It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SLAP-ping Down Sanctuary Cities. This is Getting Real.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+104 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
rokita.house.gov...

It appears the Federal government has had enough.

Congressman Todd Rokita introduced the SLAP Act (H.R. 4526, the Stopping Lawless Actions of Politicians) to hold lawless state and local politicians accountable with criminal penalties for working to obstruct federal immigration enforcement efforts

Violators of this law could be sentenced to 5 years in federal prison and be fined up to $1 million. This elitist mentality that everyone is not equal under the law must come to an end. These politicians want one set of rules for hard working Americans, but a different set of rules for illegal immigrants, and themselves.

I agree with this. It is one thing to debate a wall, debate immigration policy, support changes to immigration law... those are things we, as Americans, should rightly be able to do openly and honestly. However, the immigration 'debate' has gone well beyond this. Today, across America, city officials and in some cases (California) state officials are openly defying Federal law and releasing convicted criminals that can and have gone on to harm and even kill American citizens. Defiance of the law is not OK.

We're not talking about a protest or peaceful disobedience. Rosa Parks is not refusing to give up her seat. We are talking about endangering citizens, endangering Federal law enforcement, and openly declaring that state and local law overrides the Constitutional authority of the Federal government, not only the Executive Branch who enforces the immigration laws, but the Legislative Branch (who passed the immigration laws) and the Judicial Branch (who have upheld the immigration laws) as well.

The text of the bill, a single page, is here.

“Whoever, being a State or local official having custody of an individual, knowingly ignores a request from the Federal Government for the custody of that individual, if the requesting authority has designated that individual as a violator of the immigration laws, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both”.

This will not end well, but it has become necessary. Every single elected official who supports denial of Federal law via sanctuary cities (and state) is in direct violation of their pledge to uphold and defend the Constitution, and should be removed from office on that alone. Since they are also in violation of Federal law, they should be jailed just like any other citizen who violated Federal law.

I believe this is probably timed to go to the Senate in time for the upcoming midterms, in order to show Schumer and his cohorts in obstruction for who they are. I'm not sure why a new law is needed. I have as of yet not heard a single convincing argument as to why it is not illegal to violate Federal law to protect a person guilty of a crime. Maybe someone here can enlighten me? Or maybe someone can point out how it is not illegal to harbor a fugitive from justice, meaning this law is needed?

(I have placed this thread in the Mud Pit for obvious reasons; I would still vastly prefer a reasoned and serious discussion.)

TheRedneck

+40 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Best OP in many months.. And I support it wholly.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I just hope when the Cal-Exit thing happens it won't result in a civil war to spank them back into place. Just let them secede and get that wall up.

The realist in me says nothing will change (for the better) in my lifetime.

This is just more political posturing and the wheels keep on spinning.

edit on 15-3-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Seems to me the United States of America could be renamed the fractured states of America.

Why and how is there such division among citizens..... It's truly mind boggling.

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

This has much in common with the years before the War of Northern Aggression. That, too, was a slow but steady build-up of tensions between the Union and what would become the Confederacy. The initial battle in South Carolina was not something that happened overnight; it was a move, similar to the recent sanctuary laws, of total defiance that was eventually met with Union force. If a politician is placed under a Federal arrest warrant, and the local/state police attempt to prevent the arrest of said politician with force, we will have an identical situation.

One thing it does not have in common with that war: this time it won't be the South that will be devastated.

(Disclaimer: this is a statement of history, not a call for devastation of any territory.)

TheRedneck

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Kudos to Congressman Rokita! In many ways, this "targeted" punishment will be easier to dish out, than withholding Federal Funds from an entire state.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

This has much in common with the years before the War of Northern Aggression.

What war was that?

Never heard of it.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

en.wikipedia.org...

Civil War
War Between the States
War of the Rebellion
War of Separation/Secession
War for Southern Independence
War for the Union
Second American Revolution
War of Northern/Yankee Aggression
War of Southern Aggression

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Great OP. I agree totally.

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I just hope when the Cal-Exit thing happens it won't result in a civil war to spank them back into place. Just let them secede and get that wall up.

Amen to that. Things would be so much more peaceful if we just put a wall up between us and California. Let them rot in their own insane world. But, we can put the wall up between north and south and let north Cali join the US.

edit on 3/15/18 by BlueAjah because: clarification

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Why don't they have to follow the same laws as us?

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Lets be perfectly clear here...it’s not just California.

There’s a list and a lot of politicians would be put in their place should this become law (on top of law).

I thought they were pulling government funds from these cities/states - no??

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
California tried to stay out of the civil war. They probably felt left out now and want to have their own. I am from there and would love to have it become two states. The civil war no matter what it was fought for showed us one thing. The army wins.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Cali is bout useless in a fight anyway.

Who wants them on their side besides Brussels?

Trump should tell Putin to come and get it!

Then have noko blow the whole place up!

edit on 3 15 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

It'll never pass.

Politicians never punish themselves.

Sadly.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I don't agree with building a wall, but I do agree in fully supporting immigration law. I can't believe how our elected officials can actually protect these illegal immigrants when it's against the law. Our representatives continue to get away with going around U.S. laws and are not held accountable.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Excellent OP and very refreshing to read. I wholeheartedly agree with this, hold them accountable.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Lets be perfectly clear here...it’s not just California.

No, it's a long list of cities across the US who are doing this. California seems to want extra attention, though. In writing the OP, I needed to include "state" along with "cities" for accuracy, and the only state thus far to claim sanctuary status is California.

I thought they were pulling government funds from these cities/states - no??

That's the approach the administration is taking at the moment, likely because the budget is under consideration and could easily include a rider to pull funding. I think it's a time thing... the budget is simply a more timely attempt to correct the problem.

That said, I still believe HR 4526 is the most appropriate legally. A politician should not be exempt from the law; if anything, they should be held to a higher standard.

I have to give credit where credit is due: the Trump administration seems loathe to press this issue too far too fast, while still trying to resolve it as peacefully as possible. I wish the Lincoln administration had been similar.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Something needs to be done. We have cities, states and politicians openly defying federal immigration law.

Either you are a US citizen holding public office, and subject to US laws or your are not. It is that cut and dry.

Any law passed by any city or state that disregards US immigration laws, or any other federal law, should immediately be considered null and void. It simply cannot exist.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ProtiosDrin

The civil war no matter what it was fought for showed us one thing. The army wins.

Agreed. History shows us one more thing: the unarmed lose.

TheRedneck

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I like the idea, it's great when our laws are enforced but it's pretty bad when we have to make new laws in order to enforce ones that are already on the books. Sad that this is necessary, now if only this kind of thing could spread to politicians lying to their constituents. Being honest should be made into law, at least when it comes to politicians because they affect everyone else with their choices. Threaten jail time to politicians who are blatantly caught lying.
edit on 3/15/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join