It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Travel Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I was doing some thinking about Mandela effect and time travel.

We all know that Mandela Effect is about rememebering things that were not there to begin with. Of course we can't really tell because it is a possibility that when there is a change in time, our memmories will change too, so we will remmber things differently as if they were always like that. It is quiet certain then that even if some people can feel it through time and space, most will just say it is not true because it has always been like that.

In any case i was thinking about that and came up with a question: What exactly happens if you travel back in time?

I found by myself 3 absolute answers.

But since i have never time traveled i can't know which one is the correct one...

So here is the experiment that leads to the answers:

In the future in a remote lab, there are only 2 people. They are scientists that research time travel. After years they finnaly crack it. You are one of those scientists.

One day you decide do the following:

You tell one of your coworkers to pour hot coffee on you the next day if he does not talk with you that day, or to say Hello if he does speak with you.

Without telling him you already know that if he pours that hot coffee on you, you will go back in time and talk with him. If he says Hello, you will not do it. (This also covers the Theory of the first: Any time loop has a beggining but no definite end.)

The plan is simple: He pours coffee on you, you time travel back in before the coffee incident, meet with the future version of yourself, talk with your co - worker (And since you are scared that maybe there is such thing as time erasure) and tell him to pour his coffee on you anyway then travel back and meet your past self before returning to the present.

The next day comes and your co-worker pours his hot coffee on you. You travel back in time you, don't meet your future self because he is not present and then you talk with your co-worker.

So, here is the deal:

Before you talk with your co-worker the timeline is the same. The second you talk with your co-worker the timeline changes. This means there is no way to meet your future self before you do the acton of meeting your co-worker.

Which one of those 3 effect is in action?

1: By going back in time you create a parallel universe in which your future self haven't traveled back in time. By showing up and talking with your co-worker you have started a time-loop and every other you will create a new parallel universe every time he travels back in time. This means you will meet your past self if you time travel acording to the plan because this will be a 3rd parallel unvierse created from you time traveling for the third time, and every next parallel universe is created from the previous one you have been.

2. The timeline changes only if you talk with your co-worker first. The moment you do, you create a new parallel world and a paradox issues. Your past self from the new timeline should talk with your co-worker and not you. The moment you talk with him either a second version of you appears right next to you as if he was talking already before you talked with your co-worker or a paradox issues and you are imediately destroyed as if you never existed this rendering only one timeline active : The one where your other self meets your co-worker and talks with him. Basically you are replaced because you are from obsolete timeline. But in this one, your past self talks with its future self instead.

3: The timeline changes in such a way to fit. You suddenly remmember meeting your future self and talking with him. You remmember everything. Everything fixes itself in such a way as if always has been like that.

This through experiment is only if timetravel was possible.

It may or may not have any help in deciphering the mandella effect.

Please do not add things and just use the experiment presented.
edit on 17-3-2018 by ZeroFurrbone because: Fixing some errors

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

Everybody travels through time. If you didn't move forward in time, then you would no longer exist before or after the moment you existed.

So there's this theory floating around, and it's been getting steam in the world of physics, it's called "Quantum Cavitation". In a nut shell, "Quantum Cavitation" (or "QC" ) might occur when two sets of reality collapse together crushing a middle reality through a process called "vacuum Collapse". End results is a new reality created from the two outer realities, but the cavitation bubbles of the middle reality still can exist as pockets of reality floating around freely in the new reality. Now here's the brain scratcher (i.e. the so-called "Mandela Effect") the pockets of "QC" would have a different set of physics, and could interact with the new reality without affecting objects in the new reality. We may have had a vacuum collapse without knowing it even happened, since we would never have known that anything happened, but the bubbles of "QC" could be floating in and out of us and the only thing that we would have as proof (currently) is these flawed memories, paranormal activities, and weird things of the unexplainable (ie Skin Walker Ranch type places).

This being said, Times arrow only flows in one direction. This has to do with the entropy of time. In other words: If something hasn't happened yet (i.e. the future) then there are a very large number of ways for event in that something to happen. On the other hand if something has already happened, then there is only one way for it to occur, the way that it happened. If a person traveled backwards against the arrow of time, then it would be more correct to say that a person created a parallel dimension and traveled to it. So the idea of creating a paradox would be impossible, and it would also mean that the concept of a real "Mandela Effect" would also be impossible to happen since you would not be able to affect the timeline you currently are in.

So if you are thinking that you have been affected by the "Mandela Effect", then you should write down everything that you feel is incorrect since it could be evidence of a "QC" bubble floating through you at that given time.

edit on 17-3-2018 by Guyfriday because: Cleaned up post a little

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

4. All possible realities are happening at once. Infinite you, infinite earth, infinite actions being taken. You don't create another reality , you simply move to another existing one. There is no time line.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

a reply to: ZeroFurrbone Please do not add things and just use the experiment presented.

Fine, then the first example would be the best example of what would be in play, but if you are creating a parallel dimension, then you are not traveling through time.

As for the second, well if you created a parallel dimension that a paradox would not exists since the events took place in different places using different set of players.

In the third example nothing would have changed since if you suddenly remembered that an event took place, then the event took place, and if you have evidence of the event taking place then it occurred in your timeline with you. Though in the third example if you remembered meeting yourself, then you should be more aware that the version of you that you met is from a parallel dimension and that them being there won't affect your future.

***EDITED PART BELOW***

I'm going to leave my prior post up, since it explains why the "Mandela Effect" could happen in a real world stance, rather then a vague idea of what is happening.
edit on 17-3-2018 by Guyfriday because: added info

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This.it's like the anime steins:Gate I imagine.
Who can say at this point.
a reply to: scraedtosleep

edit on 17-3-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Time travel is not computable. That's why it's fuzzy when you think about it. None of these actions will ever happen so it's not worth thinking about. Humans are bound by time. We can not be outside of time or control time.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm a direct (victim?) of the Mandela Effect. Here's what I have experienced:
In my timeline as I remember it: Challenger blew up in 1984. I was in Junior High. I remember my science teacher. I remember his name, what he looked like, and his completely out of character reaction to the event. I was sitting next to the door, doing something random on a piece of paper, when he threw the door open, rushed by, grabbed the AV cart from the back half of the room, nearly crashed it, shoved the plug in the wall socket at top of the door level, and we watched the news. Junior High was full of "head and shoulders" jokes. I helped build a statue of our school mascot, design tshirts (that they are still selling- no profits for me.
), high school was uneventful, I nearly flunked driver's ed, stuff like that. Went to another high school, did some foster parent shuffling, etc.

Having Challenger blow up in 1986 takes all of these events, and blows them straight to hell. I also lose 2 years I simply cannot account for. I also cannot figure out if I lost 2 years, or 2 years was added, and cannot remember them. I was born in 1970, and I found I could remember everything in nice, 10 year chunks. I now have either an 8 year chunk, or a 12 year chunk, because the date of Challenger DOES NOT FIT INTO WHAT I REMEMBER. It's like sticking 10 lbs of potatoes into a 8 lb sack. It ain't happening, it's not making a bit of sense, and after trying to wrap my head around this information (I found out last year about the actual date), I am left with a confusing mental block that almost feels like a physical thing in my mind. Every time I sit down and try to untangle it, (hell, even trying to explain it) it gives me a headache.

Here's what I've patched together. Kinda.
If Challenger blew up in 1986, It'd HAVE to have happened in high school. Different building, location, everything. It'd have to have been during early morning classes, none of which was science. I think math, history, lunch, and some shop, before the idiot parents took me out of it- driver's ed, science (such as it was), etc. Mid to late part of the year, the mess where I ended up in foster care, etc etc etc. It's like I was getting 2 years per yer. But, owing to the shuttle blowing up in 84, my getting to high school fall of 85- then almost failing driver's ed, foster care, etc, not a lick of it can all be crammed in the couple years.

It's caused me an anomaly of epic and freakish proportions, and I truly cannot even begin to make sense of it.
edit on 17-3-2018 by wylekat because: minor corrections to wording

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

So if you are thinking that you have been affected by the "Mandela Effect", then you should write down everything that you feel is incorrect since it could be evidence of a "QC" bubble floating through you at that given time.

See my post. It's damn confusing, and it's (the post) damn confusing.
edit on 17-3-2018 by wylekat because: Extra words

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

If a distorted reality passed though the area you were in at the time, you may have had two experiences of the Challenger Disaster occurring. The question would be if others around you in 84 and/or 86 remember this even too.

Since we don't know what happened in this other reality, we could piece parts together from tid-bits that others might remember. On the other hand we don't really know how many realities are "QC" in the reality we're in (if the theory of "QC" is correct)

edit on 17-3-2018 by Guyfriday because: added info

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

You'd have a big problem if you did go back in time.
You might not know this, but the earth is actually moving through interstellar space at quite a rate.
So you'd end up in the middle of nowhere

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I noticed several changes especially immediately after I was in the middle of a large electrical freak storm one night in Greenville SC. However I remember the space shuttle blowing up around 1986 when I was in college, not 1984. There were other changes I noticed but decided not to investigate because if I prove to myself that I might really have memories from a parallel universe, the question of how I got here could mean I suddenly died there.
I'm aware a lot of people who never experienced anything weird likely think our memories are messed up.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter There were other changes I noticed but decided not to investigate because if I prove to myself that I might really have memories from a parallel universe, the question of how I got here could mean I suddenly died there.

Not necessarily, if "QC" is correct, then the memories you might have could be due to the brain waves signal from another you from another reality just got temporarily crossed with the brain waves you have now. Think of it as extra-dimensional cross pollination of thoughts. You could have also just had a situation where a "QC" bubble crossed through you, and you have memories from that reality. In either case you wouldn't have died in any dimension just because you remember memories from another you (unless the memories are of you dying, then yes of course that changes thing)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Got to admit this auld girl had not come across Quantum Cavitation up to now but as for the Mandala Effect it certainly ( for unintelligent me) it certainly could be the answer.

I have so many memories that seem different from most that when I read about someone else remembering as I do, I want to hug them and say I am so happy I am not the only one.

I sadly cannot be sure of when the Challenger Disaster happened ( although before its date was debated I would have said 1984 but cannot back it up as sadly from 1982 until 1988 I did not keep diaries/journaling - had a personal tragedy that knocked me off writing them for that long so only have spasmodic records from that time.

As to Time Travel - I do often think surely it would not only be time we would have to travel but space also as if we did just move along a 'timeline' either forward or back then unless space and time and locked always together - one cannot be without the other, then if you went back just in time you would find yourself in maybe the openness of space or standing on an asteroid whatever happened to be in that space at that time in your past. That would make time travel very one dimensional and I cannot somehow believe we could ever only move in one dimension so if we ever could travel in time then we could go back to a past that might be ours or might be that of a parallel universe ( that I am not so sure of) as I feel it would be dependant on what date and time we chose to return to as so many choices would have been made by us since that point in time.

Off to investigate QC

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

It would need to be a parallel universe. Even a second in the past would forever alter it to the extent that in several generations every single person would be different.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

You cannot travel "back" in time. Time is linear. It can slow due to certain influences , but actually not even stop .
If you could , any change that was made would merely split off another universe . Thus another reality in which the event changed had already happened.
I.E. you cold not create a paradox.
I like Sci-Fi too , but most times it is in direct conflict with the realities of physics.

top topics

join