It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media gun control darling Hogg embarasses himself by being uninformed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Conservative Tribune

Now I know the usual folks are gonna come in and attack the source because they're unable to refute anything I'm about to say, and that's fine. That just shows the weakness of their position.

For those unfamiliar with David Hogg, he's the teenager from Parkland the media has latched on to because of his emotional gun control message. This article basically accuses him of using the Parkland shooting tragedy to gain fame, and I don't endorse that view. I think he really holds these gun control views, and the media have just been taking advantage of that the same way pro-gun media takes advantage of students who are pro-gun. Hogg has emerged as the go-to though, essentially becoming one of the new poster boys for the gun control lobby.

Apparently he released a video in advance of the 24 March gun control event being planned. The problem? The way it's edited together, it makes him look uninformed and stupid, unintentionally satirizing the gun control movement. At around 14 seconds, he say "What if we all voted and said this is not okay?", followed by clips of Conon Lamb victorious in the PA-18 special election last week, as if this is some sort of evidence of voters being fed up and voting a pro-gun-control candidate, even in a district which heavily favored Trump. Except Lamb didn't run as a gun control candidate. In fact, he ran as a pro-gun candidate.

In fact, Lamb ran on a “Blue Dog Democrat” platform of supporting the Second Amendment, and opposes anti-gun programs like “high capacity” magazine bans.

“New gun laws aren’t the answer to preventing more mass shootings like the one at a Florida high school,” the newly elected congressman declared shortly after the Parkland tragedy.

At this point, I'm sure some of our resident gun control advocates will try to say that wasn't how it was meant to be received. Except that's exactly how the rest of the video is put together. In the beginning he talks about politicians being "the bitches of the NRA", followed by a clip of Trump accusing congressmen of being afraid of the NRA. Later he talks about the 24 March event, follow by clips of previous events like the walk out. Statement, followed by example. Statement, followed by example. There's no reason to believe that wasn't the intent of the section featuring Conor Lamb.

Were they unaware that Lamb ran as a pro-gun candidate? It certainly appears so. It made no sense to highlight him in that part of the video where they're talking about people being fed up and voting in pro-gun-control candidates. It probably wasn't even his gaffe. Whoever helped him put together the video probably did that, and was poorly informed. As I said, I find it disappointingly satirical of the gun control movement, being uninformed about one of their key points. They certainly picked the right person to be one of their new faces.

This is a silly mistake, and honestly not that big of a deal. It's just kind of funny. And sad. As I've told numerous posters here, the absolute refusal to get informed on this issue by some gun control advocates is actually a barrier to progress. An honest conversation about guns and gun policy can't be held with people who don't know anything about guns, gun laws, gun policy, etc and refuse to listen to those who do. We will never reach a real, workable solution as long as that's the case. For those of us who actually do want to find ways to cut down on these mass shootings, it's more sad than funny.

ETA: I realize the OP comes off confrontational, but as I noted later in the thread I'm perfectly willing to have a civil conversation on the subject. A few members have found this out already. I decided to add this to take some of the edge off. If anyone has a serious question or issue that isn't going to be qualified with a pre-emptive attack accusing me or the NRA (also me) of being terrorists and loving dead kids - because those aren't things that people who want to have a civil conversation say - please feel free to message me. If you legit don't understand something about guns, gun culture etc, I am willing to help out if you're willing to listen without the child-killer accusations and whatnot.
edit on 18 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785 I believe that a REALLY big thing to consider is if the students do not get gun control they WILL determine the next POTUS. I don’t have kids but I do know that if I did the best thing would be to teach and not place blame.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785
And wanted to add I completely agree with you on this. Just wanted to point this out. We have to teach for them to learn.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The misinformed teaching the uninformed......what could go wrong?

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Just about everything, I think...

I wonder when this kid will wake to the fact that he's being used? ...and as soon as he's not useful, he'll be discarded as yesterdays news?

While I disagree with him, he's going to get a wake up call rather rudely via his so called allies...when his usefulness as a tool is done.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
I wonder when this kid will wake to the fact that he's being used? ...and as soon as he's not useful, he'll be discarded as yesterdays news?

I watched this happen to a classmate of mine 4 decades ago. I saw him a few years back. A wretched and bitter person who has wasted his entire adult life waiting for his next 15 minutes of fame.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
What could go wrong? (BTW: I got the sarcasm)

Well, if you wanted to get more banning of guns passed, would YOU want voters informed of the topic, or voters that you can intentionally misinform (and keep misinformed)?

Keeping the next generation uninformed, and with the attitude they refuse to be informed, will allow the Democratic Party to gain seats in Congress, if not the POTUS. That, there, is the true hidden goal.

These kids and young adults simply do not have the real world experience yet for them to see they are being manipulated into voting a certain way.

They have not been taught the meaning of our Constitution in the left controlled academic world.
They have not been taught that we live in a Constitutional Republic and not a true democracy (I.e. ruled by the mob mentality).
They have not been taught (as many older generations were) at an early age what firearms are and what the laws are in existence to make it illegal to do all of these shootings.
They have not learned to truly assess the risks in life, but instead to live a fantasy life of zero risk (which is impossible).

And based upon some of the responses I have seen from some of the younger ATS members, I can see this is not a case of paranoia on my part, but one of observance.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
David Hogg, like most condescending Leftists, seems to think he is the smartest person in the room.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I feel bad for the kid, its obvious he is being used and either does not realize it or is just following dads orders.
Its a shame that parents are so willing to prostitute their child like this, rather than make a good solid argument to enact change.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
This guy knows exactly what he is doing. He likely already has an internship lined up with CNN and they will deploy him to every single shooting event they can be already on the scene for before it even happens as possible. He will go into "oh, man again? I remember when I survived a similar incident at my high school ... blah blah blah more ignorant I hate America and the constitution rhetoric etc.. etc.."

I don't much care for this new Hollywood actor named David Hogg.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: face23785 I believe that a REALLY big thing to consider is if the students do not get gun control they WILL determine the next POTUS. I don’t have kids but I do know that if I did the best thing would be to teach and not place blame.

I am all about teaching. I've offered to clear up some things for members here, most are just unwilling to listen. With a few exceptions. I've had good conversations with family members and folks on social media over the last few weeks, with some folks who were receptive to learning. After 30 or 40 minutes of listening to their proposals and why not do xyz, and explaining what some of their misconceptions are and why xyz wouldn't work, usually I get an admission of "I don't really know anything about guns, I just..." followed by why they thought what they thought. Sometimes they stuck to that despite the corrected information I'd given them, sometimes they realized they'd been had and went forward more knowledgeable.

To that point, I extend an offer to anyone who wants to have an honest conversation to shoot me a PM, or if it seems applicable to this thread, ask here. I may not get to them until late tonight or tomorrow, depending on how the next few hours go. I'm about to get busy elsewhere.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

If you can't even OWN a firearm until the age of 21, then why in the purple-f#ck does a god-damned 18 year old get to f#cking decide if I can?????

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Jumping in here...so many of our younger generation are NOT being truly taught the disastrous effects on any and all minorities regarding a 'majority democracy'. Too often, they are conned on a few simple issues that resonate with them. They have not developed the experience to realize that on real issues that the 'majority democracy' can turn instantly against them.

I can only hope we can get back to educating our youth on the reality of why America was and has been a fountain of hope for minorities. It was not majority rules...it was liberty and freedom for all.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

That may be what's been dangled, but if they don't get the legislation passed Ill wager he gets tossed aside once he's no longer a "kid" in school.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I was raised a DEM and am still but I love my guns and often times lean right. My mom is a crazy hardcore anti gun liberal who actually thinks taking guns away is the answer. When I try to get through to her she gets upset and wont listen to reason. I sometimes wonder if it’s a lost cause with her. My family including me are democrats. And for some reason she is the only one that gets upset knowing I have many weapons of all types in my house and lashes out calling me a crazy alt-right person. I want to educate her but I can’t lol HELP

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

pfft!

My family thinks I'm a leftist because I think same-sex marriage is no big deal and I think pot should be legal everywhere.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

OK , Take Away American Citizens Constitutional Right to Own Firearms . They will then be Unarmed and be Unable to Resist Outside Forces that Wish to Eradicate them for Any Reason on a Personal Level . The God Given Right to Exist , the Survival Instinct be Damned ? Ah , Got it ?
edit on 18-3-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Well I believe I will stop demanding your guns even though the pics you post after are freaking hilarious. Generally when I respond to you for some reason I am waxing my bow strings lol. Was “bow strings” the name of your band?! Lol

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
I was raised a DEM and am still but I love my guns and often times lean right. My mom is a crazy hardcore anti gun liberal who actually thinks taking guns away is the answer. When I try to get through to her she gets upset and wont listen to reason. I sometimes wonder if it’s a lost cause with her. My family including me are democrats. And for some reason she is the only one that gets upset knowing I have many weapons of all types in my house and lashes out calling me a crazy alt-right person. I want to educate her but I can’t lol HELP

Try taking her to a gun show or a training class. Most guns shows are nothing like what the average anti-gunner thinks they are. Once they see such a glaring example of one of their misconceptions, it can make them open their mind to the possibility that some of the other things they think they "know" are wrong too.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I shall try this but getting her away from CNN may prove to be troublesome. I haven’t been to a gun show since I lived in Oklahoma. I miss the excitement. It’s like being 12 and going to toys-r-us. Gonna miss that place

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join