well.

Facebook may well be toast!. But worse, we may well be seeing the beginning of the end of free speech on the Internet altogether.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua
I think my concern is more about the "post truth world" where both sides get inundated with stories designed to rile us up and divide us even more than we are, which I believe is already happening. They want us angry or afraid of each other as opposed to "them".

My honest belief is that the so called "deep state" doesn't really care that much about dems vs cons as much as they care about the money flowing their way, which the perpetual war machine accomplishes. But to have perpetual war, you need people to take sides and get pissed or scared.

We are caught in the middle of a battle over our minds.

Which is creepy

Ummm...I think we're already in the..."post truth world"...it's all good though...

If they're trying to make us angry at or afraid of each other...then I think they're failing marvelously...
I'm not afraid of the future...or this brave new world...neither am I afraid of political persuasion...Although I do get a tad miffed sometimes...it's not a real deep seated anger...mostly it just brings out the laughter...

Perhaps that's the intended purpose...a scam so rooted in extremes...it's real design is to have one question the extreme...and move to a more centric and less hyperbolic...more humorous exchange...

If that's the case...I think it's working wonders on me...cause this past election cycle up to the present...has kept my funny bone well exercised...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The same is true of the Cambridge analytica story. The dems are appalled that a right wing group could get access (legally of course) to facebook users info and then use that to help with elections, but the fact that the platforms themselves are ran by left leaning people that do this all of the time is totally innocent and fine.

The Technological genie is out of the bottle and can't be stopped. Your data that is continually mined by everyone is out there if you use the internet.

Dems didn't seem to have a problem with the Obama Machine doing similar analytics and programs. Hell wasn't some higher ups at FB or Google part of the Obama Data sifting machine?

It's how modern vote gathering is done. Like it or not. It's not like either Party is going to stop doing it.

edit on 19-3-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua
Can you see past the left right divide or are you going to just blame everyone else for your problems?

This type of data harvesting is a big brother nightmare for everyone.

Who am I blaming for my problems?

What personal problems have I even outlined?

As far as all sides doing this, I agree.

Yet where are the biggest complaints about this coming from; the democrats that are demanding investigation, censorship, and possible escalating tensions with nuclear power russia.

And at the same time, which side is abusing social media mining more; well the actual comapnies themselves, who all happen to be ran by democrat supporters.

I have been consistent on this situation ever since the screams of russian bots have began; I dont think it is a big deal at all, no matter what side they are pushing.

I feel the same way about data mining; while it is troubling, what can you do if people willingly give out their info?

The real problem is not that this is being done, but that its being made such a big deal for political reasons, and possibly leading us to conflict with russia.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I agree that the democratic party is seeking a total monopoly on all media.

The same can be said of academia. Although university administrators and educators are overwhelmingly democrats or left wing, the still refuse to allow even the few conservative voices that enter the world of academia, even going so far as to make excuses for violence and intimidation to censor this.

That behavior is now being modeled with media and social media, we arent seeing violence yet, but the cries for censorship and actual censoring of conservatives and even left wing non establishment views is increasing every day.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Good to see you back on hear Grambler, you have good postings. Welcome back.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

That behavior is now being modeled with media and social media, we arent seeing violence yet, but the cries for censorship and actual censoring of conservatives and even left wing non establishment views is increasing every day.

They got you speaking binary partisan.

A more complete and more damning way to put it is, they're censoring any and all non-progressive viewpoints (especially those critical of progressive viewpoints / actions / policies & Democrat politicians).
edit on 19-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

They got you speaking binary partisan.

A more complete and more damning way to put it is, they're censoring any and all non-progressive viewpoints (especially those critical of progressive viewpoints / actions / Democrat politicians).

Well that technically is not correct.

They are censoring many progressive viewpoints as well, such as jill stein supporters, people like Jimmy Dore that are progressives that hat the democratic party, etc.

However, it has been conservatives that have been most targeted, and done so in the most voal way.

The real binary position is the establishment vs anyone who criticizes it. Those that have questions about the russian narrative, rather they be conservative like me, or progressive like Jimmy dore, are subject to having our voices silenced.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

No I just was getting computer repairs.

Have your IT guy check it out again. It still tends to whine.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Well, it sounds like your blaming the dems when in fact its the uber wealthy that make up the deep state who profits off of wars and a divided and struggling populace. The uber wealthy happen to fall on both sides of the political spectrum, Robert Mercer, Koch brothers, Shelden Adelson, Rupert Murdoch... none of which likely complained when we went to war with Iraq and Afghanistan under a republican president.

The EXACT same can be said for democrats and their wealthy elite.

The point is that we are getting manipulated by both sides, but if you can't see how FOX news plays in to your fears just as much as MSNBC plays in the liberal fears... then I don't know what to tell you.

The deep state only cares about profits and empires, they don't care about the false dichotomy of liberals vs democrats. They use wedge issues to control us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join