It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another store chain to stop selling guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is really getting serious. Though there will be lots of places that still do sell guns and ammo, the changes since the Florida shooting have been significant. This shows that the gun-control movement is really gaining steam and is a change in society, not just a political meme. Most likely the US of the future will have far less guns and gun owners and will be quite different than society today.

www.seattlepi.com...

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

*shrugs*

Their choice.

I like to go to a dealer instead. Never really liked the chain stores.

I like to buy local and support the local economy.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Fred Meyer is the same company as Kroger who announced this nearly a month ago.
edit on 3/18/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Good for them. Stick to your beliefs. Don't let money drive your moral compass. I think gun sales should be done by mom and pop small businesses as they have the knowledge and thought to inform their customers in a better way then the big box stores could. If it saves one life, it was all worth it.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

The company said the firearms category represents about $7 million annually of its revenue and sales have been declining.

According to Wiki they have a revenue of $4.897 billion

That means that Fred Meyer is stopping the sale of something that only amounted to 1.42% of their yearly revenue (give or take)

Considering the headquarters being in Portland, really not surprising, and won't make a dent in overall US gun sales. I wouldn't call this "serious"... pretty small fish here.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If I wanted to buy another gun, I would get it from my local sporting store locally. They actually have low overhead and their business is paid for. Their prices have always been competitive with big chain stores on guns and ammo and you do not need to wait for a sale to get a decent price.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'd stop doing business with them, if I ever did. But I didn't. I haven't even ever heard of them.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This is really getting serious. Though there will be lots of places that still do sell guns and ammo, the changes since the Florida shooting have been significant. This shows that the gun-control movement is really gaining steam and is a change in society, not just a political meme. Most likely the US of the future will have far less guns and gun owners and will be quite different than society today.

www.seattlepi.com...

Never heard of them....not that any of these places account for any major sales of guns or ammo.

Pretty sure it's not getting serious and is more about cutting out an area that they didn't make much on anyways.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The company itself said this was a business decision, it has nothing to do with the recent gun control push.

It is simply removing items that at most accounted for less than 2% of sales and that number is declining.

No left wing virtue signaling here- just right wing business savvy.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Good for them. Stick to your beliefs. Don't let money drive your moral compass. I think gun sales should be done by mom and pop small businesses as they have the knowledge and thought to inform their customers in a better way then the big box stores could. If it saves one life, it was all worth it.

Wow, I love this reply. I actually agree with you both on "good for them" and that mom&pop places are better suited for it for a variety of reasons.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Great opportunities for regular dealerships 😎

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Another store chain?

What were the other chains that stopped selling guns?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
well this will be good for the small gun stores like the ones i usually frequent

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
What difference will it make when you can go to a back alley in any U.S. city and buy semi to fully automatic weapons from Carlos without any background check !

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: sotar

Yes, you certainly can.

However, "Carlos" may actually be "Carl" from ATF, and you are in big time trouble.

I didn't even know Freddy's sold firearms and ammunition... Huh.

I go to the local mom and pop stores anyway. They actually know what they're selling, unlike the folks, most of 'em, at the box stores.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: sotar

Yes, you certainly can.

However, "Carlos" may actually be "Carl" from ATF, and you are in big time trouble.

I didn't even know Freddy's sold firearms and ammunition... Huh.

I go to the local mom and pop stores anyway. They actually know what they're selling, unlike the folks, most of 'em, at the box stores.

Naw. Those are the ones from the "Fast and Furious operation"
Some ATF agent "undercover" selling the weapons that they had leftover from that operation for a little "bonus"

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
As an ardent 2nd amendment supporter, and CCW holder in one of the toughest gun-control states, I actually agree with the premise that big chain retailers should not be selling firearms at all (ammo, on the other hand, would be OK).

My reasoning is that the selection, purchase and training for a firearm should be done on a personal level. The chain stores are anything but that. Firearms, IMO, should not be sold in the same manner as let's say housewares or toiletries. It should be a highly specialized sale process, where a salesperson is totally knowledgeable about the stock, be able to judge the potential buyer 1:1, and have the power to refuse the sale based upon the company policies (that should be listed at the front door).

However, this does NOT mean I agree with making it a mandatory law at all. If anything is going to be legislated, I think that the sales staff for firearms should be able to handle them legally (I've been in some big box stores that sold firearms where the sales person could not legally touch them, only unlock the case to allow you to inspect and hold them, after showing your license). That experience gave me a really bad feeling about that store, and their lack of care for selling these items.

Ammunition is more of a commodity in that respect. Any store that can demonstrate they can store their stock of ammo securely when closed should be able to decide for themselves if it is a profitable business for them to be in at the time.

edit on 3/18/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Never heard of them.
Wouldn't buy from them for making this choice.

So easy to get a gun in my state. And I am thankful for that.
Yeah hunters!

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The company itself said this was a business decision, it has nothing to do with the recent gun control push

Of course they said that, how often are businesses honest?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

The company itself said this was a business decision, it has nothing to do with the recent gun control push

Of course they said that, how often are businesses honest?

Quote of the day, by a member with a hope and change avatar of all things.

So you are saying that this business is basically the canary in the mine... it is a harbinger of good liberal things to come about gun control.

Then when you are presented with the fact that the company said it was basically a business decision, you come back with "businesses lie."

So which is it? I can see now why liberals are so miserable. They don't know day to day which end is up until CNN tells them how to feel for the day.

Sorry for you too, this day. I hope it gets better for you.
edit on 18-3-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join