It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No, space did not permanently alter 7 percent of Scott Kelly’s DNA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Verge

Some fascinating results have come out of the experiment. For one thing, Scott’s gut bacteria changed significantly while he was in space. And yes, he did experience genetic changes. The protective caps on the ends of his DNA strands — known as telomeres — increased while in space. But space didn’t permanently alter 7 percent of his DNA.

Here is your daily dose of hypocrisy.

Yes it did no it did not.......

I say that it did change the dna just as the article states.

cnn

gizmodo

So it seems his gene expression did change but they like to bicker back and forth about semantics of permanency.

so it seems that indeed his dna is different by 7%

so instead of admitting that he has become a new species and we witnessed what we thought took hundreds of thousands of years they just come back with the retort that His "space genes" activated and that the 7% change was not a change at all but simply just a different expression of his genes.

more hardheaded than me to not be able to agree on what happened.lol

edit on 16-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

So telomeres grew....

....that is anti-aging.....

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

There is no contradiction in that?

“What researchers did observe are changes in gene expression, which is how your body reacts to your environment. This likely is within the range for humans under stress, such as mountain climbing or SCUBA diving.”

Maybe read it again and you will get what they are saying?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

the contradiction i was pointing to is the question of permanency.

you have to open all three links to get the full effect.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

did they grow or become non existent and replaced?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I don't know what to say. There were changes in gene expression but not permanent changes to the genes. Seems logical.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Maybe read it again and you will get what they are saying?

Based on other threads today magic 8-ball says:

Outlook not so good

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

what the article says:

The protective caps on the ends of his DNA strands — known as telomeres — increased while in space.

They "increased". Not replaced.

You cannot replace telomeres. If you could do that you could make people immortal, and cure cancer all in one fell swoop.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

yes i came across that when i copied and pasted that exact sentence.

you failed to get my point that they are assuming the ends just grew and were not replaced after they deteriorated because the changes were not being monitored in real time.

you see they are assuming with reason that they just grew even though they did not watch them grow.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

I don't know what to say. There were changes in gene expression but not permanent changes to the genes. Seems logical.

actually that seems false and true depending on which article you read.

they say 7% change is not significant and that in itself seems like very much opinion as is much of the rest of the different paths the articles took.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Because there is nothing to tell them how or why. It could simply be that the lack of gravity cause the same amount of material to stretch thinner. It wouldn't change the structure too much to lengthen it some.

Anyway...occams razor is the reason why they don't think its been replaced.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

It seems that they did see them however decrease in length when monitored on the ground so it is a fairly safe assumption that the telemers did not become replaced but indeed did grow but a slim chance still remains that they were replaced all together.

what would it matter?
because it could mean that a new timeline was being created

i get it i just lost everyone but it could be the point of such.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

pretty wild to think that perhaps in a low oxygen high carbon dioxide environment we might live longer or even something similar to those conditions or that perhaps the lack of gravity itself could be the factor.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

If telomerase isnt being increased then i dont think its due to anything more than unwinding of genetic material.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

What really happened is that 7 percent of the way Kelly’s DNA is expressed changed after space travel

gizmodo

so it seems that indeed his dna is different by 7%

so instead of admitting that he has become a new species and we witnessed what we thought took hundreds of thousands of years they just come back with the retort that His "space genes" activated and that the 7% change was not a change at all but simply just a different expression of his genes.

more hardheaded than me to not be able to agree on what happened.lol

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

"Gene expression is the process by which information from a gene is used in the synthesis of a functional gene product."

You don't get that?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

looks like i am getting it now lol

so you are saying that whatever creates the gene has changed?

or that the function of the gene itself has changed

or that his gene out put has changed

obviously if his dna has changed then that means he is not the same by 7% and by now it seems he is still 7% different than before

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well, it did not permanently change, it just increased telomere length on some of his cells. They will go back to shortening since he is down here. You can increase telemeres by just consuming telemerases. They are a chemistry that adds length. It is found in some places in nature. I know a few places. The thing about using telemerases is it also helps cancer grow faster, so it has good and bad properties to it. If the telemeres were growing in space, then it also can make cancer gain strength.

It is a lot easier to pull out the grass head out of it's sleeve and suck on it or eat some nice naturally ripened pears than to go to train to be an astronaut. I also like the softer white under the green on a watermelon. It isn't so sweet as the center. Just make sure you know your grasses, some of them might cause some problems with blisters.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

They didn't grow, they just didn't shrink as much as his earthbound twin's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join