It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘I made Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool’: meet the data war whistleblower

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Wow, everyone should read and digest this article. This reminds me of next level MKUltra type of manipulation. I believe we need a legal code of ethics for data harvesting. What say you, ATS?

"The research was original, groundbreaking and had obvious possibilities. “They had a lot of approaches from the security services,” a member of the centre told me. “There was one called You Are What You Like and it was demonstrated to the intelligence services. And it showed these odd patterns; that, for example, people who liked ‘I hate Israel’ on Facebook also tended to like Nike shoes and KitKats.

“There are agencies that fund research on behalf of the intelligence services. And they were all over this research. That one was nicknamed Operation KitKat.”

The defence and military establishment were the first to see the potential of the research. Boeing, a major US defence contractor, funded Kosinski’s PhD and Darpa, the US government’s secretive Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, is cited in at least two academic papers supporting Kosinski’s work."

www.theguardian.com...
edit on 19-3-2018 by Harpua because: whoops

edit on Mon Mar 19 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: tags added IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harpua
Wow, everyone should read and digest this article. This reminds me of next level MKUltra type of manipulation. I believe we need a legal code of ethics for data harvesting. What say you, ATS?

ATS say, no linky......

Swamp Gas.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Harpua

I would really love to read that...

link   
I need source

*fidgets no spinner*

link   
They are a mite late with this approach. This form of psychology has been going on for decades. A first line example (which sounds silly, but is not) in the late 1960s supermarket people employed psychologists to set out their store formats to make people buy something they didn't want. Very successful.
Now this idea has just been upgraded to cover the web, that's all. It's nothing new.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
just refreshing the page over and over at this point.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Sorry!

link added

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
They are a mite late with this approach. This form of psychology has been going on for decades. A first line example (which sounds silly, but is not) in the late 1960s supermarket people employed psychologists to set out their store formats to make people buy something they didn't want. Very successful.
Now this idea has just been upgraded to cover the web, that's all. It's nothing new.

Except for stealing data and facebook covering it up

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
In 2007 I had a couple programmers working with me. We were automating some of our call center business processes to make things work more efficiently. It worked...i condensed a department of 10 folks down to just me (not that i wanted to...but i digress).

One of the projects we were working on, and never got to finish, was a forecasting tool to forecast absenteeism. You feed it data, and the tool looked for relationships via some novel (and well known) algorithms. The more data you feed it, the more accurate it could theoretically be.

We wanted to get an idea of how many folks would be late/absent/early quit by 15 minute segment of the day. We fed it 2 years of data on any employees that had been there that long. Anyone not there 2 years we fed the prior 90 days of data. The modeling was crap at first, but after about 4 months of feeding it more and more data, we were able to forecast absenteeism by 15 minute segment to a 95% accuracy.

Behavioral modeling isn't new. But computing has finally started to catch up to the data sets (it took 10 minutes for my database to provide insight for the upcoming hour), and algorithms are finding suitable playgounds in modern processors.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

That doesn't sound all that bad...but I believe we are at the point now where we can be manipulated like Pavlov's dogs on an individual basis without even needing to be in the same room as Pavlov.

Like the deep state needs more help pulling the strings.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

What data was stolen?

How do you steal something that's being given away freely?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

"The research was original, groundbreaking and had obvious possibilities. “They had a lot of approaches from the security services,” a member of the centre told me. “There was one called You Are What You Like and it was demonstrated to the intelligence services. And it showed these odd patterns; that, for example, people who liked ‘I hate Israel’ on Facebook also tended to like Nike shoes and KitKats.

“There are agencies that fund research on behalf of the intelligence services. And they were all over this research. That one was nicknamed Operation KitKat.”

The defence and military establishment were the first to see the potential of the research. Boeing, a major US defence contractor, funded Kosinski’s PhD and Darpa, the US government’s secretive Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, is cited in at least two academic papers supporting Kosinski’s work."

www.theguardian.com...

This kind of research and data use is nothing new. Been around a long time. That's how advertisers have done it forever. Also how many of the wall street giants make their money. It's a form of trends.

Nonetheless....very cool application of the practice. Thanks OP!

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

That doesn't sound all that bad...but I believe we are at the point now where we can be manipulated like Pavlov's dogs on an individual basis without even needing to be in the same room as Pavlov.

Like the deep state needs more help pulling the strings.

It is widely suspected that the NSA does this already. With the datasets available to them, it could be possible that there are routines running constantly modeling behavior of individuals who are detected making specific types of statements or something.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yep, we are getting played like fiddles.

If you read the last paragraph, it makes it sound like facebook itself was a government funded project to collect data.

Which I wouldn't be too surprised about, John Perry Barlow consulted for the CIA and recommended this type of "soft power" data collection.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Yep, we are getting played like fiddles.

If you read the last paragraph, it makes it sound like facebook itself was a government funded project to collect data.

Which I wouldn't be too surprised about, John Perry Barlow consulted for the CIA and recommended this type of "soft power" data collection.

well...we know that the CIA likes to recruit quite a bit out of the same school that Zucc went to.

In fact, it could be possible that the prior POTUS was recruited from the same school.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Before we green light any project, the bean counters demand a total scan... You don't commit a dime without one.

Capitalism....

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I believe we need a legal code of ethics for data harvesting. What say you, ATS?

We only need one- outright ban data harvesting. Make it a felony.
Problem solved.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

I believe we need a legal code of ethics for data harvesting. What say you, ATS?

We only need one- outright ban data harvesting. Make it a felony.
Problem solved.

I'm down.

Try to convince the control matrix/deep state/oligarchs/intel cabal

Won't happen

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Do you think you could find me a link to a source for that?

JPB was pretty influencial in the Electronic Frountier Foundation, but I'm having trouble squaring some o fhis leanings with the stated mission of the EFF. Actually, I've see some articles on the EFF website that make me question whether they even understand their own mission.

A link would be much appreciated.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join