It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Horizons’ next target has been dubbed Ultima Thule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Set the date in your calendars folks. My old favorite space probe New Horizons is on target to amaze us again. The little probe's science shattering observations at Pluto may be in for a run for the money come New Year's Day 2019.

New Horizons is scheduled to visit the tiny Kuiper Belt object on New Year’s Day 2019. NASA announced in November that it was seeking public input for a catchier name than the object’s existing moniker: 2014 MU69. Submissions varied wildly, ranging from the mythological Olympus to the much less grandiose Nubbin, defined as a “small lump or residual part” (SN Online: 11/7/17).

The final choice, Ultima Thule (pronounced “thoo-lee”), was announced March 13. It means “beyond the borders of the known world.” The nickname is a nice fit since the object will be the most distant solar system body ever visited.

Source: New Horizons’ next target has been dubbed Ultima Thule

This should be exciting to learn some new things about these distant KBO's. I, for one, am chomping at the bit for it to get there.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Set the date in your calendars folks. My old favorite space probe New Horizons is on target to amaze us again. The little probe's science shattering observations at Pluto may be in for a run for the money come New Year's Day 2019.

New Horizons is scheduled to visit the tiny Kuiper Belt object on New Year’s Day 2019. NASA announced in November that it was seeking public input for a catchier name than the object’s existing moniker: 2014 MU69. Submissions varied wildly, ranging from the mythological Olympus to the much less grandiose Nubbin, defined as a “small lump or residual part” (SN Online: 11/7/17).

The final choice, Ultima Thule (pronounced “thoo-lee”), was announced March 13. It means “beyond the borders of the known world.” The nickname is a nice fit since the object will be the most distant solar system body ever visited.

Source: New Horizons’ next target has been dubbed Ultima Thule

This should be exciting to learn some new things about these distant KBO's. I, for one, am chomping at the bit for it to get there.

Cool!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Ultima Thule?
source
New Horizon now ventures out to fight Cthulu?

new topics

join