It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: will we create robots to live OR to serve???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
please answer with a clear to live or to serve and why...

i will say to serve because i am hearing a lot of talk of robot soldiers and we currently have robots doing our work now...

enjoy this poll...

[edit on 16-2-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I say to serve since even the word itself robot comes from the Czechoslovakian word robota. Robota means slave labor.

But I think this will only be OK until true self aware A.I is created. Then they go beyond robots and become a true lifeform. But only some types of robots will ever need to be made like this for example a robot that cleans your floor will not need to be self aware.

So really I guess they will be both created to live and to serve. They will come in a near endless number of forms.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm going to have to say both. At first we will create robots to do menial labor (clean, move things around, etc.). But eventually when (or if) robots ever have AI programs "implanted" in them, they will exist to live just like we do. They will use other, non-sentient robots as tools just like organic humans.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Both.

Although they could be improved, we've got bots to live. Bots to serve are coming up fast. The two will advance together, there is a lot of overlap.

NOTE: Using a robot to make you live is serving you...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I agree with those who say to serve

Robots and machines are meant to serve and to assist. When we do develop AI I feel humans will not have changed all that much and we will treat them much like we do our own if not worse.

Though I do have a little hope for humanity from a couple of the posts in other related threads.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
To live Why are we constantly searching the skies for some sign that there is intelligent life out there?? Because we are lonely. As soon as we can make another form of intelligent life Im pretty sure we would do it and want to interact with them.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
if we live to see it, then yes and it will be to serve , why? isn't it obvious

new topics

top topics

join