It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US imposes sanctions on Russians for US election meddling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The U.S. Treasury Department has announced new sanctions on Russians !

Some individuals and some "entities" included.

Interference with the 2016 elections is the reason(s).

Big dis-info campaigns on the internet !! 😃

The article mentions the NotPetya cyberattack that hit Europe in 2017.

US imposes sanctions on Russians for US election meddling

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration on Thursday imposed sanctions on 19 Russians for alleged interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, including 13 indicted by special counsel Robert Mueller as part of his Russia-related investigation.

Also targeted were five Russian companies, including the Internet Research Agency, which is accused of orchestrating a mass online disinformation campaign to affect the election that Republican Donald Trump won over Democrat Hillary Clinton.

The Treasury Department announced the sanctions amid withering criticism of Trump and his administration for failing to use the congressionally mandated authority to punish Russia for the election interference. Trump himself has been skeptical of the allegations.

🎁

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The sanctions were to freeze their assets and forbid Americans from doing business with them.

That'll show em!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So, Americans can not buy buy or sell Russians Uranium anymore. Gee, they should have passed that rule while Obama was in office.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
“The administration is confronting and countering malign Russian cyberactivity, including their attempted interference in U.S. elections, destructive cyberattacks, and intrusions targeting critical infrastructure,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement. “These targeted sanctions are a part of a broader effort to address the ongoing nefarious attacks emanating from Russia.”

The sanctions also responded to other cyberattacks, including a previously undisclosed attempt to penetrate the American energy grid.

LINK

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Is this the same package that Congress had signed off on in January?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Does this not prove then that Russia did in fact interfere with the last US election?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Does this not prove then that Russia did in fact interfere with the last US election?

It says "attempted" !!

And all internet stuff 😄

"Colludable" intentions !!

😬

link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

no, silly, it's all still a big ol nothing burger. lol attempting to a penetrate our energy grid - that was just for fun and giggles.

wonder if mnuchin will be next on the chopping block..

link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Wait for the spin ... yes, it's beyond obvious that Russia interfered in our electoral process, despite the counter claims made by the Trump faction/trolls here.

But now, amazingly, we will find that they've been saying this "for months" ... stay tuned to find out how it's the fault of Obama, Clinton and the Democrats.

You can't make this $4!# up.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

yeah, the Russians funded some of the anti-fracking movement and they funded some anti-trump rallies. Which interfered with the 2016/2017 and 2018 elections

Will the UK follow suite and impose sanctions on america for Prez Obama interfering with the Brexit vote?
edit on 15-3-2018 by SocratesJohnson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why are you still blaming Trump?
Of course Russia tried to disrupt our country. That was known for a long time. They want to cause havoc and cause mistrust in the democratic process. They have been doing that for decades.
They attempted to support Bernie Sanders too. They were trying to cause disruption. And they seemed to hate Hillary.
ETA: and yes, per above, they organized anti-Trump rallies too.

None of that is Trump's fault.

edit on 3/15/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

why did it take so long? why didn't trump announce the sanctions?

they named the Russian companies and individuals indicted by Mueller, which i think is hilarious!

trump is a puss.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Ask Mueller what took him so long to investigate.
Why didn't Obama do something when he knew about it?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It would be well deserved if another country managed to give the US a taste of it's own medicine. I'm sure Russia is quaking in it's boots at the threat of sanctions lol...

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I don't think many have said there was no attempt by Russia to meddle. I think it's blindingly obvious there was.

The point of contention is whether Trump solicited them to do so in order to win the presidency.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I've not seen the outright denial of "meddling". I have seen the outright denial of Trump being the provocateur of said meddling.

In fact, i've seen it pointed out that Obama (during the election, while the meddling was occuring) laughed it off and made fun of anyone suggesting it could happen. And I do remember who was the sitting POTUS that had an ability to address it before it became an issue.

My only regret is that whatever meddling happened, it didn't result in a better president for us in the end.

ETA: BTW, nice to see you. Its been awhile...was wondering if you were doing alright.
edit on 3/15/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The Treasury Department announced the sanctions amid withering criticism of Trump and his administration for failing to use the congressionally mandated authority to punish Russia for the election interference.

Well they can't "punish the russians" for meddling in US affairs in Syria, can they...
edit on 15-3-2018 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

he expelled 35 russian spies and imposed sanctions.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'm finding it sad and obversely hilarious at the same time that the "Progressives" didnt even know they hated Russia until the puppet MSM told them to and now they're ready for war.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

i think it's funny trumpsters call themselves patriots but don't care when another country meddles in our democracy.

also, no one wants war, would you stop with that. good god.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join