It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HSCB: What is Cultural Sabotage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

What is Cultural Sabotage?
By Kim Hay

Cultural sabotage strives to be perfectly exemplary but at the same time retain an element of opacity - not propaganda but æsthetic shock - apallingly direct yet also subtly angled - action-as-metaphor.

Homeland Security Cultural Bureau

This is intersting. This page offers several ways we as individuals can do something in the fight on terror. At least a little more than continue going to work and continue shopping.

We can make a difference and the change starts at home.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   

...This page offers several ways we as individuals can do something in the fight on terror. At least a little more than continue going to work and continue shopping.

We can make a difference and the change starts at home.

Hi,
I've read the essay & explored the site but before I comment can you elaborate a little more on how the page offers ways individuals can do something in fighting terror.The essay's author(not the site itself) seems to be a proponent advocating cultural sabotage & poetic terrorism.Or are you viewing it as an enemy's manifesto to take countermeasures/precautions against?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
A Manifesto For Thugs And Sociopaths

From the source article by Kim Hay:
Don't picket - vandalize. Don't protest - deface. When ugliness, poor design & stupid waste are forced upon you, turn Luddite, throw your shoe in the works, retaliate. Smash the symbols of the Empire in the name of nothing but the heart's longing for grace.

This is nothing more than classic Anarchy, which seeks to use the eternal frustrations of youth to promote violence and destruction.

It is an incitement to commit crime, which is just another brand of evil, falsely clothing itself as a form of artistic expression.

The only art in that is the art of turning human beings into mindless, murderous animals.

Kim Hay is nothing more than Charles Manson with a better vocabulary.

Assuming there is a real Kim Hay.

The HSCB website looks like an elaborate disinformation project intended to do the opposite of its declared charter as some form of “artistic cultural protest”.

But it's difficult to know exactly what it really is about, because the site deliberately uses confusing and self-contradictory language to describe itself.

Looks like a propaganda-oriented spoof website.

Since it's based on deception, I doubt I'll spend any more time looking at it unless I need to do some more research on perception management.

As it is, there's plenty of that to study right here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Vajrayana
I've read the essay & explored the site but before I comment can you elaborate a little more on how the page offers ways individuals can do something in fighting terror.

heh, sorry for not using sarcasm tags.

Majic

The HSCB website looks like an elaborate disinformation project intended to do the opposite of its declared charter as some form of “artistic cultural protest”.

But it's difficult to know exactly what it really is about, because the site deliberately uses confusing and self-contradictory language to describe itself.

Looks like a propaganda-oriented spoof website.

I would think it obvious that this is a spoof site. A supposed government related site on a .org address, the DHS encouraging vanalism, the confusing language, etc...

Give the Ridge biodata page a read and also check out the opportunities page. That should make it very clear this is not an official US government site.

heh, I thought the site was rather funny. Though not to be taken too seriously (as with all things in life). Sorry.......

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
What Propagandists Do

Originally posted by Xibalba
[I would think it obvious that this is a spoof site. A supposed government related site on a .org address, the DHS encouraging vanalism, the confusing language, etc...

Obviously, I don't trust the site.

However, it's more than just a "spoof" site.

It has an agenda, and it does indeed seem to be aimed at influencing and mobilizing people.

Whethere that is also part of the "spoof", I don't know.

But the implicit message of the site is that homeland defense is totalitarian and should be opposed.

Websites with such messages arouse my suspicion.

In earlier wars, messages such as these were broadcast by radio and intended to demoralize troops.

The message of this site seems more subtle, but no less insidious.

Sarcastic humor makes thin cover for propaganda.

top topics

join