It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.A. Evidence of the Mandela Effect: once, Republicans were BLUE, Democrats RED

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That has been bugging me since the past U.S. election. The colors of Democrats = blue, Republicans = red has become so overpowering that the colors have become synonymous with the respective political parties in American politics.

Originally, the colors were the opposite. I'll try to post evidence in this thread. here are a couple of graphics that date from the election depicted,[/I] showing republicans as blue and democrat-held states as red.

www.historycentral.com...

presidentelect.org...

uselectionatlas.org...

1992: Clinton wins (red)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
here's more recent maps. I'm trying to find the year that the colors were changed. Note, if you do a google search or bing, ALL the maps show the current (2018) color scheme. You have to find archived images or old video footage from election night to find the original color-scheme.

1996. arkansas red for Clinton's relection

2000 Election: Gore (democrat) in red...

2004: Kerry the democrat candidate in red

2008: Obama (democrat) wins in red

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

The choice of colors reverses a long-standing convention of political colors whereby red symbols (such as the Red Flag or Red Star) are associated with left-wing politics, and right-wing movements often choose blue as a contrasting color.[5] Indeed, until the 1980s, Republicans were often represented by blue and Democrats by red. The current terminology of "red states" and "blue states" came into use in the United States presidential election of 2000 on an episode of the Today show on October 30, 2000. According to The Washington Post, the terms were coined by journalist Tim Russert, during his televised coverage of the 2000 presidential election.[6] That was not the first election during which the news media used colored maps to depict voter preferences in the various states, but it was the first time a standard color scheme took hold; the colors were often reversed or different colors used before the 2000 election.

Link.

So there's that.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I believe the colors are changed at the 2012 election of Obama versus Romney. I cannot find a single map from that election with the Democrat state of Illinois in red.

I had immense trouble finding the preceding graphics. Most of the maps you get with the big corporate search engines are "modern" and have the democrats in blue. The graphics from those years always have a popup window from the search engine saying that the material doesn't have an authentic certificate and may be malware. Loading the same page on an anonymous browser doesn't. bring those warnings.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

It's kinda of weird how all the media did it as seemingly the same time. I remember it at the time it happened and wondered why they switched them.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

The choice of colors reverses a long-standing convention of political colors whereby red symbols (such as the Red Flag or Red Star) are associated with left-wing politics, and right-wing movements often choose blue as a contrasting color.[5] Indeed, until the 1980s, Republicans were often represented by blue and Democrats by red. The current terminology of "red states" and "blue states" came into use in the United States presidential election of 2000 on an episode of the Today show on October 30, 2000. According to The Washington Post, the terms were coined by journalist Tim Russert, during his televised coverage of the 2000 presidential election.[6] That was not the first election during which the news media used colored maps to depict voter preferences in the various states, but it was the first time a standard color scheme took hold; the colors were often reversed or different colors used before the 2000 election.

Link.

So there's that.

Yet I found links to the original team colors up until 2008; two full presidential elections after that supposed change. And did Tim Russert command all media to make the change? did the parties have any comment. Just odd that one man hit the "click" on his mouse and reversed decades of graphic design... and why did rival networks supposedly follow suit...

Thanks for posting that btw, Loam. I'm not trying to pick on you; I honestly appreciate that link in trying to figure out how this seemingly universal change just happened without any other comment.
edit on 18-3-2018 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

link   
This is NOT evidence of the Mandela Effect at all. It's just a matter of the MSM changing the color they use. If the maps WERE ONCE Blue/Red and NOW the very same maps were Red/Blue and that's how you remembered them, then that would be another Mandela Effect. But this doesn't match the definition at all.

link   
This is ridiculous.

No one is slipping in other "realms" and experiencing a different reality based in a child's book, Nelson Mandelas death or the colour of political fronts.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It changed in the 2000 election when Busch beat Goar due to those hanging chuds.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

except that it supposedly changed across the board in the year 2000. But it didn't until at least 8-12 years later. To Russert's "admission". is at the wrong date, by a decade. Is there any other commentary for 2000, or 2012? Thats what I need to find.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Yesterday my shirt was green, but today it's gray.

Mandela Effect? Or maybe I just changed my shirt.

edit on 18/3/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm surprised people remember anything that happened before 2005. The collective attention span gets shorter every day. There were probably people who voted for Hillary who didn't know who Bill Clinton was.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It changed in the 2000 election when Busch beat Goar due to those hanging chuds.

this is accurate. they used to switch it back and forth but when that election took so long to be decided the colors kind of got set in people's minds and they stopped switching.

ETA: that's the trend for the major networks as they post election results, anyway. i can't speak to what every random-ass person coloring a map decides to do, but it doesn't prove any kind of anything if you find something with an off color scheme.
edit on 18-3-2018 by fiverx313 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Communist are red

Dems didn’t like the red color, having communist meanings. They whined and got blue, somethings don’t change

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Why is everything in this thread italicized, I’m freakin our man!

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
Why is everything in this thread italicized, I’m freakin our man!

Because the OP did not close his italics formatting properly, using a capital "I" instead of a lower-case "i".

edit on 18/3/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I'm Effected..

I don't remember the colors being different.

I hope there isn't a campaign to post false Mandela Effects to discredit it.

No offence to OP, who am I to say - it's just that I've seen a few by new posters that I'm not Effected by, so I'm suspicious I suppose.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

totally understood, pearj. This is all conjecture, which it is why it's here. I'm old, and voted in all the elections for which I posted maps.

So here's my "skunkworks" scenario.

Imagine an alternative history, in which the Democrats continued to use red and the Republicans used blue.

Then in the 2016 election, when Clinton's camp accused the republican candidate of colluding with the Russians...

If Hillary's color had been red, and it came out that she had transferred 20% of US uranium deposits to a russian owned company, the optics of Soviet-era red as a party campaign color would have been even more difficult. Bernie Sanders for his part had traveled to Moscow, and Nicaragua as well. When he was the mayor of Burlington he had a huge Soviet Flag on the wall behind his desk. With him "running for the red ribbon", it would have tarnished the whole party, and Hillary Clinton too.

So, are we living in a "B-team" timeline, where the controlling elites inhabit the better "A" timeline, in which their Progressive candidate is the victor, maybe even a Hillary who never suffered any strokes? And they switched out the sickly, aging Hillary to timeline B, where Trump wins in 2016 anyway? If they can cross between the two, they could use this timeline for spare parts and cheap labor....

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
U.S.A. Evidence of the Mandela Effect: once, Republicans were BLUE, Democrats RED.

Who cares.

I have Proof.

This proof can be found anywhere in the world.

It was 26 degrees Celsius here yesterday and today it was 24.

Mandela effect proven, what other phenomena can explain that?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
That has been bugging me since the past U.S. election. The colors of Democrats = blue, Republicans = red has become so overpowering that the colors have become synonymous with the respective political parties in American politics.

Originally, the colors were the opposite. I'll try to post evidence in this thread. here are a couple of graphics that date from the election depicted,[/I] showing republicans as blue and democrat-held states as red.

www.historycentral.com...

presidentelect.org...

uselectionatlas.org...

1992: Clinton wins (red)

It used to be: American's Blue; British Red (hence the 'redcoats').

top topics

<<   2 >>

join