It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we truly concerned for children?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Edumakated
People are just really bad drivers and have very poor situational awareness. I take driving safely more serious than most as I also ride motorcycles. I can tell you that I think everyone should be forced to ride a motorcycle in big city rush hour traffic. It makes you hyper aware to how bad people drive. Drivers not using turn signals is a huge pet peeve of mine.

The other day was livid as we had a small snow storm which significantly cut visibility down. I lost count of the idiots driving around without their headlights on. You can barely see 200 yards out, all these people in grey and white cars driving around totally oblivious that no one can see them. It kills me because you'd think they'd be aware enough to notice they also can't see some cars, so it would make them think to turn their lights on.

A big part of the problem is that drivers are not only distracted but have also become increasingly impatient causing them to do things that can cause accidents.

The other frustrating thing is that cars are making distracted driving even easier with all these big screens in cars nowadays. I really think the feds should step in and force automakers to go back to analog dashes and get rid of the center console screens.

I am in complete agreement with all of this. The sad part is, in most cases, these people with all these dangerous driving maneuvers aren't really gaining themselves any appreciable time. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone blast past me on the highway, only to catch up to them in the next group of traffic or at a backup for an accident or something. Same thing in the city. That asshole who couldn't be bothered to do the speed limit or cut you off? Yeah, you're right on his bumper at the next light. It's just stupid. It's all risk, zero reward.

Another one that drives me up the wall... people not following signs, especially NO LEFT TURN signs because they are too frickin lazy to just find somewhere else to turn around. At several places in my town there are no left turn signs because quite frankly, trying to turn left crossing two lanes of on coming traffic can be dangerous. Without fail there is always some idiot who just decides to ignore the sign and make the left turn and almost always nearly causes an accident.

The thing that annoys me even more about this is that it should be obvious to Stevie Wonder trying to make a left at these points is a dumb idea and dangerous. You shouldn't even need a sign! If you are reasonably astute and paying attention, it should be clear as day that trying to turn left is stupid.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

A common retort of the gun control crowd is "but guns are designed to kill people".

The way most people drive- so are cars.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

If people cared as much as kids and their families as they claimed, then there would be no child abuse, child molestation, or spousal abuse either. All we can do is start with ourselves to make sure we're not contributing to the problem.
edit on 17-3-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I agree, it has nothing to do with the children, that's just to pull at the heart strings of the gullible but it still doesn't excuse using a tragedy to push one's political agenda. If it wasn't right to put those kids in front of the cameras then neither is this thread right for using the death of children to push the OP's agenda.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The guy will be cought because a witness got the plate number. Not one of those kids who died ended up on the news because no gun was used.

Where was this? I'll bet it was on the news.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
So sorry to hear about this - what a shocking thing for you and your granddaughter to see. I hope the find the creep and lock him away for a very very long time.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I'm going to be honest, I think this is a stupid comparison.

There are multiple bad things killing kids, you don't have to pick one and ignore the rest. For the record, I don't think gun bans are going to do anything. I would like to see school shootings go away though.

Traffic accidents involving children aren't part of the gun violence conversation.

I'm sorry this happened and that you all had to see it.

I'll never understand people that make a mistake but decide that it's somehow worth it to drive off and not offer aid.

edit on 1820180320181 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I am not the type of person that suggests that the government step in to help a situation, but on average 100 people die every single day due to automobile accidents. I have no idea if hit an run stats are added into that number or not, but still 100 people every day, for transportation. In 2010 nearly 2,000 children under age of 16 died from a car related accident. But on to my point, I used to transport handicapped people around for one of my jobs and I had to take a defensive driving course, which was all on the computer and it was nearly 4 hours long with tests. If that class and tests was mandatory for renewing licenses, I would bet that accidents/speeding/etc would be cut in half. However, there is one little tidbit that seems to come to mind. People who are driving alone, no kids in the car, not transporting anyone, seem to drive more erratically than those that are responsible for others. Example being, not using turn signals, driving too fast, weaving in between lanes in order to get the next red light faster...

And this fact as well, those people that drive while talking on the cellphone, that is the same if not worse than driving with a .08 intoxication level, they should be arrested with the same degree of punishment for doing so. It has been tested, same level of lack of concentration and slower reaction speed. I come across these idiots 20 times per day, holding a phone to their face while driving, they are usually worse than .08 level imho. Stiffer penalties on them would lower accidents as well. Not jail if they doon't hurt anyone, just take away their license for 6 months to teach them a lesson. Driving is supposedly a privilege and not a right. Take the bus if you want to talk on a phone while moving along.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

people die after choking on food - ban food

^ that is the end point of your ban cars " argument "

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
so we're comparing an accident or negligence to someone who goes out of their way, stockpile ammo, plans an entry, escape, and goes after specific targets;
we remove logic and common sense to compare apples to oranges for the sake of some internet argument, and technicalities.

maybe we should ban chest drawers from ikea too because they tip over and kill children once or twice. maybe we should ban the ocean as well, kids due from drowning, lets ban infections, lets ban families from living on top floors or apartments near elevators. lets ban trampolines, theres about 6 deaths per year...

the piss taking and circumnavigation to avoid a real issue with children's lives at stake, amazes me.

you're willing to compare negligence and accidents to say if they cared about kids then more would get banned? how can one reduce their iq just for partisanship.

i wonder, where else would the logic of the op apply..? heart diseases and high cholesterol takes away more lives than mass shootings per year, should we ban meats and high fatty foods...? why do people stoip this low to deny whats going on...

how many arrests were made on school grounds or weapons ceased from teenage kids since the shooting? go on search? where and why are these children getting these guns for?

i would rather eliminate a variable completely from certain unnecessary deaths of my kids. thats just me though... fuhck online mentalists...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
so we're comparing an accident or negligence to someone who goes out of their way, stockpile ammo, plans an entry, escape, and goes after specific targets;
we remove logic and common sense to compare apples to oranges for the sake of some internet argument, and technicalities.

maybe we should ban chest drawers from ikea too because they tip over and kill children once or twice. maybe we should ban the ocean as well, kids die from drowning, lets ban infections, lets ban families from living on top floors or apartments near elevators. lets ban trampolines, theres about 6 deaths per year...

the piss taking and circumnavigation to avoid a real issue with children's lives at stake, amazes me.

you're willing to compare negligence and accidents to say if they cared about kids then more would get banned? how can one reduce their iq just for partisanship.

i wonder, where else would the logic of the op apply..? heart diseases and high cholesterol takes away more lives than mass shootings per year, should we ban meats and high fatty foods...? why do people stoop this low to deny whats going on...

how many arrests were made on school grounds or weapons ceased from teenage kids since the shooting? go on search? where and why are these children getting these guns for?

i would rather eliminate a variable completely from certain unnecessary deaths of my kids. thats just me though... fuhck online mentalists...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I don't get it, did the guy have a gun in the car that was whispering in his ear to drive fast, we all know they cause all the evils.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

No, we are comparing what people say to their actions. If you care about children you don't drive 60 in school zones.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Guess what??

We heavily regulate the hell out of cars.. and we have a constant functuinal and fundamental need for cars. No one needs their gun everyday, but a car, like 85% of Americans need and use their cars daily.

We have seatbelt laws, speed limits, dui laws, eye tests, mandatory insurance, exc, exc, exc..

No one is “taking all the guns”..

There isn’t even an army willing to do it.

It is a non issue the gop has been using to get stupid people to vote for them for decades..

But Jesus Christ the “pro gun “ side will just use the worst and most illogical arguments ever..

It makes me wonder if the bad logic like “ guns dont kill people , people do”, “they would just use something else” and “more people die in cars.” Is intentional to help fabricate the conservative propaganda.

They use toddler logic and people will argue , which makes them feel like “look they do want my guns”.

Lol

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Cars are not a guaranteed right in the Constitution. Whether someone needs their gun every day is not up to you to decide. Do you also decide what days people need free speech?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

There are multiple bad things killing kids, you don't have to pick one and ignore the rest. For the record, I don't think gun bans are going to do anything. I would like to see school shootings go away though.

Except that's exactly what people do. They campaign and fundraise on guns killing kids and ignore all the other ways that kids die, many of which are more prevalent and by their nature actually easier to prevent. More lives could be saved by focusing on other things, but guns bring in the votes and money so that's where the focus is. That's sad. Die some other way? Meh, the parents must be fine with it. At least they didn't get killed by a gun.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: MikeA
I just took my granddaughter home and rolled up on a mess. Two 10 or 12 year old boys were hit and killed by a hit and run driver. I stopped to help and found out that the driver blew through a stop sign and struck the kids in the crosswalk. I keep hearing about all this concern over guns, and yet I see people doing 50 and 60 mph through our neighborhood. Rolling through the 4 way stop at the corner. There's a school and a park on that corner. Please people the sigh says STOP meaning no longer moving AT ALL. And the speed limit in neighborhoods is 25 mph. If you break either of those LAWS you have no room to claim you care about the safety of children. This is the 8th time this year a child was killed by a driver speeding or running the stop sign. 12 kids in total in just this school district since January 1st. One of those was killed in the school crossing when the driver ignored the guy with the sign.

The guy will be cought because a witness got the plate number. Not one of those kids who died ended up on the news because no gun was used.

Sadly, they are not concerned about our children. Our kids are currently being dressed up to be put on camera to promote an anti-second amendment agenda.

Did you know that children from some of the schools that had walkouts that did not participate are being suspended?

The left does not give a # about your kids, or they would not have placed them in gun-free zones.

Places where they themselves do not go to work in... they have guards.

Your children... not so much.

Because if they can just get a record amount of children killed, then they can finally get their agenda going at a quicker pace.

Like the Patriot Act for guns... the Oklahoma bombing didn't work... 9/11 sure did!!!!

My son protested the walkout by leaving the school for the entire day...basically skipped school. His reasoning was why sit there and waste hours of his time and be chastised for not participating in something he doesn’t agree with. I got onto him, but it’s really put some of us parents in a hard spot. How do I get upset with him? The school condoned skipping school only if you agreed with walkout, but not the other way around.
edit on 18-3-2018 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

originally posted by: Lumenari

I just took my granddaughter home and rolled up on a mess. Two 10 or 12 year old boys were hit and killed by a hit and run driver. I stopped to help and found out that the driver blew through a stop sign and struck the kids in the crosswalk. I keep hearing about all this concern over guns, and yet I see people doing 50 and 60 mph through our neighborhood. Rolling through the 4 way stop at the corner. There's a school and a park on that corner. Please people the sigh says STOP meaning no longer moving AT ALL. And the speed limit in neighborhoods is 25 mph. If you break either of those LAWS you have no room to claim you care about the safety of children. This is the 8th time this year a child was killed by a driver speeding or running the stop sign. 12 kids in total in just this school district since January 1st. One of those was killed in the school crossing when the driver ignored the guy with the sign.

Sadly, they are not concerned about our children. Our kids are currently being dressed up to be put on camera to promote an anti-second amendment agenda.

Did you know that children from some of the schools that had walkouts that did not participate are being suspended?

The left does not give a # about your kids, or they would not have placed them in gun-free zones.

Places where they themselves do not go to work in... they have guards.

Your children... not so much.

Because if they can just get a record amount of children killed, then they can finally get their agenda going at a quicker pace.

Like the Patriot Act for guns... the Oklahoma bombing didn't work... 9/11 sure did!!!!

My son protested the walkout by leaving the school for the entire day...basically skipped school. His reasoning was why sit there and waste hours of his time and be chastised for not participating in something he doesn’t agree with. I got onto him, but it’s really put some of us parents in a hard spot. How do I get upset with him? The school condoned skipping school only if you agreed with walkout, but not the other way around.

The way these schools actually supported this is borderline illegal. Public schools are taxpayer funded. They're not supposed to be advocating political positions, and especially not supposed to be forcing students to advocate for the political position of the staff and punishing kids who don't cooperate. That's Gestapo #. Not all the schools did this, but the ones that did should be held accountable.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Eight people struck at that very cross walk and no cameras put in place? No giant speed bumps to force cars to slow down in order to deter fast driving? What are the penalties of those caught that violated the stop sign?

There are so many things that should have already been put in place to prevent these tragedies. This is horrible that precautions aren't being taken here. Sounds like NOTHING is being done.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I just a matter of yrs we will all be cussin the new driverless cars and wishin for a return to the good ole days when you could speed in your car without your car mailing you a ticket for speeding.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join