It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would a black hole grow in size???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If the density is already infinite inside the eventhorizon then why would it get bigger in size by absorbing more matter? Also ive been reading about the bh in ngc 1277 that is the size of neptunes orbit and the mass of 17 billions suns and if a bh starts with the size of a city then how can it grow so much and why would it even grow if density is already infinite there is no reason to grow in size to accomodate more matter? Maybe i just dont get how bh work. Thx fir answering me
edit on 122018Sundayam331Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:18:37 -0500America/Chicagov18 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize Don’t be upset because you don’t know how they work. Not a single human does. I imagine that the exact answer you seek is beyond the event horizon. I think you would really enjoy Isaac Arthur YouTube videos. He is VERY smart and his videos are simply amazing. Please at least look him up on google then go from there.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize
Black holes are theoretical, but supported by evidence.

We have no clue how a black hole forms, we only have theories.

We can see evidence of black holes from cosmic observations., but cannot physically observe them, as the light from a black hole doesn't seem to make it out.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

This is pure speculation (my answer, not your post). Honestly, I think Physics takes you so far with what we know and if we're going with our current knowledge, I think we probably know about 20% of what's really happening and then that will probably turn out to be 0.1% in the grand scheme of things.

I think the best way to look at it, as an analogy is, we thought we knew how the world worked way back when we thought it was flat. It would be foolish to think we know how the universe works.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:18 AM
link   

My totally uneducated guess would be that the black hole is absorbing more matter (light, dust, planets, stars) than it can emit in the form of Hawking radiation. What goes in must come out, to use an old adage. Again, just a wild stab in the black hole...I mean dark.

ETA Hawking radiation
edit on 18/3/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Golantrevize
If the density is already infinite inside the eventhorizon then why would it get bigger in size by absorbing more matter? Also ive been reading about the bh in ngc 1277 that is the size of neptunes orbit and the mass of 17 billions suns and if a bh starts with the size of a city then how can it grow so much and why would it even grow if density is already infinite there is no reason to grow in size to accomodate more matter? Maybe i just dont get how bh work. Thx fir answering me

That is a great question.

With absolutely no proof I could only speculate that the singularity does not grow. The Field of matter around the singularity grows.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Imagine an ant colony comprending physics and chemistry.

Well that's my comparison. We pretend we know more then we actually do.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMadTitan

0.1% in the grand scheme of things.

I think you have have greatly overestimated the intelligence of mankind.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   

We know nothing about space. We as a species actually agree that we know more about the universe than our own subterranean oceanic planet.

That is simply put, we know a LOT more about our oceans than we do space, and getting to the bottom of our oceans is an issue. So is going to space.

Would really suck if a rock came along and said 'hey smart humans figure me out'. We can only do so much, and have to accept there are things we cannot control, so we can only go off current human knowledge.

We don't have alien knowledge yet, so we have to work with what we have,

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The more mass , the more gravity. The more gravity , the larger the event horizon becomes as the time/space fabric is warped.

For some posting on here
Not only does physics account for how a Black Hole (gravity well ) is created , they have proof of their existence.
Black Holes were even postulated to exist well before Einstein.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Probably grows on one side and shrinks on the other side.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Theoretical physics don't set sizes and standards either.

A giant black hole could suck a lot less than a supermassive one,

looking at the sky and seeing the milky way and it's gaseous clouds will give an individual a perspective.

We are so small on the cosmic scale, it's scary.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   

we cannot see the singularity it's self only the event horizon and the accretion disk.

as matter is spun at super high speeds it emits radiation from radio waves to gamma and beyond. the lensing of space is also how we can see a black hole.

after the event horizon physics as we understand it makes no sense. so i would guess the singularity stays the same size and can compress matter into an infinitely dense state,but the hole in space and time is ripped deeper so the singularity has a larger area of influence.
edit on 18-3-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Twas merely a guess, you are correct though, an overestimation of our species intelligence denotes a sense of arrogance, no? We think we are smart, tis a drop in the ocean. Curiosity besets me, what would you have us at, 0.00001%, I think, is still generous?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The more mass , the more gravity. The more gravity , the larger the event horizon becomes as the time/space fabric is warped.

For some posting on here
Not only does physics account for how a Black Hole (gravity well ) is created , they have proof of their existence.
Black Holes were even postulated to exist well before Einstein.

thx dont kniw how I did not think of something so simple

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The mass of the black hole is gained from the regular stuff it sucks in. Because of strong magnetic fields, some of the matter in the accretion disk may escape through jets of matter. Some may escape due to conversion into pure photon energy. But beyond the event horizon, it can't escape. Think of a black hole as water spiralling down a plug hole (researchers actually used that as a model for studying information theory). Once something is trapped in that steep funnel, there is no going back.

Could be that the black hole is actually a gateway to another universe. The larger the block hole, the greater the distance between the singularity and the event horizon. If a black hole were the size of our universe, then it would take billions of years to spiral into the singularity.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Ty gothnog beat you to it , makes sense now. The bh itself aint getting bigger by swallowing matter but its area of influence is, hence the eh getting wider and wider.
edit on 122018Sundayam331Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:48:22 -0500America/Chicagov48 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

edit on 122018Sundayam331Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:51:38 -0500America/Chicagov51 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMadTitan

Twas merely a guess, you are correct though, an overestimation of our species intelligence denotes a sense of arrogance, no? We think we are smart, tis a drop in the ocean. Curiosity besets me, what would you have us at, 0.00001%, I think, is still generous?

In perspective of life on earth?

We are an anomaly, something religion can explain easily, so long as you don't ask questions.

Water is a key factor, any planet that can sustain liquid water can sustain life.

Mars is a possibility, but we have to teraform it, and we do not have that tech available. At least publicly.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I read the density is not infinite inside a black hole and as you add matter, a black hole gets bigger and less dense. I believe part of the answer lies in the difference between the singularity and the event horizon of the black hole.
io9.gizmodo.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMadTitan

For all we know we could have started out knowing 100% but due to memory loss, disease, or what have you, we forgot all that and are now having to relearn what we forgot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join