It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US boy, 9, 'kills sister, 13, over controller'

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Deluxe

Nowhere did I say "outlaw guns"... impossible to have this discussion with people that overlay their own narrative on other people's words.

Not trying to save everyone, only discussing ideas that could reduce the incidents of fatal shootings, and searching for a middle ground that can be accepted by everybody.

By your reasoning, there is no problem, nothing needs changing, life? tough luck, buy a gun.

Why bother trying to make the world a slightly better place? I got mine and my own. Right?

Bravo

FYI. I don't own a gun either, but if I ever lived in a rural area and had the opportunity to hunt or even had a property big enough to use a gun safely, I would probably own one.

I do enjoy spear fishing, but usually I just freedive (much more enjoyable to look at fish, rather than kill them, unless I intend to eat it).
edit on 22-3-2018 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

Actually I apologize you didn't say outlaw guns.
There most definitely is a problem.
We have laws in place that people break.
I have no idea what the solution is to people breaking laws.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Once there was no constitutions or amendments.
Great thing about such things is they can be changed to fit the situation and times.
I mean those rights were granted in a different era, in different circumstances.
Hot on the heels of wars of independence, civil or whatever, under monarchy rule.
2018 U.S of A is not the same as 1700's U.S of A

Plus I don't need a piece of paper written a couple of hundred years ago to authorize me to defend myself.
Thankfully there are many ways to skin a cat.
So owning and using a gun is not the only form of defense available to me.
Basically I can defend myself, but with a reasonable amount of force. Not an excessive one.
(If I campaigned the government to legalize land mines so I could mine my yard. Would it be okay because the law said it was or would you think that was insane regardless of legality?)

And I can kind of feel good that the methods I would use to defend myself and my loved ones are low risk of unintentionally killing them.
No risk of the kids accidentally shooting their siblings. Accidentally shooting them because I heard them sneaking home in the middle of the night.
I can send my kids to school knowing the risk of a gunman shooting the place up are almost non-existent.
During road rage it's more likely to end in a bit of a beating, me or them not death.

Sure I feel much of the U.S gun culture like many things is one of indoctrination. Nature Vs. Nurture. But hey when in Rome. My opinion is just that an opinion. It has no baring on your laws and 'rights'.

I just think you people need to reassess your 'rights' a bit more thoroughly, think on the day and age we live in.
Not saying ban guns, changing an entire culture and mentality of an entire nation doesn't happen over night.
But I do think ya'll need to starting get a bit smarter about gun ownership and the mindset surrounding it is all.
Think on it a bit deeper.

It just being a right given by some long dead person only goes so far as a point of argument I feel.
I mean whose rights are more important? A persons right to own a gun for whatever reasons, or a persons right to be alive and not be killed by a gun.

Because honestly I see more innocent people being killed by non-criminals with guns, than home owners killing home invaders with guns these days.
Regardless there is a major problem in the U.S that needs fixing when it comes to firearms one way or another.
edit on 24-3-2018 by AtomicKangaroo because: typos as usual. probably more in there lol.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

The constitution was ratified on June 25th, 1788. The bill of rights (first 10 amendments) was passed on september 25th 1789. There were literally 15 months with no amendments.

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join