It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IT'S RAINING DIAMONDS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I was reading an article somewhere that said that there were storms on Neptune and Uranus that send Diamonds hurtling torward the center of the planet's core. The diamonds can be merely dust, or as large as small homes... I find this fascinating because there would have to be an incredible amount of pressure and heat in the atmosphere in order to create these things. I've got some links If you'd like them.

posted on Jul, 1 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I read that too, a Discover Magazine if I remember correctly.

However it stated that it was only POSSIBLE to be raining diamonds, due to the pressures, but it like-wise stated that conditions on Neptune might still not be sufficient to actually form Diamonds...but that it's probable.

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
would there not also have to be large chunks, molecular large, not metric large, floating around in the upper atmosphere? i don't know how that could happen?

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Think of the money you could make!!! A Neptunian diamond is forever.
Phoenix I believe we have material floaitng around in our atmosphere all the time so I don't see why it can't happen on Neptune.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If I got a hold of one of those monster diamonds that are as big as houses... I'd be set for life... and so would my great-great-great-great-grandkids...

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I've got my backpack, I'm ready to go!

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
In the book 2010, Odyssey II, by Arthur C. Clarke, he explored the possibility that when Jupiter exploded it would release a huge asteroid sized diamond, formed during the compressive phase of the supernova.

Very interesting bit of writing.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Gazrok, I'm going with you buddy! hehe..now all we need is a ride? Anyone got a space cadillac? We be ridin' in style

-Mac

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I got greedy, I'm already half way there. Diamond's here I come.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
they've never said anything about drinkin and goin diamond huntin in deep space!

i'll bring the budweiser!!! we have to yell at the space people and tell them we're from Tennessee though, it'll keep ya safe.

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You all have fun in those high G environments. Don't develop a crush for them

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Actually, at the heart of Jupiter, the pressures are so great (300 million atmospheres) that there is "metallic hydrogen".

There's something that probably would be real profitable as well...but your gonna need one heck of a pressure vessel!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 06:05 PM
link   
www.rocketguy.com This guy can help ou get there. That'd be cool to have a house made out of diamond. I wonder if it could survive the nuclear halocaust... And you could make furniture and tableware out of the sutff you cut out of it, then sell what you don't need, woooo. That'd kinda suck if we were all killed by a diamond asteroid, though.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If we had diamonds for houses there would be no need to worry about house damages, nothing would really be hard enough to scratch it... it might get some scratches here and there but that's it. My ride is with Lone Star and Barf from SpaceBalls in their little Winnebego... or however you spell it. I just hope Black Helmet or Pizza the Hut doesn't come after me.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
my ride is the death star! i'll just blow the planet up and pick up the debris. easy enough.

a diamond asteroid lol, that'd make for a movie, i can see it now, armageddeon 2, the diamond, or some dumb stuff like that. anyway, happy huntin.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Actually they say that there are diamonds the size of skyscrapers inside of earth, although I don't remember the link to the website, it was very interesting.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 04:08 PM
link   
As big as ScyScrapers? You mean kinda like the diamonds in that Movie the CORE?

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Bigger, much bigger, and much more of them. But its all in theory, but hey, it makes sense though

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yeah it does. With all the pressure deep in the earth it's possible. Hopefully in the next few decades or so we can find out. I heard somewhere they are planning to send some kind of probe really deep into the earth.

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well, the drawback to this being true, is that for every "big chunk" of hydrocarbon that was converted to diamond...that's one "big pool" of hydrocarbon that won't be available for fuel...

unless we figure out how to use diamonds as a viable energy source...hmmmm.

new topics

top topics

join