It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we truly concerned for children?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
I just a matter of yrs we will all be cussin the new driverless cars and wishin for a return to the good ole days when you could speed in your car without your car mailing you a ticket for speeding.

This is true. But to those folks, I say cry me a freaking river. Once they get the bugs worked out of it, it'll kill less people than we do with our irresponsible driving. Even if they only implement it on highways it will save lives and in some instances probably save you time as well. If everything is linked together with sensors, it will know when there is congestion ahead and will start to adjust everyone's speed well ahead of time, instead of the way we do it now which is to wait til the last second to slow down and change lanes, causing the people behind you to have to brake hard and causing backups and stopped traffic on the interstates.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Absolutely agreed. The people in and around our neighborhood treat the streets like a raceway. Squealing tires, racing off from a stop at the corner, high speeds down the street, blowing through stop signs, and driving straight across the traffic circle instead of around it. We have 2 elementary schools and a K-12 Catholic school in our area and many small children playing outside. Doesn't stop the idiocy in the least.

Hell, being Canada, we also have gung-ho snowmobile riders racing up and down the alleys at all hours.

Yep. And guns are the main problem. /s

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow
Absolutely agreed. The people in and around our neighborhood treat the streets like a raceway. Squealing tires, racing off from a stop at the corner, high speeds down the street, blowing through stop signs, and driving straight across the traffic circle instead of around it. We have 2 elementary schools and a K-12 Catholic school in our area and many small children playing outside. Doesn't stop the idiocy in the least.

Hell, being Canada, we also have gung-ho snowmobile riders racing up and down the alleys at all hours.

Yep. And guns are the main problem. /s

Update
I did what was suggested here. I've spent the day checking and watching the local news outlets. I called a few of them. Only 1 new about it and said "there's was not enough information. Sorry". Someone else asked what this has to do with gun control. This may have been answered already I haven't read all the posting yet, but my answer is nothing. I'm sorry but if you don't see what it has to do with gun control, then nothing. I didn't post this as a pro or con to gun control. It's the say only this. If you truly care about the safety of children then speeding and running stop signs should be just as much of a problem, but I don't see people marching on Washington demanding something be done about it. I don't hear polititions talking about it. And there are things that can be done. For example in some countries you are required to pay for and pass a driving course to get a license. Then when you get to many tickets you have to do it again. Here you take a test that proves you can read. Some states do a short road test, others just parking. It's a joke. If I get a ticket I go to a traffic school for a few hours.

Do you watch Cops? I do and I'm shocked every time I see them stop someone with 30 tickets on their record (or something)

No one wants to make if more difficult the get or keep a driver's license, but OMG we have to ban guns to protect children. Even though bad drivers kill far more kids than guns.

Anyway that's my opinion. If you're going to stand up for child safety please don't speed on your way to the rally.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

originally posted by: MikeA
I just took my granddaughter home and rolled up on a mess. Two 10 or 12 year old boys were hit and killed by a hit and run driver. I stopped to help and found out that the driver blew through a stop sign and struck the kids in the crosswalk. I keep hearing about all this concern over guns, and yet I see people doing 50 and 60 mph through our neighborhood. Rolling through the 4 way stop at the corner. There's a school and a park on that corner. Please people the sigh says STOP meaning no longer moving AT ALL. And the speed limit in neighborhoods is 25 mph. If you break either of those LAWS you have no room to claim you care about the safety of children. This is the 8th time this year a child was killed by a driver speeding or running the stop sign. 12 kids in total in just this school district since January 1st. One of those was killed in the school crossing when the driver ignored the guy with the sign.

The guy will be cought because a witness got the plate number. Not one of those kids who died ended up on the news because no gun was used.

Eight people struck at that very cross walk and no cameras put in place? No giant speed bumps to force cars to slow down in order to deter fast driving? What are the penalties of those caught that violated the stop sign?

There are so many things that should have already been put in place to prevent these tragedies. This is horrible that precautions aren't being taken here. Sounds like NOTHING is being done.

To answer your question the neighborhood association went to the city and requested funds to help with this matter. It took 3 years to get it. When they did it was used to put in a walk path from the park on the corner 3/4 of a mile to a main road bus stop. It's not only stupid and worthless for this problem, no one uses it because it runs along a wash and is overgrown with weeds most of the time. It's like that because it takes forever to get the city to clear it, and the neighborhood association says it not our job. I am or was a member and was there for the vote. It was because of it that I walked out.

I've also asked this question of a lot of people. When 3 cars reach a 4 way stop at the same time, who has the right of way? It's amazing how many people don't know. (Just an example of poor driving skills)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

It is the "empowered" generation...
Legends in their own minds.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Agreed. I think the population is simply immune to the data. People get killed by cars and what's new?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Agreed. I think the population is simply immune to the data. People get killed by cars and what's new?

Just look at the lack of attention this thread is getting. Nobody cares because it doesn't advance a political agenda.

Some kids died.
Was a gun used?
Yes.
Raise holy hell!

Some kids died.
Was a gun used?
No.
Meh. Kids die all the time. Darwin.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

The stats will get higher and higher as long as City/Town planners keep building and planning for cars/transportation and not pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Simple as that.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

The stats will get higher and higher as long as City/Town planners keep building and planning for cars/transportation and not pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Simple as that.

I don't know about other Arizona city's but here in Tucson they have put bike lanes on most major roads. Some of the more popular bike traffic roads are done, and more are in the works. The big problem with those bike lanes is the people who use them. We have a 3 feet law here. Meaning you have to have 3 feet of distance between the car and bike when you pass them. The problem is that even though the lane is about 4 feet wide they ride ON the white line. The only legal way to pass is to change lanes.

For pedestrians we have sidewalks and crosswalks, the walk/don't walk signs at major crossings, as I'm sure most do. Trouble here is I've noticed adults stepping into the road without looking. This tells me that it's unlikely they are teaching their kids to look both ways. My feeling is that they are hung up on the "Pedestrians have the right of way" laws. A 2 ton car can not stop on a dime. People should still look before crossing a street.

All that being said there is no excuse for a person to be speeding or running stop signs in a neighborhood. And even fewer when passing a park or school. Both of my kids went to this school, and now my granddaughter is. I guess I can't help being a little one sided here. It's not always the drivers fault, but the rule is if you see a ball role into the street assume there is a child following it.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yes, yet a mere 3.2/100,000 being murdered is somehow a serious problem?

Of course morons like Shannon Watts & Co. are not capable of anything more logical. Their low IQ/rejection of logic comes with the anti-gun territory.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

That sounds right my friend

People die all day every day. Either get smarter, get better armed/armored or close public schools (just indoctrination anyhow). Nowhere is us giving up OUR rights and OUR safety even a possible solution.

No number of tragedies will ever change that for me.
They merely reinforce need for supreme firepower to stop the real deadly threats out there (crims/terrorists)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Or, we could adopt successful safety practices from countries that have 'zero vision', like Sweden.

Roads in Sweden are built with safety prioritised over speed or convenience. Low urban speed-limits, pedestrian zones and barriers that separate cars from bikes and oncoming traffic have helped. Building 1,500 kilometres (900 miles) of "2+1" roads—where each lane of traffic takes turns to use a middle lane for overtaking—is reckoned to have saved around 145 lives over the first decade of Vision Zero --Why Sweden has so few road deaths, The Economist Explains[3] (Feb 26th 2014)

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join