It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US boy, 9, 'kills sister, 13, over controller'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK
This is the fault of who ever is raising this child.

First off, for having a firearm where a child has access to it.

Second off, for not educating the child about the dangers of the firearm they had in the house.

This has been my entire intention.. but we have some people going on about "GUN CONTROL" and bring it back to the useless rhetoric we get in every other gun themed thread...

nothing about gun control, gun laws would have altered this tragedy. This is about people who have guns and how they can be so complacent in their responsibilities.

A 9 year old manages to get a gun and shoot his sister dead. Not that the gun wasn't the one doing it, not that he could have used a fork, but he had access to a gun.

And so many people so far have stated that they were around easily accessible guns all the time in their childhood.

Might be fine in a time when kids did play cowboys and indians, but not today when kids shoot their sisters. Something is amiss.

Something needs looking into.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

What's to be sorry for?

You're spot on.

It's not the game, it's not the gun, it's the person, and how that child became so psychotic that he thought it right and proper behaviour to shoot his sister, not just shoot, but kill, over a flippin' game controller.

Only the age makes this even remotely unique. There's more than one cause here, and blaming games or guns isn't going to solve it.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Deluxe

Hey, a dose of reality!

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

that there are responsible firearm owners out there. that children should not have access to weapons.

i could add... parents who own firearms should spend a lot of time teaching their kids about firearm safety.

as a gun owner it is our responsibility to educate ourselves and our families on the proper use and care of firearms.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Actually, most uses of firearms do NOT result in the death of the individual...hell, most shots miss the intended target altogether.

Just thought that you would like to update your claim a little in the interest of keeping it real.

And as the saying goes by people who actually train in the matter, I'd much rather be in close-quarter-combat with someone with a gun than a knife, but a good rule of thumb is always have both on you at all times

But the saying should be: Don't go to a gun fight.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

A nine year old who doesn't know what a gun does? In this day and age? Not buyin' that.

There is something loose in that kids head that allows him to think solving this problem, lack of a controller, requires shooting his sister.

It is entirely possible that he thinks, though I doubt he does now, that as with video games, you just reset to start over.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Actually, most uses of firearms do NOT result in the death of the individual...hell, most shots miss the intended target altogether.

So let's arm teachers and put more guns out there. What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yay, we're bringing this debate to the thread now!

You forgot to quantify that we want the ability (not forced inclusion) for highly trained teachers with maintained skills to be willing to carry the burden of protecting human lives in the unlikely case of an armed assailant targeting themselves and/or their classroom.

But, yeah, being vague and inflammatory about it sure seems like a better approach, as does a classroom full of kids cowering in fear with no way to protect themselves except for hope, blind luck, and the occasional teacher willing to be a human shield for the children.

Yes, yes--your way sounds much better. Let's do that!

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

So let's arm teachers and put more guns out there. What could possibly go wrong?

Does this help the topic of a 9 yr old having easy access to a weapon in his home?

Come on dude... the topic is a 9 yr old shot his sister over a controller for a game. has nothing to do with schools, or age limits, or any of the other beaten horses.

Where do we look to even start to fix this sort of thing? A child should not be able to access a weapon in their home. Something was dropped in this scenario. And a child should not think a gun is a toy, or a game with respawns.

Who messed up. And why did a kid think this way?

If there are so many people just raising kids with guns, loaded, laying around, is that not even a concern? everyone here says it's not. They were raised with them. What about today? Back in the day people let their kids walk to school. Now it's a different time.

Even the internet is not safe for a 9 year old, unsupervised. Why is a gun?

Something needs to be discussed, and it's got SFA to do with laws and all that... it's got everything to do with who you consider responsible.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

We don't want the ability. You want the ability. Not me.
Now we need our teachers to be navy seals too?

More guns means more chances for things to go bad. My opinion of course. I know I am the minority though. Most here really seem to want those guns in as many hands as possible

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deluxe
a reply to: face23785

My nieces and nephews grew up in rural Iowa. They learned gun safety in school at age 11. Lots of hunters out there.
My father taught me gun safety at a young age with a BB gun. I used to shoot cans in the backyard. Jesus if i did that now in my neighborhood i'd probably be arrested.
He also had shotguns and rifles in his closet but I knew better than to ever touch those. The bullets were locked away but I still had a healthy respect and fear of what guns could do. They were not to be played with aside from the BB gun

I agree with you that firearm training is important and the person who owned that gun should be charged.

I think many gun owners would agree they should be charged. Despite how the media likes to paint us, the vast majority of us are responsible owners and we're absolutely in favor of harsh penalties for people who abuse their 2A right, whether that's by gross irresponsibility like this or by committing robbery, murder etc. Unfortunately the big gun control wigs want criminal justice reform, like reduced penalties for drug dealers who were caught with an illegal gun. Obama was commuting sentences of people who had gun law convictions. But the NRA is the problem. The NRA is the biggest gun safety organization in the country. If these gun control groups did half as much to advance real safety as the NRA has, then I could listen to them. Remember this gem? Gun control group sends useless gun locks to NFL players

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Discussions evolve. Gonna have to deal with that.

And clearly the parents dropped the ball. Kids should not be able to get to their parents guns.

The thing is though they will. Just like things will go wrong. More guns put there means more chances for that to happen.

You guys can have your gun circle jerk without me. I shouldn't have chimed in. I can't handle another debate with a lot of the pro gun nutters here.
I'm out

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

No death? How do you know that? How do you know this kid wouldn't have simply gone to kitchen, gotten a knife and stabbed her several times killing her that way?

This kid was made enough, and I am repeating this now for the third time, that he left the room, went to another room, got the gun, went back to the room she was in, and shot her. That was not a snap lashing out. It took enough time for him to consider what he was doing.

He could just as easily have gone for a knife had there not been a gun ... or a baseball bat ... or daddy's crowbar. Any of those things are also lethal when employed on the head/neck.

The only way you are 100% correct is that she would not have been shot.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join