It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many “cartoon stereotype” political shills do you know in real life???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

Right wing..

Right = conserve the traditions of the past over broad social changes..

Left = iginore the traditions of the past in favor of broad social changes..

That person would be right wing on that issue because segregation is a “tradition of the past”.

Literally by the dictionary definition, that is a rightwing philosophy.

With a name like Socrates you should know the definition of right/left ..

edit on 16-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Most folks are ignorant of politics.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

But were they cartoon liberal hacks.. aka “as sold by right wing television?”

I have never met someone who thinks the federal governor going around and confiscating all the guns is a good idea.. no one..

I absolutely know people who have disowned children for dating black people..

I Have never met ANYONE who thinks abortion should be till the 8-9th month..

I do know people who think that no exceptions should be made..

Everything I listed is a normal everyday rightwing taking point and have never personally met anyone who could EVER check more than one box on the left wing list..

I know ten personally who check ever box on the right.
Eh, you almost are making your definition too extreme. Yes I do know a few who want to get rid of all guns. Not many.

I do however know a TON of stereotypical sjws. They do exist in hordes. They are problematic enough.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: JoshuaCox

a whole bunch.

My great aunt was regional director for planned parenthood for 20 some odd years. I live just north of austin, where there is this strange mix of very liberal austin hippies, and very conservative rural texans.

I also interact with quite a few professionals that tend to be pigeonholed rather correctly. Interior designers and military brass are 2 good examples.
Same with many in non profits, some gov offices, and certain academic fields.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Double
edit on 16-3-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
2 cons
1 lib

most people are pretty moderate and willing to talk and consider things (in my circle anyhow). The net amplifies everything beyond what is the norm.

Not to say the moderates don't have strong opinions, but a disagreement in the street or at a pub somewhere with a friend you have differences with typically just leads to shrugging and moving on, whereas on the net everyone just labels everyone else a commie, nazi, devil, etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There are also economic, civil liberty, and environmental differences. For example most conservatives believe in deregulation and limited gov intervention with the economy, which ironically, used to be called economic liberalism. Hence why supporters of that are called "neo liberal." But it's right wingers who propound it now days.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I do however know a TON of stereotypical sjws.

How do you know soo many? What do you do on your weekends or whenever that makes you rub shoulders to that extent with soo many sjws? You work at some vegan restaurant or something?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   

i know probably 6 left wing cartoons in my personal life.

i work with maybe 1 or 2 right wing cartoons.

the biggest difference... the right wing cartoons are ok if you disagree and are actually a lot of fun to debate with, they don't take it personally if you disagree.

the left wing cartoons, not so much... they use all the cartoony buzz words on you like Racist, bigot, nazi, alt-right, etc etc etc. at the slightest hint you don't agree on all fronts.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Read my previous post.

1) I live in NYC.
2) my degrees are all in fields that have more liberals, and more sjws.
3) my entire career has involved anti poverty, justice, or liberal orientated policy work.

Because of this, I have about as much exposure to such as anyone. IVE been called an sjw, by sjws.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

How do you know soo many?

Age.

18-35 are overwhelmingly liberal (from all that TV... sesame street doesn't instill conservative values).

i my case i would have to not be friends with 90% of people i grew up with/went to school with. otherwise you just have to deal with the cringe. IMHO one's political views shouldn't be the litmus test for who your friends with.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I am pretty much your definition of a 'right wing shill'.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
IMHO one's political views shouldn't be the litmus test for who your friends with.

Agreed

Unless ones political views is all there is to the person...there are some people like that who have soo little going on in their personal life that they use politics as a religion and self identification. I find also a person's personal happiness seems dependent on how detatched they can be from their political ideology. I have rarely found highly partisan people also happy as a person regardless of what side they are on.

Politics just makes people miserable it seems. If someone doesn't want to be a friend to me because my political views on some subjects are different, then cool...chances are they would make for a dull time just bitching all the time anyhow.
edit on 16-3-2018 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
3 family members completely fit the bill for your Left definition, except they all hated Hillary and supported Bernie .

No one I know fits your definition of Right. I do know someone that comes close, but 3 of the things you listed do not fit them.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
At least where I'm from, every group has that one liberal friend who gets triggered at everything and blames Republicans/Fox News for every problem in their life.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Left-wing cartoon stereotypes:

Quite a few, but that's because I went through art school and got a BFA in Visual Communications. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many art professors are caricatures of far-left politics. I have a few friends from high school who still living in California who are quite obscenely cartoony with their far-left ideologies.

Right-wing cartoon stereotypes:

I know or am acquaintances with far fewer, and that's even living in KY (although my area has a high level of libertarian-minded people...we elected Thomas Massie, after all). But that doesn't mean to say that I don't know a few.

Understand, though, that the far-right people that I know are not nearly as extreme (cartoony) as the far-left people that I know. I don't know if that's indicative of anything concerning ideologies or not, but in my anecdotal experiences, those who let pure ideology dictate their views and lives tend to tip the scales to the political left.

Honestly, though, I just try to avoid political discussion in real life, because it gets us nowhere in the modern political climate.

Like you noted in your comment after the OP, it's probably a regional thing, but they obviously do exist (but are the dramatic minority of real people).

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Would get rid of all the guns if they had a magic wand maybe..

Think the government should go house to house taking them?? Doubtful.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Do they exist enough to form a voting block though???

Or really exist enough to be a broad threat to society???

I have a very hard time believing that is the left, but I have never even met one.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Well, you have to realize that sometimes people vote solely on the basis of a single issue, like religion, or abortion, or 2nd Amendment, or welfare issues. So, to ask if a caricature of a voter that is as extreme as what you propose forms a voting bloc is not necessarily the proper question--the question should be, how many of these caricatures allow these intense ideological views guide how they vote every time.

Rephrasing like that, I would say that, yes, there is a large enough chunk of people like this on both sides to form a voting bloc, and when combined with the voters who apathetically look for a single letter next to all candidates' names, we get these vast numbers of voters who really don't reflect the view of the average American.

But, sadly, going by the numbers, the average American doesn't vote, so that's why we are looking at the polarizing political atmosphere that we now have.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

But were they cartoon liberal hacks.. aka “as sold by right wing television?”

I have never met someone who thinks the federal governor going around and confiscating all the guns is a good idea.. no one..

I absolutely know people who have disowned children for dating black people..

I Have never met ANYONE who thinks abortion should be till the 8-9th month..

I do know people who think that no exceptions should be made..

Everything I listed is a normal everyday rightwing taking point and have never personally met anyone who could EVER check more than one box on the left wing list..

I know ten personally who check ever box on the right.

Are you cognizant of what you did in this post and why it would be detrimental to discussion outside of an echo chamber? Simply put, you have created a self fulfilling prophecy that can't do anything other than be confirmed in your perspective.

I actually dig many of your posts. The fight stories were grand entertainment. I would've posted them in Short Stories, but thats pretty irrelevant.

The problem with bias, and confirmation bias, isn't necessarily its presence but the fact that it can precipitate itself almost exponentially.

Instead of a heavy, blatant bias towards "liberals good, others bad," I can give an example from the opposite, but equal stance:

Right:

Thinks that the world will literally, with 100% certainty end in an instantaneous, cataclysmic, apocalyptic event if we don't build a border wall.

Left:

Think that the best way to affect change is by violent protest.

I have never known anyone who thought an asteroid would strike the planet if we don't build a wall in a year. No one..

I absolutely know people who feel violence is the best way forward.

Similarly, to an extreme, I could do something like: "The cartoon right believes in 300' tall hamsters running the world, but I've never met ANYONE like that. But, the cartoon left believes only white people can be racist and I absolutely know people like that."

The entire premise and foundation is based on affirming, or denying, outlandish claims of whatever group we identify with personally.

Doing this intentionally, like I just did, is one thing. However, when we aren't aware we are doing it, no one points it out, and it goes on long enough.. it actually starts to become irrefutable fact to us.

All of a sudden, we readily accept and perpetuate any negative claim against the other "side," no matter how outrageous. At the same time, we readily dismiss any criticism of our "side" as cartoonish, no matter how accurate it might be.

Once we get a large enough group to participate, it begins to turn into the political climate we see today. Which, I think many from all sides would agree is in an unhealthy place, at best.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join