It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma! I got Shingles

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaderMy oldest kiddo had it in high school. Very painful and itchy which made her miserable. After a course of drugs she was fine. Hasn't come back thank goodness.

I always wondered if I would get it at some point. I had the most painful and lingering case of chicken pox when I was 16. No idea how I avoided getting it for so long. Man was it ever awful. Even had the sores on my gums.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Every single time I laughed at somebody's misery.

The exact or similar thing happened to me.

Now, that is a Conspiracy worth investigating.

I never laugh at anyone's pain or misfortune.

I wish I would have learned this when I was young.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
These supplements are pretty cheap, I get them and take them occasionally when I feel a bug coming on. I can't drink much milk, I actually have an allergy to it. Monolaurin. Here is a webMD article about it. It does seem to help with other things, but it is not a miracle cure. If you make enough lipase, all you have to do is have a little coconut oil because monolaurin is the monoglyceride of lauric acid. That happens when an enzyme we make converts the lauric acid.

www.webmd.com...

I have no side effects with monolaurin at all and do tolerate the coconut oil too, but I don't care to eat coconut oil every day.

Read the comments from people on the site above. Most of them have had good results. I read a lot of evidence on this and have tried it, but if you don't have a problem with any viruses, what is it supposed to do? Now, I could have fended something off without knowing, I will never know. I do take it once in a while yet, sometimes for three days in a row if I feel something coming on and it does go away, whether it is getting rid of the problem I do not know, but I feel it may be....it is cheap anyway.
edit on 17-3-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Dude, I think we are both cut from the same cloth.
Thanks for the sympathy even if it is sarcastic.
I will take any kind I can get. 😉

I still want to break the jerk world record though!

Majic Man!

I wish I could upload a picture of Majic Man from Adventure Time.

But for some reason I can’t do it from my phone.

Laughter IS the best medicine.

That show is hilarious

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Alright. I must have kicked puppies around in a past life because it has spread to the side of my face and tongue since I started this thread.

I know I’m being blasé about this whole thing, but it’s the only way I can make myself feel better.

Plus all of your suggestions and sympathy are greatly appreciated.

BTW- I foster abused dogs and homeless cats. End up keeping them all. The kicking puppies around crack was bad sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I had shingles a couple of times; both times I was in close physical proximity to someone else who had it. I asked my doctor if it was contagious and she said the short answer is "no", but she said she has noticed in her practice that shingles comes in waves (indicating that people catch it from other people who have it). The more stressed out you are when exposed, the worse your case is (from my experience). As far as pain, it wasn't that bad in my case, as long as I didn't touch it. I think people with shingles should try to stay home from work while they have it if possible.

Sal

a reply to: Spader

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

i was in Jamaica with my wife when my back started hurting, it was not on my spine but on the right side in the middle. It felt like someone was sticking hot needles into a bruise. It did turn red with small bumps. I had two areas, one the size of silver dollar, the other a quarter. two weeks later i went to the doctor and sure enough, shingles. my wife laughed and called me the Shingler.

Anyway, it lasted only 6 weeks and now it’s totally gone. the pain subsides weekly. after a month i had no pain. good luck with it. Hope yours is gone in the same amount of time.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Absolute agony.

Not saying in your case, but often the first sign of HIV-sickness.
Strange, never had that one, but my mom (no HIV) had it.
One day she said, don't wanna ask, but is there a metal spike in my bra poking into my back?
Nope nothing wrong with the bra - you got shingles.
And that was just the start of the agony.

And although it subsides in healthy people, the virus stays dormant.
Can break out any time again.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Be aware that getting the shingles vaccine doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t develop shingles. My wife had the vaccine and still got shingles, albeit not very severe - she said that it felt like a sunburn that itched.

One thing I’ve heard is that if you take it easy (if possible) and not power through it with your usual busy schedule/routine, it will tend to be less severe. Easier said than done of course.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

just think about how lucky to be if you get shingles on your gooch.

hell yeah

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Oh shingle balls, oh shingle balls
you made me feel quite strange.

Oh painful wiener, oh painful wiener,
Perhaps I do need that sex change.

edit on 17-3-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

As John Lennon sung "Instant Karma". I am so sorry....

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Ah, Shingles. Lovely door prize from Chicken Pox, and the vaccine. A friend of mine had a nasty first episode of it back in December, made her Christmas just wonderful. She's my age (30's) and fully vaccinated.
Imagine the butthurt that came about finding out the childhood vaccine & adult booster doesn't actually prevent Shingles, only supposedly "drastically reduces" the odds. Supposedly, this is a "rare" side effect to go on to develop it, but I've run across an awful lot of older folks who did get vaccinated at one point or another, and still developed Shingles, my mother's late ex-boyfriend & numerous friends (theirs & mine) being others I've known.

I've had chicken pox, I figure I'll end up with Shingles at some point or another like so many have. Not much you can do about it other than deal, I suppose. Not trying to be flippant, I know it's painful, but what else can you do?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Sucks to have shingles.....my husband has had it.
Pain was intense....and it can affect many parts of the body, not just the back.
And usually only on one side.
www.nhs.uk...-shingles

There are alternative methods to help.
www.holistic-online.com...
If you supplement with Lysine....which helped immensely....be sure to avoid foods with arginine....IOW avoid chocolate, nuts and coffee.
Lysine 500 mg 3x aday, without food....so in between meals.

Also doses of Vitamin C.....start gradually and work to 2000mg three times a day.
Vitamin B-complex 50mg three times a day.

www.thetruthaboutshingles.com...

Once you get shingles, you CAN get it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW....vaccine is something I would not do.....my pharmacist says it is not very effective.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Nothing much left that you can do...possibly for the next few months. Have to let shingles run it's course.
Absolutely nothing any "wise old person" suggested to try , nothing worked for the wife.
Go to a drug store and let the pharmacist recommend something .
Good Luck

And , "he who laughs last , laughs best"

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

shoot I would have sworn I posted in here about when I had shingles but there is no post...If anyone sees my shingles post in another thread let me know..,,not sure how that could be because I didn't just post I quoted somebody.....I did check a couple of other threads I was in tonight....anybody have this happen...I even remember what I posted

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I never met a person with shingles and never had the chance to laugh at them, but I had shingles 10 years ago, I was only 20 years old. It looked like someone with a fistful of herpes punched me in the shoulder blade.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Despite what the 'conspiracy theorists' say, go to your doc or pharmacy and get the vaccine. Even if you already have it, studies show it reduces the frequency, and makes flare-ups less severe.

I don't have it, but I did have the vaccine at my pharmacy. Didn't cost me a cent, and had no side-effects. Seeing a friend's mother with it was enough for me to know I never, ever, wanted it. Her's was the 'classic' breakout. Around the waist. It was awful.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

While I can see the vax POV, I think members should do their own research.
Not only will YMMV.....but not all medical people agree on the efficacy of the vaccine.

A fairly unbiased report
www.health.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: angeldoll

While I can see the vax POV, I think members should do their own research.
Not only will YMMV.....but not all medical people agree on the efficacy of the vaccine.

A fairly unbiased report
www.health.harvard.edu...

Avoiding proven vaccines only does harm to the person.

Listen to doctor's and pharmacists. I read a great deal about it before I had it. It was mostly BS, as is the theories about the flu vaccine and vaccines for children.

Listen to doctors. I understand you don't like them, and surely there are those who will react to any type of medication or vaccine. But the vast majority are helped by them. Don't knock it til you try it. Or not.

OP: I don't think you should get the vaccine while having an episode. You will have to wait until it abates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join