It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Accuses Russia of Ongoing Operations to Hack Energy Grid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Russians seem to be the new arabs. Demonise the Ruskies all over the media for this and that. They gonna pull us out the world cup next just to hurt Vlad

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

The US didn't qualify for the World Cup.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

What about this story from 7 years ago?

From one of my posts in that thread:

Then earlier this month, someone accessing the network from a Russian IP address managed to turn the SCADA system on and off, which also turned the pump on and off, which resulted in its failure, he says.

The original article that excerpt was from is now no longer available nor is it archived anywhere online that I can locate.

The big brouhaha at the time was that DHS was trying to say that hacking SCADA systems was not even possible.

Federal officials said Wednesday they have found no evidence to support an initial state report that foreign hackers caused a pump at an Illinois water plant to fail this month.

“In addition,” Ortman said, “DHS and FBI have concluded that there was no malicious traffic from Russia or any foreign entities, as previously reported.”

The Washington Post

However:

But the federal government wasn’t able to produce evidence to support the Illinois fusion center’s claims. "After detailed analysis, DHS and the FBI have found no evidence of a cyberintrusion into the SCADA system of the Curran-Gardner Public Water District in Springfield, Ill.," a DHS spokesman said in a statement on Nov. 22.

This is not the hacking you seek...

But that doesn’t mean everyone has been quick to write the possible cyberintrusion off. On Monday, Nov. 28, Time reported that there has been skepticism from its readers, and that the federal government claimed from the beginning that the report had no corroborated data. Yet, on Nov. 18, an ABC affiliate claimed that the attack occurred in a small water district near Springfield.

Brandt couldn’t say if the breach[that the Feds say did not happen] was a case of the vendor[who's stolen credentials allowed the nonexistant hackers to access SCADA sytems remotely] not following proper security protocols or if the cyberattack[hasnt he gotten the memo? there was no attack] was so good that it wouldn’t have mattered how secure the vendor network was. But in any case, the utilities software community may be behind others in terms of cybersecurity.[what elephant?]
[my commentary above]

Government Technology

So, which is it are our utilities in danger or are they not.

Keep in mind all of the above is from a 7 year old incident. Who was president during that time?
edit on 15-3-2018 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed ex tag

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
blaming Russia is one part...
investing in save computers cost to much so stop moaning of there own stupidety lolllll.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: RAY1990

I am much much more concerned about China's cyber espionage escapades than Russia's, Yet everyone is crickets on them and in full blown panic over Russia.

It's hard for some folk to see anything that the puppet MSM doesn't tell 'em to see. Literal Idiots geopolitically speaking.

China is much more of a danger than Russia. It doesn't even take much reading and study to know that for the fact that it is. But, nope, CNN and WaPo says RUSSIA! so RUSSIA! it must be.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If you hook the power grid to the internet, you probably shouldn't be running a country.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Russians seem to be the new arabs. Demonise the Ruskies all over the media for this and that. They gonna pull us out the world cup next just to hurt Vlad

I had this feeling already before the supposed chemical attack.

Now I'm pretty sure there's an effort from globalist countries to make it look like Russia is the enemy.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
So, now they are trying to get into our energy grid. How much more is trump going to let the Russians get away with, before he speaks up? If he does not address this, the Russians must have something on him.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Trump administration accused Russia on Thursday of a concerted, ongoing operation to hack and spy on the U.S. energy grid and other critical infrastructure, and separately imposed sanctions on Russian officials for alleged high-tech interference in the 2016 American presidential election.

The Treasury Department said the GRU and Russia's military both interfered in the 2016 election and were "directly responsible" for the NotPetya cyberattack that hit businesses across Europe in June 2017.

The new sanctions the alt right are dismissing that should have been put into place WEEKS AGO, are being put in place to counter act their attacks on the U.S.

"These targeted sanctions are a part of a broader effort to address the ongoing nefarious attacks emanating from Russia," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said. He said others would face punishment in the future under the new sanctions law "to hold Russian government officials and oligarchs accountable for their destabilizing activities."

People this is VERY serious. The only ones, who will dismiss this, along with anything else Russia, are trumps followers.
finance.yahoo.com...

The problem Kurthall with your thread is you contradict yourself right off the bat by giving evidence on how the Trump administration is NOT dismissing Russian antics, they are in fact taking action, and then claim that Trump is dismissing the actions of Russia's destabilizing antics against the USA. The issue of a country being destabilized is serious and does need to be addressed. It's unfortunate that the examples of hacking and misdeeds by both Russia and China, while accomplished greatly in the last 8 years, went pretty much unpunished by the then acting administration. It is fact that the Obama admin knew of REPEATED issues with Russian prior to August 2016 but failed to do anything until January 2, 2017, days before the inauguration of the new POTUS.

Obama: I told Putin to cut it out on hacking

"These actions follow repeated private and public warnings that we have issued to the Russian government, and are a necessary and appropriate response to efforts to harm US interests in violation of established international norms of behavior," Obama said in the statement.

www.cnn.com...

The Trump admin is acting and punishing Russia and you decide to attack? Where were you in August 2016?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Why can't they just make good policies, like no income taxes on employees, like it was designed to be?

Why is ww3 the answer?

Weird timeline.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
since we let all infrastructure rely on the internet we are digging oure own graves
internet is today's agillis-heel
couse we don't maintain the analoge backup systems anymoore due lack of money and interrest
if there is an complete outfall of the internet we become zombies in an dark world
internet is UNSAVE and can be hacked anytime everyware.. that will never be different

edit on 15-3-2018 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I have no idea.

But we are heading to the WW3 as we speak. I don't see how things can "de-escalate" right now...

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou

This makes no sense. Russians aren't that stupid.

More like another false flag to me...

Uh, I guess they are. Its the trump admin calling this out....Of coarse not trump himself. Also there are links and proof...I did not get this on a shill site, like trump followers do. These are people in our government saying this. Not just some reporter. Or Alex Jones Info Wars.

U.S. national security officials said the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and intelligence agencies had determined that Russian intelligence and others were behind a broad range of cyberattacks beginning a year ago that have infiltrated the energy, nuclear, commercial, water, aviation and manufacturing sectors.

The officials said the Russian hackers

according to the officials,

The officials, who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national security information,

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The Russians were attempting to get access to parts of our power grid. They succeeded in some places, but did not do anything with the spyware on these plants. See, the Russians don't play fair, we leave our power grid susceptible because we have it all linked together with computers, they don't do that, they are being conservative jerks, they won't let us hack theirs that way. Shame on them for having a secure power grid. Shame on them for not having a government that is easy for our governments hackers to get into. Their own citizens have to hack other countries because they can't get into the Soviets system unless they have people go right in and do it manually.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: RAY1990

I am much much more concerned about China's cyber espionage escapades than Russia's, Yet everyone is crickets on them and in full blown panic over Russia.

It's hard for some folk to see anything that the puppet MSM doesn't tell 'em to see. Literal Idiots geopolitically speaking.

China is much more of a danger than Russia. It doesn't even take much reading and study to know that for the fact that it is. But, nope, CNN and WaPo says RUSSIA! so RUSSIA! it must be.

You are proving my point. While you talk about people parroting the MSM, you yourself and many others are now apologists and deflectors for Russia. And you may not even know it.

If you have done much reading on studying on the issue, you would know that China is not a real threat to the US and visa versa. We are connected at the hip and neither side of the relationship will do much to hurt that connection.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: vinifalou

The only ones, who will dismiss this, along with anything else Russia, are trumps followers.

I'm neither a Russian or a Trump follower. But this makes no sense. Russians aren't that stupid.

More like another false flag to me...

True. The Russians are smart and they know that they now have the political party that is in power in this country in their hands.

The Right Wing has put themselves in a compromised position over this entire Russia issue and Russia can do damn near anything they want, because they have apologists and defenders at the ready. The Right Wing will be there to whine about it all being a MSM, Democrat conspiracy.

Correction, they had the last administration exactly where they wanted them. Russia is just continuing to do what they have done for the past 8-10 years. When Romney stated the biggest geopolitical threat facing America was Russia, Obama replied, "the 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back, because, the Cold War's been over for 20 years." Now it appears he was right all along. Sadly, it took the left over 8 years to recognize the threat.

Let's not forget how the last administration displayed their cowardliness with a mislabeled "reset button." Giving a "reset button" when Obama clearly stated the cold war over for 20 years. All this did was show Russia the Obama administration was in total fear of any possible confrontation with Russia.

Now the left, in an attempt so save face from a massive election failure, see Russians everywhere. Every left leaning MSM repeats Russia over and over knowing their audience will literally believe anything they say. After all, the Obama administration knew about Russia's cyber-war on the U.S. presidential campaign in August, but did absolutely nothing.

Now the "Jan Brady's" of the left want to cry Russia, Russia, Russia, every chance they get instead of recognizing when this all began. Clearly, the MSM and the Democrats, are to blame for this situation. If the left wasn't so desperate making excuses for their failing party, policies, and inaction the right wouldn't be in the position to try and wake the left up and have them think for themselves. As it stands now, the left is talking in their sleep screaming Russia, Russia, Russia.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JustaBill

Correction, they had the last administration exactly where they wanted them.

Nice deflection. The last admin has nothing to do with the fact the Right Wing are now Russian apologists and deflectors.

See The Gut's response as an example that fits perfectly what I posted previously.

Now the left, in an attempt so save face from a massive election failure, see Russians everywhere. Every left leaning MSM repeats Russia over and over knowing their audience will literally believe anything they say. After all, the Obama administration knew about Russia's cyber-war on the U.S. presidential campaign in August, but did absolutely nothing.

It appears you are contradicting yourself. You say the Left is seeing Russians everywhere, then post a link showing real actions by Russia that are reasonable to be concerned about.

Not to mention the ties and issues the current admin has with Russia.

It's hard to convince people that this entire ordeal is an attempt of the Left to save face when you provide the proof that their concerns are legitimate and real.

Now the "Jan Brady's" of the left want to cry Russia, Russia, Russia, every chance they get instead of recognizing when this all began.

So how does that excuse the trouble Trump and friends have gotten themselves in to?

Clearly, the MSM and the Democrats, are to blame for this situation. If the left wasn't so desperate making excuses for their failing party, policies, and inaction the right wouldn't be in the position to try and wake the left up and have them think for themselves. As it stands now, the left is talking in their sleep screaming Russia, Russia, Russia.

As I said in my post, Russia knows they have people such as yourself to rely on for deflections. Their troll campaigns and propaganda worked amazingly. This shows their incredible knowledge and intelligence.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I'd ask if you ever heard about the boy who cried wolf, but I think it's above your reading level.
Rather than get all scared and skiddish over this, hows about fortifying the network security and putting an infrastructure in place that can't be hacked. Unless the power grid just isn't all that important.

(one day, you folks on the left may realize there is more to the bad world than just "Russia". Other countries hack as well. Even backwards one's who just gained Nuclear weapons status)

BTW, look behind you, it's a Russian. haha, made you look.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Contraire, you're proving my point. China is killing us in cyberwarfare, building their military might exponentially and challenging us in ways heretofore unheard of, and even more to the point have decisive and brilliant plans to supersede us economically. They own more of the U.S. than Russia could ever hope to.

While I don't underestimate Russia militarily, it's China that is setting us up economically and otherwise. They are playing the long game and doing extremely well at it.

Once they are the economic champion we play by their rules and at that point selling cheap electronics and stealing our intellectual property becomes a moot point on how much they "need us" as they dominate global trade.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Nice deflection. The last admin has nothing to do with the fact the Right Wing are now Russian apologists and deflectors. See The Gut's response as an example that fits perfectly what I posted previously.

Now that you have used deflection, what catch phrase will you use next? Strawman or logical fallacy? Only person deflecting is you and those who believe anyone on the right is an apologist and/or deflector. Funny, how when presented with facts of inaction you want to call it a deflection. I notice you didn't and won't try to deny exactly what I claim. The last administration did nothing and you saw no problem with inaction. Parroting the MSM is exactly what you are doing. You didn't have any Russian concerns until the MSM told you to be concerned. You may wish to deny it, but it's evident.

It appears you are contradicting yourself. You say the Left is seeing Russians everywhere, then post a link showing real actions by Russia that are reasonable to be concerned about. Not to mention the ties and issues the current admin has with Russia. It's hard to convince people that this entire ordeal is an attempt of the Left to save face when you provide the proof that their concerns are legitimate and real.

Not my contradiction. If not for the massive failure that you want to ignore, Russia would not be an issue. Why? Because it would be business as usual concerning Russia. It didn't seem to be a problem until the failure. Those real actions do not fall on this administration no matter how much you desire them to be. The proof I provided was well known before Trump became president. So now you want this administration to be responsible for another failure of the last administration. Again, you can try to be blind to the truth and place blame where it doesn't belong if it helps you, but won't change facts.

Those issues and ties you claim exist will come out in the Mueller's investigation. Only time will tell if their is any merit. So far...nada.

You are correct is is hard to convince people on the left even when provided proof. We agree on that fully!

So how does that excuse the trouble Trump and friends have gotten themselves in to?

What trouble has Trump and friends gotten into? Indictments not related to Trump? I am sure if what you think is trouble Trump will have to answer for them, but as of right now...nada.

As I said in my post, Russia knows they have people such as yourself to rely on for deflections. Their troll campaigns and propaganda worked amazingly. This shows their incredible knowledge and intelligence.

As I said in my post the left will believe the right is deflecting because they are sponges of misinformation and you have soaked your fair share. If you believe their troll campaigns worked amazingly you are very gullible. You would think if they were so effective Trump would have also taken the popular vote. Wonder why he didn't with such effective propaganda. You and those on the left believe it was effective as an excuse for an epic fail. I wonder how effective those ads were when the majority happened after the election. You should stop being an apologist and deflector for the last administrations inaction. Do your own research and you will see this entire "Russia" thing wasn't an issue until the epic failure from the left. At this point it is becoming embarrassing to see you try so hard making excuses.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

So, now they are trying to get into our energy grid. How much more is trump going to let the Russians get away with, before he speaks up? If he does not address this, the Russians must have something on him.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Trump administration accused Russia on Thursday of a concerted, ongoing operation to hack and spy on the U.S. energy grid and other critical infrastructure, and separately imposed sanctions on Russian officials for alleged high-tech interference in the 2016 American presidential election.

The Treasury Department said the GRU and Russia's military both interfered in the 2016 election and were "directly responsible" for the NotPetya cyberattack that hit businesses across Europe in June 2017.

The new sanctions the alt right are dismissing that should have been put into place WEEKS AGO, are being put in place to counter act their attacks on the U.S.

"These targeted sanctions are a part of a broader effort to address the ongoing nefarious attacks emanating from Russia," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said. He said others would face punishment in the future under the new sanctions law "to hold Russian government officials and oligarchs accountable for their destabilizing activities."

People this is VERY serious. The only ones, who will dismiss this, along with anything else Russia, are trumps followers.
finance.yahoo.com...

I don't want to be "that guy"...but you cannot accuse him of not speaking up and then link to a story where he is speaking up.

Not trying to say your being ridiculously partisan...but come on man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join