It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media is Mind Controlling Us

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

You totally ignored the primary point of the thread - that these mainstream social media sites are designed specifically to exploit the same psychological vulnerabilities that slot machines and other gambling rackets are. It aims to create addiction and obsession, and constant repeated usage so that the corporation can profit from your addiction.

I'm sure anyone can use these websites to achieve positive things for their family/friends or for their business. But that doesn't defeat the point that these corporations are predators that are preying upon weak minded individuals and harming them psychologically via addiction/obsession.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Well yes, but "social validation feedback loops" that supply that dopamine hit exist outside of social media in "Real Life" interaction as well.

In many ways, social media is more sterilized and "safer" because of the lack of nuance. Most people can spot a troll fairly quickly, but in RL much of that behavior is not only accepted it is built into little tribal persecution complexes that scapegoat people.

There is good and bad. There is the consumerism and monetized aspect to these social media platforms that is scary. I can also see how they can and are used for social engineering, which is even scarier.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I have to chuckle, because one of my "worthless" degrees is in Sociology, which has always been sort of the red-headed stepchild of science, being called "soft," and generally not considered to be all that important.

But the more I understand how the Internet and its various systems interact with people, I find that Sociology and Psychology are probably the most dangerous and important sciences we have. Sure, you need physics and chemistry and many other "hard" sciences to build an atomic bomb, but a person in a social network has to decide when to drop it.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: madenusa

The series by the photographer was even more chilling than the article.

www.removed.social...

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I actually wrote a whole song called "run us all" about this two months ago after perminatly erasing my social media (a rather hard thing to physically do btw they try everything to make sure you have the option to return if you so choose)

The first verse reads as follows
//Consumer consumption spending out of countrol// They limit your mind to live on your telephones//Dopamine receptors wired to "likes" and hearts"//Thats when the dumbing down of America Starts.
//yall more worried about some big stars' suit//your letting entertainment get the best of you//you post a sexy picture just to get a few more "likes"//but come-on baby girl hows that really make you feel inside//
Chorus//
Wake up America we are living in hell/
Visit social media and you can tell//
Pocket held communicication ruining us all/
I hope they can see that its getting out of control/
We're letting the world run us all////

I noticed myself doing this in the past few years. I would go out with my wife with the thought in the back of my mind that this would end up making me look better because I'm gonna post it on social media and a bunch of people are gonna see how cute, hardworking and romantically involved I was.... Wait... Hard Stop... Are you #ing kidding me? I understand as humans we yern for acceptance but this has gotten completely out of hand. I started noticing (facebook specifically) about a year ago when advertisements really started in heavy on the site but something was slightly different. Sites I had never visited were reccomending me to purchase things I had searched about on Google. It would rock back and forth between Kratom (another FDA conspiracy I dont have time to get into right now) CBD, and guitars. This was enough for me to start looking into a few things and I found one of the former C.E.O's of facebook Chamath Palihapitiya speaking out about his deep regret for helping create such a beast.
youtu.be...

Its getting really bad out there guys. Stay safe. Its up to people like us to be the lookouts. People are walking into traffic because of a facebook news feed, what do you think the government is gonna try to pull when everyone cant even look up from a 5.5inch tv screen?!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Just because it's designed to retain the attention of users, is that a reason NOT to use it?

That's my point, it's a pro/con scenario. Does anyone expect the design NOT to provide a feedback loop?

Think about what we're talking about, a "net" a "web", just like in nature.... is anyone surprised how it's used?

It seems like maybe it's a surprise to people here that someone can obtain a good result from social media.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think the downside is as huge as some do.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Wait til 5G goes throttle up- No more firewalls unless you are not totally human like me. I got off on the wrong timeline I think around 1989

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Funny thing about this thread is you are preaching to the choir, we all know this is happening. The ones that need to know this do not visit sites like this. So really, kind of pointless to post this here.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Is abovetopsecret.com controlling our minds? I suppose if it was not for the internet, our minds would be controlled by the television and the newspapers. Correct?

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

You totally ignored the primary point of the thread - that these mainstream social media sites are designed specifically to exploit the same psychological vulnerabilities that slot machines and other gambling rackets are. It aims to create addiction and obsession, and constant repeated usage so that the corporation can profit from your addiction.

I'm sure anyone can use these websites to achieve positive things for their family/friends or for their business. But that doesn't defeat the point that these corporations are predators that are preying upon weak minded individuals and harming them psychologically via addiction/obsession.

This site is doing the same exact thing to YOU that you say these other sites are doing (Which is obvious). I bet as of right now you are constantly visiting this site to see how many flags and replies you got so you can get your fix. Yet here you are bashing other sites for doing it. Same sh!t different flies.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: RomeByFire

Some people are weak-minded and fall prey to the manipulations of others of ill-intent. I think the MSM is just as dangerous as social media. I don't do either.

I believe ATS counts as social media.

Definitely.
They don't buzz our phones though. I would be ok with ATS buzzing me but the owners said the coding wasn't compatible. This website predates smart phones by a long shot.

LOL what? when did they say that? If that was their exact words then they are lying or their programmer is not a real programmer. Having a website send out notifications is not a hard task.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

This site is doing the same exact thing to YOU that you say these other sites are doing (Which is obvious). I bet as of right now you are constantly visiting this site to see how many flags and replies you got so you can get your fix. Yet here you are bashing other sites for doing it. Same sh!t different flies.

Why are you upset that I revealed the truth? Are you so obsessed and addicted that now you're going to get defensive when someone says anything negative about your precious social media addiction?

I didn't exclude anything from "Social Media" because it does cover a lot of websites, apps, etc.

If you have a problem with all of this perhaps you should go outside and listen to the birds or something? Oh wait, that won't work because you can take your phone with you. Hahaha, there's no escape!

Really though don't take it so personally. Unless you're Mark Zuckerberg there's really no reason to be upset. If you are him than I apologize for the Dr Evil pic ( I didn't make it tho lol ).

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: RomeByFire

Some people are weak-minded and fall prey to the manipulations of others of ill-intent. I think the MSM is just as dangerous as social media. I don't do either.

I believe ATS counts as social media.

Definitely.
They don't buzz our phones though. I would be ok with ATS buzzing me but the owners said the coding wasn't compatible. This website predates smart phones by a long shot.

LOL what? when did they say that? If that was their exact words then they are lying or their programmer is not a real programmer. Having a website send out notifications is not a hard task.

They said it would be very difficult to do and would cost a lot of $$$ and time. It wasn't feasible in terms of cost benefit.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Is abovetopsecret.com controlling our minds? I suppose if it was not for the internet, our minds would be controlled by the television and the newspapers. Correct?

Not necessarily.
Only you personally can decide if you have an addiction.

Can you avoid all forms of media (tv phone tablets papers books etc) for 1 week? By just purposely ignoring it and spending your time on anything non-media?

It's actually way easier than you'd think.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
People seem to miss the point. It doesnt matter what TPTB put put there, or whomever, it is all about self control and personal accountability. Use it for what's its for, the occasional 15 minutes a week. Just because someone throws out bait, doesnt mean you have to bite

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

They are mind controlling you....I don't participate in any social media like facebook, Instagram, snap chat etc.

I only come on this a other forums like it to troll all you people. Enjoy your likes!!!!

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

They are mind controlling you....I don't participate in any social media like facebook, Instagram, snap chat etc.

I only come on this a other forums like it to troll all you people. Enjoy your likes!!!!

Although you might be under less mind control, the fact remains that everyone is brainwashed about all sorts of things from various sources. If the social media corporations don't have you addicted to using their websites or apps than some other corporation has you addicted to their product, or the media convinced you of some untrue information or whatever.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver....when seen in reality your right....lol
edit on 23-3-2018 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kountry
People seem to miss the point. It doesnt matter what TPTB put put there, or whomever, it is all about self control and personal accountability. Use it for what's its for, the occasional 15 minutes a week. Just because someone throws out bait, doesnt mean you have to bite

I agree 100%. We make our own choices.

I also agree that there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of technology we have and utilizing it for productive purposes or for personal enjoyment and satisfaction.

My idea in posting this thread was simply to share with people the concept that these websites are indeed knowingly attempting to bait their users into becoming addicted without realizing it - and then to make them (the readers of this article) aware of this so they might be able to step back and reevaluate themselves and make better choices, if they so choose.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join