It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma! I got Shingles

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Jeez Louise. Last month a buddy of mine got the shingles and I laughed and laughed because I’m a jerk.

A couple of days ago my back was hurting. I mean right on the spine.

I had the wife look at it and she saw nothing.

This morning I was awoken with a pain like someone had a hot poker stuck right in the middle of my back.

I had the wife check again.

Big ass rash with pimple like things all across my back.

Went to the hospital and was seen remarkabley fast and was diagnosed with shingles.

Be careful when you laugh at someone else’s misfortune. Even if it’s in jest.

Am on an anti-viral for 5 days and understand that I’m in for MONTHS of fun.

I would like to hear some stories from my friends here about their adventures with shingles and let me know what I’m in store for.

If I throw any more of my friends under the bus I’m going to break the jerk world record. HA!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Get yourself some Bergamot Essential Oil. Dilute it down 5 drops per 20ml and apply 2-3 times a day. Will kill the bugger, kill the pain and lift your spirits, because another thing with shingles it can make you depressed. Just do this for 4-5 days, but please don't go out in bright direct sunshine or go on a sunbed as the Bergamot will react.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well, my shingles lasted about 3 weeks and most of the time it felt as if someone was jamming a broomstick handle into my back, then when the pain got even worse was when that same broom stick was jammed even harder in little bursts of pain that made me cry like a little girl, i'm not a little girl, I am am 57 year old construction worker who has dealt with many pain issues in my life...............................

This was the worst pain I have ever felt..

they say it's nerve pain and that is why any pain meds you might get don't really help much...
The good news...... well, it could last for months but luckily for the people around me it only lasted 3 weeks.......

Good luck!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Had it myself a few years ago in a ring round my stomach, wasn’t too bad a few co-codamol for the pain and cracked on with it, didn’t take any time off or anything (probably should have as it is potentially contagious). It doesn’t spread beyond what appears in the first few days.

It really wasn’t too bad, in the UK you don’t get the anti-viral unless it’s on your head - it can spread to your eyes and that’s nasty. Friend of mine had neuralgia as a result and was ill for some time.

You’ll be alreet - take a week or two and get a nice bottle of something nice to take the edge off.

Bob

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spader
Jeez Louise. Last month a buddy of mine got the shingles and I laughed and laughed because I’m a jerk.

This morning I was awoken with a pain like someone had a hot poker stuck right in the middle of my back.

Went to the hospital and was seen remarkabley fast and was diagnosed with shingles.

I would like to hear some stories from my friends here about their adventures with shingles and let me know what I’m in store for.

If I throw any more of my friends under the bus I’m going to break the jerk world record. HA!

Mostly, if anyone's ever had xxxxxxx *(corrected-CHICKEN POX), they are prone to the disease. There is a vaccination for that, which Ive had last year having had xxxxxxx *(corrected-CHICKEN POX) in grade school.

P.S. I term it more a a"syndrome" ie: repeating...than a disease. But you have flare-ups forever, but can be controlled

MS
EMT
edit on 17-3-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2018 by mysterioustranger because: correction provided by member

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Jeezus, what a scary 'disease'. Drops hot poker, runs for the nearest exit.

Shingles google search

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Mostly, if anyone's ever had measles, they are prone to the disease. There is a vaccination for that, which Ive had last year having had measles in grade school.

Chicken pox, not measles.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I get some stuff like shingles when I eat a lot of tomatoes or oranges. I love both but I learned over forty years ago that my wants can negatively effect me. I can usually eat one meal a week or a couple of oranges without problems, but can't do it too often. The thing is that shingles can actually be triggered to express itself and maybe my condition is related to shingles. The chemistry of a tomato can cause a lot of interactions with microbes, pissing them off sometimnes.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Had it in January this year. In my butt crack!!! The meds stopped it in its tracks the very first day. The worst part was the throbbing pains in my lower back and all through my legs. The nerve pain was far worse than the itching. Then, I developed an ulcer when it was supposed to be healing. It’s all gone now, just dark spots on the skin. It took about 7 weeks to completely heal. They say stress is the most common culprit.

I didn’t know it causes depression. Glad to hear this, as I did get depressed and couldn’t explain it. Shingles suck!!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Spader

I feel ya, OP. I had the worst case of zoster/ shingles imaginable. I got it while I was having cancer treatments.

The worst pain I ever felt and ever will. My back is pretty leathery and rough from all the blistering.

Is it contagious like chicken pox? I can't remember. Anyways hang in there

edit on 17-3-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I know someone who got shingles 2wice in a half year. I heard it's painful. Not karma though. Maybe your body knew it was gonna happen to you, it felt it was already slowly forming, so your phycology made you laugh in defence, laughter is a common defence to fear in human nature (especially when not consciously aware of your pheromones). Their is a reasonable explanation outside of karma, cause what is karma frankly? Chemicals, elements, matter pretty much in the flow of things. Karma is likened to prayer, chemicals go through the galaxy or just earth & adapt or evolutionize our bodies or mind to convert to more probable survivability or well being. Sorry this happened though, sounds like it sucks.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Had it in January this year. In my butt crack!!! The meds stopped it in its tracks the very first day. The worst part was the throbbing pains in my lower back and all through my legs. The nerve pain was far worse than the itching. Then, I developed an ulcer when it was supposed to be healing. It’s all gone now, just dark spots on the skin. It took about 7 weeks to completely heal. They say stress is the most common culprit.

I didn’t know it causes depression. Glad to hear this, as I did get depressed and couldn’t explain it. Shingles suck!!

I’ll bet the exam was hilarious. (Sorry, as I stated in my OP, I’m a jerk) Ha!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You can’t catch shingles from somebody with shingles - you can catch chickenpox if you’ve never had it.

Equally exposure to someone with chickenpox may trigger a shingles outbreak.

It’s one of those viruses that lives in your nervous system and can trigger repeatedly - particularly if you’re stressed

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Mostly, if anyone's ever had xxxxxxx *(corrected-CHICKEN POX), they are prone to the disease. There is a vaccination for that, which Ive had last year having had xxxxxxx *(corrected-CHICKEN POX) in grade school.

Chicken pox, not measles.

Standing corrected...no coffee. Original comment now corrected. Thank you. MS

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Totally feel for ya!
I had an outbreak a few months ago. I truly did not know what the heck was going on at first and I had an odd sharp/tingling pain in my back sort of below my kidney. I thought I had pulled a muscle at work or something and then one morning there were the blisters. I had three fairly good sized patches, the one on my back, one had my pelvis bone. Couldn't wear a tool pouch and a belt was out of the question, loose joggers and soft blue jeans were all I could stand during the day or at my regular work a skirt or a dress and never dress pants.
Anyway, I was given an anti viral and an anti inflammatory. The anti viral medication made me sick as ever so I stopped taking after about 3 or 4 days.
I guess it must have taken about a month and a half to completely heal and has left it's mark as 3 patches of purplish scars. They resemble a bruise I suppose.

Good luck and speed in healing, shingles sucked. Not the worst pain that I've ever felt but certainly one of the most annoying and uncomfortable for a length of time.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Hilariously embarrassing! Thankfully it was a male doc. Then again, his young female assistant came in to take notes... after that, they talked about it in the waiting room in front of all the waiting patients. I’m just happy it didn’t get as bad as some of the pics I saw online. If you want to scare yourself, check out those pics. Truly disgusting!

I find when I’m embarrassed about something, the more I talk about it — the less I care. That’s why I shared here. I had shingles in my ass crack HAHAHA! I’ve been embarrassed enough in my life to give a sh#t about this!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO
I think humor is the best medicine. You Sir are top notch in my book.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.

Angelchemuel, I like the homeopathic idea. I’m going to check it out.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

My sympathies... it got me on my left cheek. The whole left side of my face felt like it was on fire. I have never ever felt such pain!!!!

For what it's worth, I took L-Lysine internally, and put fresh aloe leaves directly on it. The aloe was a real Godsend. Relieved both the pain and itching. I also used a cream with neem oil as it healed, and fortunately I had no scarring or even roughness when it was gone -- yay!

There are also certain foods you can eat/avoid:

At the time of an attack it is wise to reduce foods relatively high in arginine including chocolate, peanuts, soya beans and other legumes, nuts, seeds, carob and coconut. Foods with a good lysine:arginine ratio include eggs, fish, chicken, milk, cheese, brewer's yeast and most fruits and vegetables.

Source

Take good care and good luck!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

a reply to: KKLOCO
I think humor is the best medicine. You Sir are top notch in my book.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.

Angelchemuel, I like the homeopathic idea. I’m going to check it out.

It's Aromatherapy, not Homeopathy.....but if you want to try Homeopathy try RhusTox, I used it on my kids when they had chicken pox with great results to stop them scratching and getting fractious

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

bwuahahahahahhahhahhah

you unfortunate ole prick... hahahahhahahahahahahahaahha

seriously though man i feel bad for you.
i dont think youre gonna be having a great time the next couple months

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join