It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
a reply to: rickymouse

When the wife and I cut out dairy, gluten, and sugar a few months back, I was sad to leave behind certain foods such as butter. Fortunately, I soon discovered clarified butter, or "ghee", which seems to have butyrate that survives the clarification process. Neat info s + f

I was going to get some ghee for my prep stock. It is almost the same price per pound as the canned butter. Then I found that you can freeze butter, I have canning jars, if and when something happens, I can put in in jars and seal it. We usually stock about fifteen to twenty pounds of frozen butter in rotation, getting it when it is cheap on sale.

I make most all of our bread and the milk we buy is grassmilk, it is certified grassfed and organic. It tastes really good, sort of like the stuff on the farm used to taste. If I am going to suffer with drinking milk, I want it to be good tasting.

I don't seem to have any problem with butter, but I do have a problem with milk. It will raise my body Temp to almost a hundred from my normal ninety seven point zero. If I drank milk every day, I would probably have a normal body temperature most of the day.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
This is very interesting to me. When my son was in the 4th and 5th grades, his teachers and counselors tried to tell me he was autistic. I didn't reject it out of hand because I knew my son wasn't "normal" in some ways and never really had been. But I also knew he was a really smart kid who was functioning just fine, and didn't see any need to "fix" what wasn't broken. So I didn't -- much to their chagrin!

We are also a butter family through and through. From buttered bread/toast to buttered veggies and noodles to baking/cooking with it. Always have been and always will be. I can't eat margarine. Even worse than the taste is the yukky film it leaves in my mouth for hours. And my kids say it does the same to them. So we would eat nothing rather than margarine. But for a while my son was using olive oil quite a bit, and he said that he'd find himself craving something cooked in butter or just toast and butter, so he's back to cooking with butter more often, and reserving olive oil for Italian/Mediterranean food.

So I wonder if this has something to do with this craving for butter he had. He says that now that he's using butter more, and switched back to whole milk from soy milk, that he's not had the cravings for butter again. And he's still not "typical" and never will be! But he's responsible and productive and successful and he's got my respect.

He probably is not autistic, teachers often try to push that as an excuse when they can't teach a kid. I used to be bored in class when I was young, I would be designing engines on a paper or drawing mazes so other kids could try to find their way out of them. School was sort of boring, I had the credits to go to college when I was in tenth grade, but didn't have government and econ and they wouldn't allow me to take that till my senior year. Well, at least they had some advanced classes there, the same six people would go from class to class. At least I wasn't too bored since they had some advanced classes, I was a nerd, a science freak.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Totally agree. They tried to diagnose my daughter in the 90s as ADHD. Thank God a therapist suggested additional testing because her behavior did not fit that diagnosis.

She suggested visiting the University of MN audiologist testing lab. Sure enough-she was a severe auditory processing disorder-her ears hear what is being said but hear it as different words and in a different order making classroom lecture learning impossible.

Unfortunately, the schools had never heard of it and even refused to accomodate what the doctors suggested-my daughter's self esteem plummeted. I fought hard and ended up suing the school system-and I won.

Unfortunately, APD is still misunderstood by most. She is quite intelligent but cannot communicate well in crowds or even restaurants. She self taught herself sign language and lipreading. But many areas of her life have been affected.

After attending private schools, who tried to work with her-she finally left school and received her GED.

On a brighter note, she loves learning and now want to attend college and the college agreed and understood her needs in a lecture environment.

The struggles are real for those that are different.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join