It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least 1 Dead After 950-Ton Pedestrian Bridge Collapses at Florida International University

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Giménez said at least one person was killed in the FIU bridge collapse and that at least six people were taken to the hospital, including one person who was in cardiac arrest. At least eight cars were affected by the bridge collapse, the mayor said.

The Miami Herald reports that the 174-foot-long bridge was installed at FIU on Saturday, with the intention of giving pedestrian access from FIU’s campus to its newer dorms and off-campus housing.

... the bridge was not open to the public yet and was scheduled to be finished in 2019. The Associated Press reports that the support towers of the $14.2 million bridge were built at each end while the main part of the span was built by the side of the road before it was positioned over the seven-lane highway.

At Least 1 Dead After 950-Ton Pedestrian Bridge Collapses at Florida International University

I’m sure the people who died from this collapse and their families would be glad that it was engineered with such vigor instead of you know, rigor and discipline and a thoroughness that doesn’t #ing get people killed.
edit on 15/3/2018 by ProphetZoroaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Sorry, wrong thread.
edit on 3/15/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

www.dailymail.co.uk...

students had to cross a 6 lane highway to cross so I understand them wanting a pedestrian bridge.....this is a totally new way to do a bridge really fast and a horrible failure.......between 6 and 10 people crushed to death......people jumped out of their cars and helped people who cars were only partially crushed

just saw an update: up to 10 dead that bridge was was put up 5 days ago and built in 6 hours www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 15-3-2018 by research100 because: added new link

edit on 15-3-2018 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
well somebody screwed up......top of the bill USA infrastruckture !

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Jobs of this sort are usually awarded to the lowest bidder..... Sad but true.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

thought I heard the crane hit it...then it collapsed.. just imagine having to decide to jump out your car in a split second. Really hope there are no kids trapped adults is bad enough

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

Isnt that what Neil Armstrong said he thought, about his Apollo mission

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

I was stationed in Schweinfurt Germany in 1974, in the US Army. One of the room mates there was from Ann Arbor and his mother a worker on the Apollo space craft. He told me in confidence that the lift-off from the Moon nearly failed because of a failed toggle switch breaking/shearing off, nearly causing catastrophe if it weren't for the presence of mind for the Astronaut using an ink pen to force the switch, thus initiating ignition.... Who knows, I'm just telling what I was told.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

PROUDLY BUILT WITH ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT LABOR!!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Oh?..bodies not even cold

Back up your tasteless statement.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

I was stationed in Schweinfurt Germany in 1974, in the US Army. One of the room mates there was from Ann Arbor and his mother a worker on the Apollo space craft. He told me in confidence that the lift-off from the Moon nearly failed because of a failed toggle switch breaking/shearing off, nearly causing catastrophe if it weren't for the presence of mind for the Astronaut using an ink pen to force the switch, thus initiating ignition.... Who knows, I'm just telling what I was told.

incorrect, armstrong knocked off the toggle with his backpack when he had to turn sideways to exit the lem, its in the radio transcripts.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm sure it was "designed" by the "brightest" and the best "Educated" people they could find. I heard it called, "The bridge to the future". How fitting. God did not destroy the "Tower of Babel" because it was a "tower". It was destroyed because of the arrogance of man. Liberals will have a hard time understanding my post. Their "pride" has no humility. That's the difference!
Man (the creation) should/does great things to be "like God", not to become God. And
I'm sure, "Hawkins" would now, agree.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ProphetZoroaster

Shades of the Kansas City Skywalk collapse ... It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the story.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
On the Daily Mail's page the following struck me as significant:

Two workers were replacing something on the side of the bridge when it collapsed, according to CBS Miami.

Upon checking the CBS Miami page, I could find no mention of the above text.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Like hearing inside stuff like that.... Armstrong was a cool SOB, Armstrong was the only astronaut that could halfway handle the prototype trainer lunar lander, and even he crashed it..

www.youtube.com...

okay back to the original scheduled programing..

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Looking at the pics, it's an unfinished structure. The ends piers are supposed to be loaded from both sides, in this case by ramps. Not being tied in laterally allowed it to be pulled inwards.

Again guessing, the sight of the canal adjacent to it makes be think the soil was not as solid as expected. In my estimation, the excess sheer created at the footings by it being unfinished was not taken into account.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
No, it wasn't the actual bases, which are 100% intact, it's the t-columns attached to the tops of the base. imo, they could NEVER be anchored strongly enough to allow the decks to be attached only on one side at a time.

Construction method, not the actual engineering, is frequently the case with these disasters. I hesitate to call it an accident.

This is the example that always comes to mind....

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

This tension cable look like it got pulled clean through it's concrete base.

So maybe a bad concrete mix or improper curing, or the cable came through as a result of the overloaded condition I described above.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: yuppa

Oh?..bodies not even cold

Back up your tasteless statement.

the probabilitis are high. but mostly it was a joke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join