It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Template: ''A Face in the Crowd” from 1957

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

In 1958 my father took me to see a comedy movie titled “No time for Sargeants”. That movie, his second, introduced me to the actor Andy Griffith, in which he played an innocent and naive young country bumpkin drafted into the military.To this day it is still one of my favorite comic portrayals on film.

Several years later while watching old TV movies I happened across Griffith's first movie, “A Face in the Crowd”. Expecting another comic portrayal I settled in for a funny movie which it turned out was not what it was at all.

A Face in the Crowd is the portrayal of a narcissist country roust about who, through is innate ability to charm people, makes his way to the top of the TV industry selling any product that will sponser him and his down home country charm.

He catches the attention of not only advertising executives but also politicians. He becomes a wheeler and dealer and eventually a king maker.

The movie, made in 1956 was in a way an expose of the way television manipulates people. It dramatizes the ease with which TV lies and twists the truth in order to sell it's products, be they vitamin pills or presidents. It dramatizes the politics and power plays within the TV and advertising industry. It exposes the early use of ''laugh'' and ''applause'' tracks to cajole the audience into accepting the messages delivered.

The two faces of ''Lonesome Roads'', Griffith's character is is finally exposed to the public, the public who love him when he believes himself to be ''off the air'' when in reality he is still on the air.

A member here once asked me about my dislike for Donald Trump. I was asked for proof, for facts that have brought about my dislike. I offer none here, only an old dramatic portrayal of what I consider the true nature of Trump to be.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What's the best way to sell a ton of guns? Tell people they're bad and should be banned, the recent hike in gun sales proves that to be true. What's the best way to sell a scumbag into office? Tell people he doesn't deserve to be there. The media sold their product like a charm and are still doing so. Clinton and the media pretty much handed Trump to us on a silver platter. The more they trash him the more support he will get from it and the deeper it will be. They knew this and still do, that's the main reason Trump has become akin to a cult of personality, he was painted as an underdog by his friends in the media despite his glaring character flaws and deep ties to the establishment.
edit on 3/18/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It's called:

Reverse psychology.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

In 1958 my father took me to see a comedy movie titled “No time for Sargeants”. That movie, his second, introduced me to the actor Andy Griffith, in which he played an innocent and naive young country bumpkin drafted into the military.To this day it is still one of my favorite comic portrayals on film.

Several years later while watching old TV movies I happened across Griffith's first movie, “A Face in the Crowd”. Expecting another comic portrayal I settled in for a funny movie which it turned out was not what it was at all.

A Face in the Crowd is the portrayal of a narcissist country roust about who, through is innate ability to charm people, makes his way to the top of the TV industry selling any product that will sponser him and his down home country charm.

He catches the attention of not only advertising executives but also politicians. He becomes a wheeler and dealer and eventually a king maker.

The movie, made in 1956 was in a way an expose of the way television manipulates people. It dramatizes the ease with which TV lies and twists the truth in order to sell it's products, be they vitamin pills or presidents. It dramatizes the politics and power plays within the TV and advertising industry. It exposes the early use of ''laugh'' and ''applause'' tracks to cajole the audience into accepting the messages delivered.

The two faces of ''Lonesome Roads'', Griffith's character is is finally exposed to the public, the public who love him when he believes himself to be ''off the air'' when in reality he is still on the air.

A member here once asked me about my dislike for Donald Trump. I was asked for proof, for facts that have brought about my dislike. I offer none here, only an old dramatic portrayal of what I consider the true nature of Trump to be.

Both great films. S&F

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Sounds like 98% of the politicians in DC et al.

Since you brought him up, why you focus all your loathing (that in reality should cut every which way) on him as if its all just one man?

I wonder if him being on your opposing team has anything to do with it. Or how the MSM told us to HATE him? Hmm...

edit on 18-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Great movie without question. The flip side of this coin is why such techniques work on the public to sell things. It breaks down to this: society is based on trust, the more advanced a society the greater the levels of trust involved. People want to believe, they are trained to take things on face value especially if more people agree with it. They are using the very basis of civilization against the people by abusing that trust. It is a sure recipe for social disaster as we see those bonds of trust disappear replaced by doubt and cynicism. What kind of society will these negative responses create? We are living it and so far the results are not good.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I think adored hobby heritage obsession product being banned vs. some rough edged wealthy jerk being slandered is a false equivalence.

The MSM ran the same playbook on Ron Paul. Did they do that to prop him up too?

Your depiction might speak to the general election, but even there how much? Poll data shows Trump voters didnt even expect him to win. Is that how you ENSURE victory?

How many DNC voters did that win Trump?

Meanwhile I can see him being in many ways the inverse of the groomed politician OP seems to describe. Let it all hang out guy. I couldnt count how many people I saw speak to that in 2016. Here Matt Damon's character basically does that:

It overtly portrayed that voters are sick of the fake groomed politicians.

Which is precisely how I'd describe Hillary, Obama, Romney, and so on. And like they're not all a bunch of narcissists (Hillary can match Trump in that dept. all year long). Like Millennial's (most narcissistic generation in human history) truly hate narcissists? Look how fast DNC minions went bananas drooling over Oprah running, when she's EVERYTHING they all supposedly hate Trump for (well other than being straight white male).

Is that how you'd describe Trump? A fake groomed politician??? A well polished product silver tongued into your good graces? Or more a 'spoiled' bull in a china shop (that got his way)?

Now the DNC rigging the primary's to force a Hillary vs. Trump general election situation, much can be spoken to that. But it is KNOWN they had the 'its Hillary's turn' cards laid out years in advance.

So this is why I still cant decided whether or not he's deep down an Establishment Stooge. I can see what you're saying and how it coudl add up. Its just to go through that scale of a charade, what to appeal to the marginal oddballs like in ATS, all while risking everything (marathon running around with pants around ankles), and still not letting up about it...
edit on 18-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Best post I have read all day.
Thank you
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
What's the best way to sell a ton of guns? Tell people they're bad and should be banned, the recent hike in gun sales proves that to be true. What's the best way to sell a scumbag into office? Tell people he doesn't deserve to be there. The media sold their product like a charm and are still doing so. Clinton and the media pretty much handed Trump to us on a silver platter. The more they trash him the more support he will get from it and the deeper it will be. They knew this and still do, that's the main reason Trump has become akin to a cult of personality, he was painted as an underdog by his friends in the media despite his glaring character flaws and deep ties to the establishment.

The MEDIA, the MSM was secretly for Trump.....Riiighttttt.....no one can fool your brilliant "enlightened " mind ( all of 3W bulb ? with nearly empty batteries ?) ...

Despite all his flaws, the US and the world is better off with Trump than the bitch Hillary.

Just ask the women in Libya, whose Gaddafi was replaced by Hillary by islamists, or ask women in Syria, who nearly fell to the same fate.

Better yet, ask the earthquake victims in Haiti, whose aid money was stolen by the Clintons and a portion of which was spent instead on Chelsea's wedding. Bastards!

edit on 18-3-2018 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Sounds like 98% of the politicians in DC et al.

Since you brought him up, why you focus all your loathing (that in reality should cut every which way) on him as if its all just one man?

I wonder if him being on your opposing team has anything to do with it. Or how the MSM told us to HATE him? Hmm...

I focus on him Bliss, because he is president. It is nice to be able to think that those opposed to Trump do so because they are brainwashed and told what to believe by the media. However, as true as that might be in so many cases, it does not hold true to the degree with which it is used as an explanation to his supporters as to why so many vehemently oppose him. It simply is not the case.

Cutting it every which way should be our responsibility. To cut against Trump is just as important as to cut for him. Cutting for him has exposed a lot about the manipulative nature of this society yet not deeply enough in my estimation.
Cutting against him now is to value those lessons brought to light about corruption and ineptitude posing as patriotism that will only turn us blind. Both eyes open, not just one

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Trump was not part of the "establishment elite". However, he has spent his first year scouting for the allies that can cement his hold over the establishment while doing his best to keep the dangerous elements of the old Deep State from putting him six feet under.

Its basically 1984 playing out right now. Trump has created a new establishment with different loyalties than the one that has mostly ruled since about Vietnam. This establishment focuses on itself just like any and all before it and those that will succeed it. I still like Trump more than pretty much any POTUS before him though. We just have to remember, all these good things for America his administration is doing for us is only temporary. The new establishment only has to appease the proles long enough for the middle class to replace the old elite. Once that shift is mostly completed, it goes back to business as usual, at least hopefully with a dramatic shift and focus towards domestic security and favorable trade rather than the sell outs that were the Deep State until recently.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

no one can fool your brilliant "enlightened " mind ( all of 3W bulb ? with nearly empty batteries ?)

Obligatory screen name jab. If you have to resort to insults you've already lost the argument, in fact you didn't have an argument to begin with which is why you felt the need to resort to low blows. Good job.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Trump played his role as controlled opposition to Obama, Hillary played her 'second fiddle' character perfectly to the eventual winner ( first to Obama,, then again to Trump).

Trump was a groomed guy. can you imagine the egomaniac trump, etc sitting thru this pre-scripted roasting, unless someone offered him the job?

edit on 18-3-2018 by VimanaExplorer because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2018 by VimanaExplorer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

That is one of the finest replies I have ever read on ATS. As tribal members for how many tens and tens of thousands of years we survived not because we were all individuals, but rather because we were members of a tribe that trusted each segment of the tribe for support. People learned how to work together to bring down the big game, trust each other in the planting and the harvest.

Machiavelli codified the tactics for manipulation by the elites. The Prince laid out how to lie and convince the people the rulers were on their side.
The late 19th century brought the studies in psychology that rather than serving to help people as individuals has served rather to show those manipulators how to control people for their own purposes. And the key to that is what you point out. Basically we are tribal and reliant upon one another for survival.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Trump was not part of the "establishment elite". However, he has spent his first year scouting for the allies that can cement his hold over the establishment while doing his best to keep the dangerous elements of the old Deep State from putting him six feet under.

I agree that he was not part of the establishment elite. However I think he was a minor player in the establishment game who wanted to BE the elite.

Trump has created a new establishment with different loyalties than the one that has mostly ruled since about Vietnam.

I don't disagree here either except for I think that he is ''trying'' to establish that new establishment.

The new establishment only has to appease the proles long enough for the middle class to replace the old elite. Once that shift is mostly completed, it goes back to business as usual,

Here though I disagree completely. The notion that the proletariat will replace the old elite is a dream worthy of Marx and Lenin both. For all the dreams of the working class stepping into power, it relied upon a transitory period of the Big Man in charge until the correct establishment was in place and THEN the working class would run things. And we know how that worked out.

The notion that the establishment that Trump will put in place will be any different from any other tyrant wannabe is a very big gamble. I think it's great that the movement around him has managed to unseat the the Establishment's next queen is a great step forward but to leave this transition period in the hands of a wannabe elite like Trump is a sure fire receipt for disaster.
edit on 31America/ChicagoSun, 18 Mar 2018 19:52:02 -0500Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:52:02 -050018032018-03-18T19:52:02-05:00700000052 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Nope.

Pretty sure the women in Libya would agree.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Oh, so Trump is a one man wrecking crew across the entire world. Not only did he single handedly liberate Libya but he also saved Syria from annihilation with the wave of a hand.

Glad to see you mistakenly put so much power into Trump's hands.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Oh, so Trump is a one man wrecking crew across the entire world. Not only did he single handedly liberate Libya but he also saved Syria from annihilation with the wave of a hand.

Glad to see you mistakenly put so much power into Trump's hands.

No.
Re- read again what I wrote, slower
Hillary, yes HILLARY made a mess of Libya, found a way to replace Gaddafi with something WORSE, Islamists.
Either incompetence on her part, or she did it in exchange for foundation money from Qatar.
Hillary almost did the same in Syria, which is the CAUSE of the worst refugee crisis since WW2
FACTS!
HILLARY is the one person wrecking crew.

AND.
I stated that Trump is not perfect and has flaws.
You are the one who mistakenly put near religious faith in Hillary, and then you project this on me and others.

Either way, Hillary is not Presidential material and you should be able to know better and use "critical thinking" to figure out that someone who rigs a Presidential primary should not be President.

Good luck

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Thank you Terry, very kind of you but honestly it was low-hanging fruit. One thing ATS has taught me is to look at things from various angles and often it's the simplest things at the center of it that are forgotten. It's easy to get caught up in extrapolation and following the trail of bread crumbs they carefully lay before us. Human dynamics are the lost equation in politics and policies and the effects they have on us both individually and socially are of equal importance. Suicide and divorce rates might be good indicators of how well or unwell we are.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I get the 'blame the POTUS at the time a crime / bs law / scandal / etc involving the white house somehow' goes down.

But you said you "hate Trump" because he's like caricatures from this movie. Which I'm surmising to be the fake groomed polished product politicians which is DAMN NEAR ALL of them as long as either of us have been alive. Which is pretty ironic as if anything Trump, the anti-hero, breaks away from that mold more than any other POTUS during this same time period. Whereas Obama, Hillary, Romney, Bush, etc are prime examples of the archetype. Obama in particular, in fact, the 'Teleprompter in Chief', it came out that he was so groomed he actually lived with a famous actor for a period of time so he could emulate (act) like him and seem more 'presidential' (like YEARS in advance of even running for senate, I believe is the story / details.

So why not "hate" every politician for being fake ass cookie cutouts?

Did you "hate" Obama for being the fakest one ever?

And why does Trump most of all strike you as being some polish actor?

And how does it work, does he just act like a dick / troll / sleazeball / etc (but in real life he's a nice sweet little old man)?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join