It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Hits Russia With Sanctions For Election Meddling, Cyber Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well that escalated.

The United States slapped sanctions on 19 Russian individuals and five groups, including Moscow’s intelligence services, for meddling in the 2016 U.S. election and malicious cyber attacks, the Treasury Department said on Thursday.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said there would be additional sanctions against Russian government officials and oligarchs “for their destabilizing activities.” Mnuchin did not give a timeframe for those sanctions, which he said would sever the individuals’ access to the U.S. financial system.

“The administration is confronting and countering malign Russian cyber activity, including their attempted interference in U.S. elections, destructive cyber-attacks, and intrusions targeting critical infrastructure,” Mnuchin said in a statement.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

At least there appears to be consensus in DC about election meddling by Russia - this along with the intelligence community. Trey Gowdy stated earlier this week that he believed from sources provided that Russia did indeed meddle in the 2016 US presidential elections and even went so far to admit this was in favor of Hillary Clinton. We've also had Mueller more recently ramp up his investigation by sending subpoenas to Trump's organizations for documents relating the Russia.

The GOP House Intelligence Committee did conclude a few days ago that, from their 'investigations' there was no collusion bettween Trump and Russia. However they stopped short of concluding election meddling itself.

Mueller's investigation just keeps on giving.
edit on 3/15/2018 by eriktheawful because: Link Fixed

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'd be willing to bet there wasn't any more meddling in this one than the last.... but that's just me.

TPTB want war with Russia. We were nearly there when the election took a turn they didn't expect, so it's taken them a little while to get their narrative back on track. russia Russia RUSSIA!

They won't stop until there's another war.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I hope Trump scolds Putin with a very nasty tweet. Serve those commies right.....

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Why is there going to be a war?

The powers that be do not want a war with Russians unless they are immune from radiation

I take it the powers that be are the banking lot?

SG thank you for the thread

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

So hillary and trump agrees on one thing!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Trey Gowdy stated earlier this week that he believed from sources provided that Russia did indeed meddle in the 2016 US presidential elections and even went so far to admit this was in favor of Hillary Clinton.
Your second link doesn't work but in your first link I found this;

U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential campaign using hacking and propaganda, an effort that eventually included attempting to tilt the race in President Donald Trump’s favor.
www.huffingtonpost.com...
Which ever way they attempted to tilt the favor towards the main goal seemed to be chaos. Using America's weakness, bipartisan dissension, against us and ATS is proof that it has worked quite well. I find it odd how so many self declared "patriots" seem to hate so many Americans.

I feel that if Trump is not involved in this in any way then it may make it easier for us to come together and try to stop this from happening again. It's seems most people are more concerned with whether Trump conspired with the Russians or not that they forgot the important part, #king Russian interference in US elections!

edit on 3/15/2018 by Devino because: added bold

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hey , I would reword the title

The United States slapped sanctions on 19 Russian individuals and five groups, including Moscow’s intelligence services, for meddling in the 2016 U.S. election and malicious cyber attacks, the Treasury Department said on Thursday.

Does 19 individuals and 5 groups (possibly comprised of the 19 individuals) encompass all of Russia ?
Gosh , that is some wide sweeping sanctions...

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Russia mist be more powerful then anyone pretends they are not.

Changing the United States of America through cyber attacks and online media.

Is America really this vulnerable? All this shows to American enemies is just that, not to mention over a year of investigating bull#.

Weird how Demoncrats lost power and so did ISIS and SA. North Korea shut up too.

But don't let that distract you from the fact Russia.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I'd be willing to bet there wasn't any more meddling in this one than the last.... but that's just me.

TPTB want war with Russia. We were nearly there when the election took a turn they didn't expect, so it's taken them a little while to get their narrative back on track. russia Russia RUSSIA!

They won't stop until there's another war.

really? no meddling at all? take off your rose-colored glasses. the cold war never ended and never will end.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog Yes it is. Don’t worry you guys I already took care of them. I dug a deep hold put them in! And they only get to eat salad except on sundays.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Meddling..it consisted of tweets and facebook posts, and none of it was traced back to the Russian government. No, they are handing out sanctions on Russia just to get you guys to give up the Russophobia.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
www.mirror.co.uk... wonder if putin will cut back on gas exports to the UK over this ?

nalysts S&P Platts have warned that Russia my be the only option for gas for European nations as other suppliers are already running at or near capacity. The report said: "Gas demand is set to rise again from the end of the week across north-western Europe, bringing potential large-scale gas withdrawals back into play and prompting a likely increase in nominations for Russian gas imports. "Given the surge in demand, Russian gas supplies are considered the only swing source of gas under current conditions. "Domestic production and other import sources are effectively maxed out."

www.reuters.com... seems the new pipeline is getting set up to bypass ukraine and germany seems ok with it so i guess they could wanna keep relations good until the new pipeline is flowing they may wanna play nice despite new sanctions

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

WHAT ?!??

The only people saying that Russia was helping hillary are trump lap dogs..

The FBI, cia And NSA ALL said they specifically helped trump win both the primary and regular elections..

Suuurrrreee hillary leaked her own staffs emails to the Russians to help trump win.. so she could... I have no idea because that’s too retarded.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I think it is obvious Russia made a special exception for trump..

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You should read the actual sanction.
They also have hacked into our power grid and infrastructure control.
Look up project butterfly. You want to build a story when one is happening right in front of you.
So when your power goes out you just light up that indignation and stubbornness for light and heat.
Wonder what you'll say then.
Of course we will never know because you won't have the internet without power.

Pres even said looks like Russia poisoned those folks in the U.K.. If that wasn't the Russian government then they've lost track of a chemical weapon of mass destruction and some individuals have taken control of it. So it could now turn up anywhere in the world. Or...it was Russia.
Your choice sir.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Western Europe depends on Russia for natural gas and this is a rocky situation.
You are correct. They also must put Russia in its place or they will continue on this campaign to roll over democracy all over the world.
Right now they know they won't be held accountable to any great degree and they are emboldened.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Meddling..it consisted of tweets and facebook posts

It consisted of a lot more than that: hacking into and tampering with voter rolls/registration, as well as attempting to tamper with voting software.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Meddling..it consisted of tweets and facebook posts

It consisted of a lot more than that: hacking into and tampering with voter rolls/registration, as well as attempting to tamper with voting software.

These Russians are a force to be reckoned with then eh, no longer are they the neutralised cold war era failure, broke and unable to project force......

top topics

join