It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stan Friedman is Retiring

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
According to the local newspaper in Stan's hometown of Fredericton, New Brunswick Stan is set to retire at the ripe old age of 83.

The article is subscription only. But there are always ways and means of finding out what it says.

UFO EXPERT HANGING UP HIS TELESCOPE

Longtime UFO researcher Stanton Friedman of Fredericton is retiring.

"I'm turning 84 in July," Friedman said in an interview. "I'll look at the Internet, but enough is enough."

Friedman said he gave his first lecture on unidentified flying objects in 1967.

"That's a long time."

The author and former nuclear physicist began lecturing about UFOs while doing engineering consulting work, and his family moved to Fredericton in 1980 because his wife, Marilyn, was born in New Brunswick, he said.

He's travelled the world speaking about his belief in the existence of alien life, his views widely publicized at home and abroad through lectures, writings and his monthly column in the MUFON (The Mutual UFO Network) journal.

"One of my last events will be the Roswell International UFO Museum Festival in July in Roswell, New Mexico," he said.

Many believe a UFO crashed in the area in mid-1947, and that the United States military has covered it up ever since.

"I'm the original civilian investigator of the Roswell incident. I've been invited. I accepted."​

Friedman said he will be giving several lectures at the event, which last year attracted 9,000 visitors for the weekend festival.​

Retirement doesn't mean he won't be thinking about UFOs, he said.​

Friedman said he has never doubted the existence of life beyond Earth, and the evidence of alien life visiting our planet has never been stronger.

"I came at it as someone who worked on far-out stuff. We now know that there are planets all over the place. In our own galaxy, they are in the billions."

The odds are very good that we're not alone in the universe, he maintains.​

Original Source : www.telegraphjournal.com...

Text provided by Paul Kimball (Stan's nephew) : redstarfilms.blogspot.co.uk...

Stan goes back to the days of the early space age and was talking about 'Flying Saucers' before most of us were born.

Of all UFO writers/researchers he was arguably the most recognizable face around the world before a certain follicly endowed TV presenter appeared a few years ago.

Friedman is maybe best known for his work on Roswell, the Betty and Barney Hill abductions ,the MJ-12 documents and his fierce criticism of Bob Lazar and his claims about Area 51.

His opponents argued that he was simply milking a topic for all it is worth and preaching to the converted with the same ingredients served up time and again. He is a firm believer in the Extra-Terrestrial Hypothesis, that aliens have been visiting the earth and that the US and possibly other governments are involved in a “Cosmic Watergate” as he calls it.

Whether you agree with his views or not I would say that he would always engage his audience. When he did speak some of the tales he told were compelling listening. Stanton Friedman still asserts that this Cosmic Watergate, aliens on earth and a secret cover-up continues to this day and has recently said of the AATIP/To the Stars revelations that "someone threw a switch" to let this information into the public domain.

Yet the real solid proof of his claims remain elusive.

However Stan is a colourful character and got a lot of people interested in the UFO topic down the years.

I wish him well.

edit on 15/3/2018 by mirageman because: .

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Good!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I've been following Stan since he first started in 1967. The one thing you can say about him is that he has never wavered or deviated in his admittedly old-school message. He has also never been involved in any kind of proven hoax.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I have the feeling you missed 'riddance' off of the end of your sentence there!

He'd certainly fallen back on tired clichés since the turn of the century and talked about people a long time dead. I think , like many who followed him. Stan started out with genuine curiosity and a belief that some UFOs really were alien.

But then when he realized he could make $$ trotting out the same thing night after night he obviously felt that being a nuclear physicist was not the best way to make money.

So he ended up perpetuating myths and telling stories to people only too willing to listen and part with their cash.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I've been following Stan since he first started in 1967. The one thing you can say about him is that he has never wavered or deviated in his admittedly old-school message. He has also never been involved in any kind of proven hoax.

You don't consider MJ-12 as a hoax then?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
How does one "retire" from something that is more hobby than discipline? That's a tad unfair, but really, anyone can call themselves a "UFO Researcher" ... as in, "hey, I'm a UFO researcher!" I don't recall an organization with code of standards.

Maybe he knows the gig is up and true disclosure is upon us, a la the pop-punker ... and wants to bow out before the mystery evaporates?

Heh... well, he was certainly more careful than most, I guess.

Hope his cribbage and soaps are wonderful.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I thought he was already retired. He wrote the most boring UFO book I've ever read though I think he's an honest researcher

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

Not really, no, and the issue is that he was not involved in perpetuating it if it was. He genuinely attempted to study the issue at a level you have not. I'm not saying he as never wrong, but as a genuine researcher he was a cut above the charlatans out there. A lot of people who have done absolutely ZERO to advance the state of the art like to criticize him, but I don't take them seriously as they have done nothing themselves. No one will ever remember your name, but Friedman will forever be known as a seminal figure in UFO research.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I like that guy----very detail oriented. Have fun Stan

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I remember seeing one of his lectures at my old tech school.

Very good public speaker.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Enjoy the time off Stanton
Although I wasnt a huge fan (you shot down some of my most favorite stories including Bob Lazar)
You have my respect and well-wishes.
Journey on.

edit on 3/15/18 by Gothmog because: spell

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
One of my hero's , but understandable. .

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Well, at his age I don't blame him.

I very much doubt that his voice will fall silent in the discourse on the subject, though.

As long as he has his health, I think it is very difficult to let go of this subject once it grabs you.

We shall see.

In any case, I wish him well.

BT

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

He is getting old. Wow!

Me too i guess.

I'm with ya about the 60's.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

And you don't believe in aliens?

Seriously?

We are alone?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
It's about time this ultra left moron retired.. www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: libertytoall

It's about time this ultra left moron retired

"Ultra left"? Seems like that's the worst insult one can make on ATS these days. But what does political ideology have to do with UFO's, anyway? Approximately zilch, IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Enjoy the time off Stanton
Although I wasnt a huge fan (you shot down some of my most favorite stories including Bob Lazar)
You have my respect and well-wishes.
Journey on.

Well said .
I will say Stanton lightened up a bunch on Lazar in the last couple of years.
I’m at 35 years of UFO interest and I believe Bob, The Roswell story and Astr0.
on another note I dont think Stanton is Ultra Left probably just Canadian

edit on 16-3-2018 by UnderKingsPeak because: oh Canada

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well, maybe after he retires he'll finally come clean about his various associations with the people in the military / government who have been feeding him the nuts-and-bolts ET view of UFOs all these years. What I always got from Stan was that he was a guy who was keeping things secret at the same time he was railing about other people keeping secrets. Although with his unwavering focus on solid ET contact, I also got the feeling that whatever secrets he was keeping were wrong and possibly told to him to sidetrack him and keep him away from finding out what's really going on.

Still, as long as he's been at it, unless he truly believes that he knows the truth, it's gotta be a little frustrating to near the end of your tenure on Earth without having made any real progress in figuring it all out. I know my dad did before he passed away. He was disappointed to have never figured out what real UFOs really are.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
We are alone?

No. We are here with you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join