It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Thought Crime

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
This law was conceived and written by teenage girls. It’s a bloody nanny state.

You may have just commited a felony with that statement. Good thing you're from Canada -- for now..

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

This law was conceived and written by teenage girls. It’s a bloody nanny state.

You may have just commited a felony with that statement. Good thing you're from Canada -- for now..

Unfortunately, Canada is not much better.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

We're only the most liberal and socially progressive place on the planet. What could possibly be/go wrong with that?

UK needs to catch up.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's a sad state of affairs.

The thing is, for the last decade or so, the words "hate" and "racist" have been weaponized by the MSM, the SJW crowd, Hollywood, and all the other enemies of freedom, for the purpose of pushing one brain-damaged, self-serving agenda or another, and used carelessly over and over again. So much so that both words have lost most of their meaning.

Much of what is characterized as "hate" or "racism" today is anything but, and in recent years it's been used as an easy excuse to attack whatever flavor-of-the-week group that has ideas they disagree with.

There's a reason we still tell kids the old fable about "The boy who cried wolf".

So you don't like Trump? Well then just call him a racist! Or just say that he "hates" one group or another. It tends to be standard operating procedure nowadays, ESPECIALLY with the SJW crowd. If they aren't able to logically argue a point, then throw out a personal attack, or better still, call them names!

It's pretty pathetic, and tends to demonstrate a lack of character.

And by the way, I fully realize that it's not just the left that does this, the right may do it too. I only singled out SJWs because it seems to be much more common in that particular group.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

If someone does something that isn’t a criminal offence but the victim, or anyone else, believes it was motivated by prejudice or hate, we would class this as a ‘hate incident’. Though what the perpetrator has done may not be against the law, their reasons for doing it are. This means it may be possible to charge them with an offence.

Source.

Wow. Just wow. No crime, but if someone thinks you have bad thoughts, you're a criminal nonetheless.

Talk about a standard ripe for abuse. This reminds me of the drown a witch and if she dies, she was innocent times.

I wonder how long before we duplicate this thinking in the US? Probably already happening. I keep forgetting we already live in a nation where if you disagree with a POC or a woman, it's automatically because you are a racist or a misogynist pig.

Mind blown how far we have fallen.

You are aware people are arrested and charged in the US for "planning" without ever actually commuting the said crime right?

If you don't then mind blown.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

asking as an American,:

Does no hate mean, no more Newfie jokes?

Can I not yell that someone sucks at a hockey game?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is madness.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

Lol, the right "may" do it. Take those blinkers off properly dude, not just halfway. The UK has a Tory government currently in it's second term and The Metropolitan Police Force is hardly a radical communist enclave.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Speaking as a Brit this is never really a concern.

For example a few years ago I got into a debate in a full lecture theatre at university about how I thought gay marriage was wrong and infringed upon the rights of religious people. It got rather heated, some homosexual's said they found it offensive. I never spoke to a copper or anything after that.

A "Hate incident" is not a thought crime, if you actually read the full link its quite clear that there is a difference between a "hate incident" and a "hate crime", it seem to be that its only possible that one might lead to the other.

I sometimes feel like threads like this only exist to wind up uk members, I have lived in the UK all my life and I have never known anyone to have a chat with the cops over a "hate incident" or a "Thought crime". I feel like people read about stuff like this and take it that thats what life is like in the UK when really I think most people in the UK feel just as free as anywhere else in the world.

I don't want to live in a a country where you can stand outside a mosque or church and shout bigoted abuse at people who just want to prey. Thats the kind of thing these laws are for.

If to others that sounds somehow like a 1984 dystopia then you don't have to live hear.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

At least you are a favored model compliant citizen. Kudos for being submissive

You could apply to become a morality policeman when the time comes.
hahahahahahahahaha.
edit on 16-3-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

At least you are a favored model compliant citizen. Kudos for being submissive

You could apply to become a morality policeman when the time comes.
hahahahahahahahaha.

Its not nothing to do with being submissive, I have been on the streets protesting against the actions of the UK government.

Its just my views on this simple as.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: MteWamp

Lol, the right "may" do it. Take those blinkers off properly dude, not just halfway. The UK has a Tory government currently in it's second term and The Metropolitan Police Force is hardly a radical communist enclave.

Blinkers?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

It's dated 2018 on the website and the copyright at the bottom related the The Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime..

New advice to The Met from Khan perhaps? Does it even work that way?

Eta. Good excuse to avoid London
edit on 16-3-2018 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

You obviously don't have a legal background.

Planning alone, without an act which is a substantial step towards implementing a crime, is not a crime in the US.

If you disagree, show me the statute or case law.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

We're only the most liberal and socially progressive place on the planet. What could possibly be/go wrong with that?

UK needs to catch up.

In any place where the state is the biggest employer, and that includes Canada, we’ve got problems.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Though what the perpetrator has done may not be against the law, their reasons for doing it are.

"Reasons" are now against the law.

Very bizarre and awful.

As reason originates in the *mind* where is the law going to find all these

mind readers from

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

asking as an American,:

Does no hate mean, no more Newfie jokes?

Can I not yell that someone sucks at a hockey game?

Newfies are always fair game. I've never met one personally, but I've heard stories.

Hockey on the other hand, is akin to Jesus Christ so unless you want to be hanged for blasphemy.. you better hush!

edit on 16-3-2018 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

The bit you left out, this extract included earlier in another thread of the same.

Verbal abuse,

'Verbal abuse, threats or name-calling can be a common and extremely unpleasant experience for minority groups. Victims of verbal abuse are often unclear whether an offence has been committed or believe there is little they can do. However, there are laws in place to protect you from verbal abuse.
If you’ve been the victim of verbal abuse, talk to the police or one of our partner organisations about what has happened. You’ll find a list of them on our How to report hate crime page. Even if you don’t know who verbally abused you, the information could still help us to improve how we police the area where the abuse took place.'

Not that big a difference at all, UK/USA just a sensible measured approach.
No person would want to be abused verbally day in and day out, and most other right-minded people wouldn't like the idea of anyone being verbally abused day in and day out either..and as you can see the police take a statistical, strategic stance to the matter as well. You're blowing stuff out of proportion.

edit on 16-3-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   

UK needs to catch up.

In any place where the state is the biggest employer, and that includes Canada, we’ve got problems.

Struggling to think of a decent sized country where the state isn't the biggest single employer.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

I’m actually questioning if i’m retarded and not understanding what i just read.

Are they actually saying that if someone believes your legal actions were done because you hate them then you’re a criminal guilty of hate crimes? Disliking people is actually illegal in the UK?

And i thought Canada was bad by making annoying people criminals

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join