It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NCAA History - 16 Seed Upsets a 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
www.ncaa.com...

Never happened before, but UMBC beat Virginia for the first ever time a 16 seed upsets a 1.

And they did it in style by 20 points!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

One of, if not the biggest underdog victories of all time in major (semi-professional at least) sports. UMBC has only beaten one Power 5 team in program history, and have never beaten a ranked team. What a way to break the mold and beat the best team (30-2 record this year) in one of the toughest conferences on the largest stage. That coach is going to quadruple his salary next year for a new school.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Handled. Twenty points, wow, The underdogs are doing well. Any idea what the betting line was?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
lol already so many people tearing up their brackets..

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Handled. Twenty points, wow, The underdogs are doing well. Any idea what the betting line was?

Virginia by 20.5

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I'm still curled up in a ball crying for mommy wanting my money back.

Anything can happen on any given day in sports.

In other sports news, Mayweather is seriously training for a UFC fight. No joke about it this is going to happen. Can't wait to see who his first opponent is!! Probably not McGregor but I so hope so.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This will be the event that propels the NCAA to expand the tournament to 128 teams. VA entered with the best statistical defense in nearly 2 decades, and had the second best "win it all" Vegas odds. Fun side note, Nate Silver eats his hat yet again.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   
WOW, this is cra Z when the 64th seeded team beats the overall #1.

The analyst were saying the selection committee made bad choices and this goes in the "proof they didn't understand the talent pool" column.

I had enough sense to move UVA from being my choice for national champ to losing at the final 4 when their 6th man broke his wrist. Now in my office pool, only one has my replacement for UVA, Villanova

GO CATS!

edit on 17-3-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Only in college sports... can an upset be this epic.

...it reminds me of the Appalachian State win over then #5 Michigan (football) back in 2007.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I kind of think Virginia started to believe their press and thought they could snooze through this one, and they found out why you line up and play the game.

Don't look ahead or you get trapped.

I looked at my husband and said, "Hear that? It's as if millions of brackets suddenly cried out in agony and vanished ..."
edit on 17-3-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I picked Villanova to win it all so I'm still in the fight..............but yeah this hurt.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I think MSN was reporting that there are no perfect brackets left.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I don't know about anyone else but mine never ends up perfect. I also think you are correct there are none left. Mashall winning hurt a lot of brackets also.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ha ha, my brackets started off with a loss and didn't get much better after that.
The only big upset I predicted was Loyola (great game!!!)
BUT it was crazy to see a 16 seed crush a number 1 (Even if Va is my old stomping grounds).

It was bound to happen one day
But why on the year I picked Virginia LOL

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I haven't watched much basketball in the last few years and games like this are one of the reasons.
They should push it back to 32 teams where it belongs.

Virginia lost to a team that shouldn't even be in the tournament.
This team caught another team full of teenagers off guard an whooped them.
Something that would not have happened not long ago when kids stayed and finished college.

Congrats to UMBC for their win.
But Sunday you will not be surprising anyone.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I hope not! They're playing my 'Cats.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Did you guys just see that final play by Michigan?!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

That wasn't an upset. It was destruction. Complete and utter twenty point destruction. May the University of Kentucky not face the same fate when. UMBC defeats Kansas St. !!!!

new topics

top topics

join