It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we truly concerned for children?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I just took my granddaughter home and rolled up on a mess. Two 10 or 12 year old boys were hit and killed by a hit and run driver. I stopped to help and found out that the driver blew through a stop sign and struck the kids in the crosswalk. I keep hearing about all this concern over guns, and yet I see people doing 50 and 60 mph through our neighborhood. Rolling through the 4 way stop at the corner. There's a school and a park on that corner. Please people the sigh says STOP meaning no longer moving AT ALL. And the speed limit in neighborhoods is 25 mph. If you break either of those LAWS you have no room to claim you care about the safety of children. This is the 8th time this year a child was killed by a driver speeding or running the stop sign. 12 kids in total in just this school district since January 1st. One of those was killed in the school crossing when the driver ignored the guy with the sign.

The guy will be cought because a witness got the plate number. Not one of those kids who died ended up on the news because no gun was used.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MikeA

That must have been an awful experience, especially if your granddaughter witnessed any of it. I wonder how some people get licensed to drive- I have speculated that governments have little incentive to keep inexperienced, immature, and potentially dangerous drivers from getting behind the wheel. The money they collect from licensing fees and automotive related taxes is probably a lot more important to government agencies than the lives of those who might be injured or killed by drivers who really have no business being on the road.

From my own experience, turn signals have become optional for a large percentage of drivers, and I've lost count of the number of times I have been cut off and nearly run off the road by drivers who don't hesitate or even look to see if they are infringing on another car's space. Also, speeding IS rampant, turning/merging has become a roll of the dice because you never know if oncoming traffic is going to allow you enough time to complete your maneuver. I've had people speed up to intentionally prevent me from making a turn or change a lane... is it a game?
edit on 3172018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I say, give your granddaughter an extra hug tonight

Those stats show the fake news at their..unmm...best

I hope you write your local papers something similar to what you just wrote. Ask similar question regarding the local tv stations

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA
I just took my granddaughter home and rolled up on a mess. Two 10 or 12 year old boys were hit and killed by a hit and run driver. I stopped to help and found out that the driver blew through a stop sign and struck the kids in the crosswalk. I keep hearing about all this concern over guns, and yet I see people doing 50 and 60 mph through our neighborhood. Rolling through the 4 way stop at the corner. There's a school and a park on that corner. Please people the sigh says STOP meaning no longer moving AT ALL. And the speed limit in neighborhoods is 25 mph. If you break either of those LAWS you have no room to claim you care about the safety of children. This is the 8th time this year a child was killed by a driver speeding or running the stop sign. 12 kids in total in just this school district since January 1st. One of those was killed in the school crossing when the driver ignored the guy with the sign.

The guy will be cought because a witness got the plate number. Not one of those kids who died ended up on the news because no gun was used.

Sadly, they are not concerned about our children. Our kids are currently being dressed up to be put on camera to promote an anti-second amendment agenda.

Did you know that children from some of the schools that had walkouts that did not participate are being suspended?

The left does not give a # about your kids, or they would not have placed them in gun-free zones.

Places where they themselves do not go to work in... they have guards.

Your children... not so much.

Because if they can just get a record amount of children killed, then they can finally get their agenda going at a quicker pace.

Like the Patriot Act for guns... the Oklahoma bombing didn't work... 9/11 sure did!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MikeA

So sorry to hear about this. You are correct, of course. Driving in this country has become a joke. The worst part is no one thinks they're the problem. They all think they are good drivers so that justifies them speeding, tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic. I stayed with my parents for a few months last year while I was househunting, and they live in a similar-sounding neighborhood. Same thing, cars blasting up and down the street doing probably double the posted limit. Running stop signs. But yeah, guns are the problem? It's not just driving either. We have a general problem with lack of responsibility and good judgement.
edit on 17 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

From my own experience, turn signals have become optional for a large percentage of drivers, and I've lost count of the number of times I have been cut off and nearly run off the road by drivers who don't hesitate or even look to see if they are infringing on another car's space. Also, speeding IS rampant, turning/merging has become a roll of the dice because you never know if oncoming traffic is going to allow you enough time to complete your maneuver. I've had people speed up to intentionally prevent me from making a turn or change a lane... is it a game?

They all think they're Dale Earnhardt or Vin Diesel in one of the absurd number of Fast and Furious movies. Like I said part of the problem is they all think they're great drivers, so they feel like they're in control regardless of their dangerous driving. The guy who killed these kids is likely sitting at home right now rationalizing to himself how it somehow wasn't his fault. Through some immutable law of the universe that I can't begin to fathom the reason for, it seems like most of the time it's these scum who come away alive too. It's always the innocent people who had the misfortune of coming across them who die.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Man, that is just tragic and completely sobering. Absolutely true that many people do not think twice about speeding, following too closely, taking that extra time to make sure the road is clear, or inattention etc.

Sorry you had to see that and even sorrier for the parents of those two kids.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Typical...
The establishment will never point out what's really killing us all. Alcohol, pharmaceuticals, unhealthy food. Likewise we will never see a movement or people protesting against Pfizer or Coors that kills thousands monthly. But some lunatic used a gun to kill children. Ban all weapons!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
hope they do catch the guy, i just don't get people who end up hitting kids with their cars ,ive literally swerved through 2 yards to avoid a kiddo chasing a ball back in my teens,The parents weren't even mad i took out their fence as it was that or the kiddo.id plow into pretty much anything i could find to avoid hitting another human.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Agreed. When I see people speed by children waiting at crosswalks in school zones, I just assume they don't give a crap about the lives of children. Just like when I see somebody leave the bar a bit tipsy and hop in the car. I assume that person doesn't value the life of just about anybody.

But the notion that these tragedies should get the same coverage as violent crimes is something I'm not with you on. When a mass shooter starts shooting people, he wasn't committing any crimes until he opened fire. People who are blowing through stop signs and speeding through school zones are committing crimes, whether or not they injure or kill anybody.

In other words, there are already reasonable measures put in place to protect our children from cars. If it becomes epidemic like it sounds to be in your neighborhood, increasing police presence alone would likely solve it. Meaning it's already against the law to put those kids in danger like that. However, it's not against the law to buy a rifle built to kill humans and enter into a crowded area... no amount of cops could prevent that person from opening fire because it's not even against the law until he actually does it.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
That is horrible. I am sorry y'all had to wittiness this. If there has been that many children killed/ injured, I would petition or request a street hump/bump to be put in place.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
People are just really bad drivers and have very poor situational awareness. I take driving safely more serious than most as I also ride motorcycles. I can tell you that I think everyone should be forced to ride a motorcycle in big city rush hour traffic. It makes you hyper aware to how bad people drive. Drivers not using turn signals is a huge pet peeve of mine.

The other day was livid as we had a small snow storm which significantly cut visibility down. I lost count of the idiots driving around without their headlights on. You can barely see 200 yards out, all these people in grey and white cars driving around totally oblivious that no one can see them. It kills me because you'd think they'd be aware enough to notice they also can't see some cars, so it would make them think to turn their lights on.

A big part of the problem is that drivers are not only distracted but have also become increasingly impatient causing them to do things that can cause accidents.

The other frustrating thing is that cars are making distracted driving even easier with all these big screens in cars nowadays. I really think the feds should step in and force automakers to go back to analog dashes and get rid of the center console screens.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Prayers going out to the families and friends of all involved. I know some say that doesn't mean anything but it does to me.

This is part of my frustration. Folks cry rivers over kids getting shot at a school and it is tragic. However, so many people die every day like this hit and run but it never makes a blip on the radar.

Why?

IDK

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Agreed. When I see people speed by children waiting at crosswalks in school zones, I just assume they don't give a crap about the lives of children. Just like when I see somebody leave the bar a bit tipsy and hop in the car. I assume that person doesn't value the life of just about anybody.

But the notion that these tragedies should get the same coverage as violent crimes is something I'm not with you on. When a mass shooter starts shooting people, he wasn't committing any crimes until he opened fire. People who are blowing through stop signs and speeding through school zones are committing crimes, whether or not they injure or kill anybody.

In other words, there are already reasonable measures put in place to protect our children from cars. If it becomes epidemic like it sounds to be in your neighborhood, increasing police presence alone would likely solve it. Meaning it's already against the law to put those kids in danger like that. However, it's not against the law to buy a rifle built to kill humans and enter into a crowded area... no amount of cops could prevent that person from opening fire because it's not even against the law until he actually does it.

I'd say it's quite the epidemic. A common retort of the gun control crowd is "but guns are designed to kill people". So what does that say about the state of our society, when a machine that's not designed to kill somehow manages to kill more people every year than guns do, simply because we're so irresponsible with it? And if it's really about saving lives, wouldn't it be logical to start with the thing that kills the most people? Accidents are, by their very nature, mostly preventable. Most of them are due to negligence. A small percentage are caused by mechanical failure. There's no down side to a campaign to prevent auto accidents. Unfortunately, it doesn't rake in the votes and campaign donations so it's virtually a non-issue.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
one of my friend's daughter was hit by a drunk driver and then left to die...
it's a problem, but it would be a much worse problem if the lobbying group for alchohol was taking the same position as the gun lobby is and fought against every restriction the gov't wanted to try to keep the drunks off the roads.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

Why?

See the last part of my above post.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
one of my friend's daughter was hit by a drunk driver and then left to die...
it's a problem, but it would be a much worse problem if the lobbying group for alchohol was taking the same position as the gun lobby is and fought against every restriction the gov't wanted to try to keep the drunks off the roads.

Your comparison is lacking. The NRA advocates on behalf of law-abiding gun owners. They don't defend mass shooters, just like no alcohol company would defend a drunk driver. The equivalent comparison would be alcohol companies defending people who drink responsibly. They do, in fact, encourage responsible drinking in their ads. Likewise the NRA encourages responsible gun ownership. It's also the biggest gun safety organization in the country.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
People are just really bad drivers and have very poor situational awareness. I take driving safely more serious than most as I also ride motorcycles. I can tell you that I think everyone should be forced to ride a motorcycle in big city rush hour traffic. It makes you hyper aware to how bad people drive. Drivers not using turn signals is a huge pet peeve of mine.

The other day was livid as we had a small snow storm which significantly cut visibility down. I lost count of the idiots driving around without their headlights on. You can barely see 200 yards out, all these people in grey and white cars driving around totally oblivious that no one can see them. It kills me because you'd think they'd be aware enough to notice they also can't see some cars, so it would make them think to turn their lights on.

A big part of the problem is that drivers are not only distracted but have also become increasingly impatient causing them to do things that can cause accidents.

The other frustrating thing is that cars are making distracted driving even easier with all these big screens in cars nowadays. I really think the feds should step in and force automakers to go back to analog dashes and get rid of the center console screens.

I am in complete agreement with all of this. The sad part is, in most cases, these people with all these dangerous driving maneuvers aren't really gaining themselves any appreciable time. I can't tell you how many times I've had someone blast past me on the highway, only to catch up to them in the next group of traffic or at a backup for an accident or something. Same thing in the city. That asshole who couldn't be bothered to do the speed limit or cut you off? Yeah, you're right on his bumper at the next light. It's just stupid. It's all risk, zero reward.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
What does this have to do with gun control exactly? How do you know the driver wasn't carrying a gun with a permit when they ran those kids over? How do you know they're not pro-second amendment?

Pretty sad that we are using the death of children as a soapbox for our political agenda these days. I didn't like it when those kids were paraded in front the cameras a few weeks ago and I don't like it now, it's tacky and is using death as a means to an end.
edit on 3/17/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
What does this have to do with gun control exactly? How do you know the driver wasn't carrying a gun with a permit when they ran those kids over? How do you know they're not pro-second amendment?

Pretty sad that we are using the death of children as a soapbox for our political agenda these days. I didn't like it when those kids were paraded in front the cameras a few weeks ago and I don't like it now, it's tacky and is using death as a means to an end.

Far more kids die from car accidents than guns... if it was really about "the children", we'd be banning cars.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join