It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dog put in overhead bin on united flight dies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Like, mmmm she couldn't stand up and check because the no smoking sign wasn't turned on?

(So freaky the planes I've flown in still have those)...

Yeah, sounds like a 'my minute in fame' thing to me, or, she just happened to down too many little nips.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Seems a terrible idea to let animals on in the first place.

Don't you have rules about putting animals in the hold?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The cabin pressure raises hell with my ecig and glasses cleaner spray bottle.

let alone equalizing the ear pressure.

Poor friggin pup.

I actually would go postal if I had to listen to the doggie for 2 hrs.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
It may be different in the US due to the size of the country and having many internal flights but do people really need to bring their pets travelling with them? And who puts a dog in a bag?! Little dogs seem to be fashion accessories these days and attention grabbers 'aww look at my little dog, yeah stroke him for a minute then I'll have to put it bag it's it's bag' some people absolutely amazes me

Still going back to it, if I was the owner and heard it barking in the over head locker I would of kept making sure it was ok, sorry still can't get over the fact someone put their dog in an overheard locker, if I was challenged by airline staff I still would of made sure the dog was ok. And if it was a major concern f*** if land the plane I'll get off. When I fly everything goes in the hold, the only thing I carry is my phone, passport, wallet and a bit of cash

Simple rule though, don't let people fly with animals.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

maybe i should fly quantis when i go to africa

QANTAS.

Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service. The flying Kangaroo.

You have to flush skippy the wrong way down a loo down here, they don't fit in the overheard luggage box. And they block the loo's up with all their joeys in the pouch.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Anyone know how the dog died?? Been on lots of flights and those overhead compartments the doors barely shut and are not air tight. I suspect the dog was given a sedative for the flight since a vet recommended that for my mother luckily she decided against doing that.
edit on 3/15/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Who raised this plane full of people who could ignore an animal in distress for hours? I can't think of anyone I know, even the total jerks, who would be a part of something so terrible. Must be cultural differences, or too much fluoride in their water.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
Who raised this plane full of people who could ignore an animal in distress for hours? I can't think of anyone I know, even the total jerks, who would be a part of something so terrible. Must be cultural differences, or too much fluoride in their water.

Right, I'd be saying something on her behalf. They could throw me off as well, you're letting that dog out of that coffin, it's not going to suffer on my watch, it's not- or we can all deplane together.

-Alee

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The people probably did not have a choice, either put the dog up there or they couldn't fly. I do see that the dog on the floor could be a hazard but also see that that dog should not have been put up there. I would guess they should not have brought the dog on the trip, I would never even think about taking a pet on an airplane. If I had a dog, I would board it or find a different way to travel or just not go on a trip at all. There is no law that says you need to fly somewhere, these people had a choice and they should have anticipated regulations like this. Hitting a pocket in the air can cause a plane to drop way down and the dog could hit the ceiling and land on someone hurting them. I do not think they should allow service pets in these jets either, if they do, maybe they can take a first class and travel in a cage there for both the person and the dog.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
as a fanatical dog lover, this story pissed me off. When i saw the pup that died, it actually hurt to imagine.

ill save my vitriol, and just mention that I don't fly (at all, anywhere) because of the stupid stuff like this. I cannot give my basic right to refuse to do something to a flight attendant that may or may not be hung over.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The people should not have brought the dog. The people should have de boarded the plane. Those over head bins get so cold a bottle of hot bathroom water will become very cold during a flight. Those airports wont even put cold water at the sinks for people. What is so wrong about the person holding the dog in their lap? They tell people with babies to do this unless they buy an extra seat. Dog kennels, or Dog camp is a safer option. Or hire a teenager to come to your house daily and walk the dog. Drive to destination with dog. I agree with the other person people are so disrespectful and mean these days it's hard to leave the property and go out in public with out worrying about the crazy people. The people should have checked on their dog and tried to put it under the seat again. The stewardess people are a bit callous, and stupid. Always ask yourself will this hurt me? My family? My pet? If the answer might be yes, then don't do it.
edit on 15-3-2018 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Sources have said the compartment was air tight. No mention of medication. Being a brachycephallic breed, let alone any animal locked into an air tight area, is eventually not going to be able to get enough oxygen. Also, that they mention barking for two hours-another clue of no sedation-, stressed and scared surely added to the dogs death.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Anyone know how the dog died?? Been on lots of flights and those overhead compartments the doors barely shut and are not air tight. I suspect the dog was given a sedative for the flight since a vet recommended that for my mother luckily she decided against doing that.

look at the bag the dog was apparently in. it looks like a cooler bag. not something any dog, forget about a type that has breathing issues should be in. i have seen a few animals that have died because some idiot put them into a cooler bag. which is designed to keep temperature in, ie no airflow to let the heat or cool out easily. which of course also means no air getting in so the animal can breath. if it died due to not being able to breath, the bag would be more at fault than the overhead bin. a bag for an animal on the other hand normally has a lot of mesh screening in all 4 walls, and even the lid of the bag so air can easily get in.

personally i think this case needs to be fully investigated, including an autopsy on the dog to find the cause of death. with of course appropriate charges on the dog owner, and possibly the stewardess. if the bag is not an approved dog carrier bag, charge the owner for animal abuse. another issue i have is the rules that are very specific pertaining to animals on flights. the animal must be able to stand and easily turn around in the container, when it is under the seat (and it must fit FULLY under the seat). again looking at pictures, it looks like the dog barely fit in the bag, and so would not have been in line with the rules. again the owner should be charged with animal cruelty for that. in all seriousness, if your pet is not smaller than a rat, it should not be put under the seat. it should be put in the appropriate cargo hold. and considering that the height under the seat is only 19cm, there are not many dogs or even cats for that matter that could actually stand up in that space. the stewardess may have made an error. the question is did she know for a fact that there was a dog in the bag (amazing there don't seem to be any videos of the incident, since it seems every time someone argues with a stewardess, there are multiple cellphone videos, so why none in this case?), and if she knew (which also means they would need to test and see that a dog in a proper pet carrier would die in the overhead bin), that putting a dog in the overhead would kill it, then she should also be charged. at the very least if she knew there was a dog in the bag, should be disciplined for breaking the airline's pet policy. she should have demanded that the dog go in the cargo hold, since it seems that the bag did not fit under the seat. which would have been following the airline's rules for pets.

In-cabin pet kennels
A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times. The maximum dimensions for hard-sided kennels are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm). The recommended maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 inches long x 11 inches wide x 11 inches high (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm). Soft-sided pet carriers may exceed these dimensions slightly, as they are collapsible and able to conform to under-seat space without blocking the aisle. With the exception of birds, there may only be one pet per kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. Two birds may travel in the same kennel.
www.united.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The people probably did not have a choice, either put the dog up there or they couldn't fly. I do see that the dog on the floor could be a hazard but also see that that dog should not have been put up there. I would guess they should not have brought the dog on the trip, I would never even think about taking a pet on an airplane. If I had a dog, I would board it or find a different way to travel or just not go on a trip at all. There is no law that says you need to fly somewhere, these people had a choice and they should have anticipated regulations like this. Hitting a pocket in the air can cause a plane to drop way down and the dog could hit the ceiling and land on someone hurting them. I do not think they should allow service pets in these jets either, if they do, maybe they can take a first class and travel in a cage there for both the person and the dog.

There was another option as well the airline would have taken care of her dog if she made arrangements. But she also had a new born baby and her young daughter with her. Can you imagine what this flight was like crying baby and barking dog.This was a situation where lack of planning caused the dogs death. In fact flight attendants should never have let her board with A dog and a newborn baby. And since she had a seat for her daughter there was room on the floor unless baby stuff was involved as well. The other thing pet carriers the largest I could find that was airline approved for carry on was 19 inches meaning the dog would need tone smaller then that. This Leeds me to believe they didn't realize it was a pet carrier. And though they claim they told them I suspect if they had she wouldn't he border.

www.united.com...
edit on 3/17/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: rickymouse

There was another option as well the airline would have taken care of her dog if she made arrangements. But she also had a new born baby and her young daughter with her. Can you imagine what this flight was like crying baby and barking dog.This was a situation where lack of planning caused the dogs death. In fact flight attendants should never have let her board with A dog and a newborn baby. And since she had a seat for her daughter there was room on the floor unless baby stuff was involved as well.

www.united.com...

Yeah, if they would have made prior arrangements it would have been better, it could have been put into the special cargo area and got to go to Japan for a ride like the other incidence this past week. Also, one dog was on the wrong jet and the Jet had to make a special landing when they discovered the problem. So it turned out good, the airline compensated all the passengers for their unscheduled side track.
I bet they even gave that dog a treat.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: generik

I looked into the bag, due to thinking the same off the bat until I seen larger pictures, as yes it doesn't look like a dog the proper bag from one of the images, though it is a dog carrier-as specified in your snippet a soft sided one for airliners.

At this source see here-caution graphic.: You can see the mesh panel.

Similar bag in the thumbnail:

These are airliner approved but not surely for a closed compartment. If it was really that closed air tight, I doubt a regular plastic dog cage(probably wouldn't fit as well) may have made much difference. As mentioned in a prior reply, the compartment space gets really cold, between that, the stress, lack of oxygen, etc., it's not fit for any animals.

I agree the dog looked rather big for the bag, but that might be for carry on rule sizing.

Update: Sen. Kennedy is sponsoring a bill to ban animals from being placed in the passenger stowaway compartments.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

any picture i have seen on the one used, i saw no sign of any mesh, or air holes for that matter. and as for the bill, it should also ban animals from being put under seats. there really is not much airflow there either. the fronts are pretty much completely blocked off. and even the sides are normally pretty much blocked off. leaving only the back open, which does not do much for getting air. and looking at the picture of the one you show, that area of mesh, would be at the side, and so no air would really be able to get into it anyway, since it would likely be the closed end placed at the only real opening beneath the seat. the worst part of all this is that there is a much better alternative, and that is in the cargo compartment, where most dogs, cats and other animals fly. there is no need for animals to be in the cabin with the passengers, other than actual service animals. although i think even that needs to be dealt with since i do know people who have severe alergies to things like dogs, and people have even died from those alergies. so letting animals be in such an enclosed space like an aircraft cabin should really not be allowed unless they do something like 50% of all aircraft and flights being animal free. which would accomadate both those who suffer alergies as well as those who need service animals.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone would fly with their dog. If I was moving, I would drive across the country before I would put my dog on a plane. If it was a vacation, and not possible to drive with the dog, the dog is safer boarded in a reputable place.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I've never traveled in an overhead bin, myself. If an airline attendant leads me to believe it's a safe place for my pet...I might be inclined to believe them.

Obviously, now, I wouldn't. But if I hadn't read this story and they told me my pet could and should safely travel in the overhead bin, and led me to believe it was the safest place, then I could probably be persuaded.

Don't judge me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join