It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Orwellian Departments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
* The Ministry of Peace — Newspeak: Minipax. Concerns itself with conducting and perpetuating Oceania's peace through wars.
* The Ministry of Plenty — Newspeak: Miniplenty. Responsible for rationing and controlling food and goods.
* The Ministry of Truth — Newspeak: Minitrue. The propaganda arm of Oceania's regime. Minitrue controls political literature, the Party organisation, and the Telescreens. Winston Smith works for Minitrue, "rectifying" historical records and newspaper articles to make them conform to IngSoc's most recent pronouncements, thus making everything that the Party says true.
* The Ministry of Love — Newspeak: Miniluv. The agency responsible for the identification, monitoring, arrest, and torture of dissidents, real or imagined. Responsible for making every Party member love the Party.
=====================================================

The Ministry of Peace-CIA, DIA, NSA, and military arms.
The Ministry of Plenty-Food and Drug Administration (Possibly, later)
The Ministry of Truth- News Agencies controlled by Federal Communications Commission and corporate interests.
The Ministry of Love- Department Homeland Security (identification), NSA (Monitoring), FBI (Arrest), CIA (Torture).

Ponder the possibilty. This administration has its loyalist in almost every sector.

[edit on 16-2-2005 by The Division Bell]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Does anyone concur? C'mon people.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Good work.
I see the relevance.

[edit on 01/27/2005 by TheBigD]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Yes I have often thought about the striking similarities between our government agencies and their newspeak counterparts. Over the past four years the resemblance has grown immesurably. Scare stuff. This discussion goes to support my belief that substantial works of litature are one of the few remaining ways to stay human and fight the thought control. Good post, hopefully others have more to add.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is a bit "1984" I think:

Everyday life in the not too distant future?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

"On each landing, opposite the lift shaft, the poster with the enormous face gazed from the wall. It was one of those pictures which are so contrived that the eyes follow you about when you move. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU, the caption beneath it ran."

1984 was one of my favorites, which is saying alot from an ex-lit major. Orwell was active in politics through a good part of his life, some interesting bits of which include...

www.levity.com...
Orwell's parents were members of the Indian Civil Service, and, after an education at Eton College in England, Orwell joined (1922) the Indian Imperial Police in Burma...
His major works of the period were two documentaries: The Road to Wigan Pier (1937), a detailed, sympathetic, and yet objective study of the lives of nearly impoverished miners in the Lancashire town of Wigan; and Homage to Catalonia (1938), which recounts his experiences fighting for the Loyalists in the Spanish Civil War. Orwell was wounded, and, when the Communists attempted to eliminate their allies on the far left, fought against them and was forced to flee for his life.

Orwell's two best-known books reflect his lifelong distrust of autocratic government, whether of the left or right: Animal Farm (1945), a modern beast-fable attacking Stalinism, and Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949), a dystopian novel setting forth his fears of an intrusively bureaucratized state of the future. The pair of novels brought him his first fame and almost his only remuneration as a writer. His wartime work for the BBC (published in the collections George Orwell: The Lost Writings, and The War Commentaries) gave him a solid taste of bureaucratic hypocrisy and may have provided the inspiration for his invention of "newspeak," the truth-denying language of Big Brother's rule in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

I had always wondered if Orwell wasn't privy to something bigger than just fiction. Some of the things he gets into in both 1984 and Animal Farm are damned prophetic and much of it has come to pass. I sit here in front of my interactive screen watching the news change from day to day, much of it blatant propoganda, it occurs to me that the man quite literally had predicted the internet. We have our modern equivilent to Goldstien to hate for thirty minutes each week night, and given the recent consolidation and subsequent corruption of our mass media, we now have a firmly planted Ministry of Truth. We have the fear of constantly being watched, we have the fear of other citizens scrutinizing us, and we have the now perpetual wars against vaguely defined enemies, and the news changes from day to day to suit those who deliver it. Frightening as that book was, even more so frightening is to actually seeing the events unfold as though Orwell had drawn a map of it.
When the books were first published, people laughed it off nervously and sighed in relief that such a world could not be possible in a democratic society. Now in looking back, I have to wonder if maybe Orwell wasn't trying to warn us about what was comming. If you haven't read it, I highly reccomend it. It is a quick read and I really do think it is just one of those books that will have a great impact on you.

You can read the whole thing online if you don't believe in print anymore :-)
www.online-literature.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell
The Ministry of Peace-CIA, DIA, NSA, and military arms.

Of all those, I would say only the NSA has even a twinkling of being worrisome. Nations throughout history have had intelligence agencies and militaries. Cloak and dagger is not a new thing.

The Ministry of Plenty-Food and Drug Administration (Possibly, later)

Yep, because making sure that new drugs DON'T KILL YOU is soooooo Orwellian :-p
Remember, the choice is either government or corporation. A single person cannot fund a system to run the expensive and time-consuming tests performed. Evne if someoen like Bill Gates took on the task, would you trust a single person to be holding all the cards?

The Ministry of Truth- News Agencies controlled by Federal Communications Commission and corporate interests.

Well, the choice is either privately funded news media, or governmentally funded news media. Take yer pick

The Ministry of Love- Department Homeland Security (identification), NSA (Monitoring), FBI (Arrest), CIA (Torture)

The Department of Homeland Security doesn't seem to actually do anything. The FBI is a necessary arm to deal with Federal crimes. The CIA is an intelligence agency. The NSA...who the hell knows what they do.

What Orwell wrote about was not that having such agencies themselves is a bad thing. The problem is when they get out of control, and when people let them. Personally, I don't see that happening. The best that HC has done is make a color system nobody pays attention to.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
What Orwell wrote about was not that having such agencies themselves is a bad thing.

My point was to show the possibilty and how easily it can morph into Orwell's 1984. Trust me, if mandated people would follow after seeing of revolts get creamed by militia. People become worried about their own self-preservation when control is granted and authorized through force.

top topics

join