It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ryan Zinke says he never took a private jet because the plane he flew on had Propellers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
www.newsweek.com...

Trump’s Secretary of the Interior, Ryan Zinke, has argued that he never took a private jet, because the planes he travelled on had propellers. He made the bizarre statement Tuesday as he faced questions in Congress about his spending of taxpayer dollars for a series of chartered flights.

“I never took a private jet anywhere,” Zinke told Sen. Maria Cantwell, the ranking Democrat on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee, when she pressed him about three flights, including a $12,375 flight he made last spring from Las Vegas to Kalispell near his hometown in Montana.

Zinke pointed out that the plane, a Beechcraft King Air 200 owned by oil and gas executives, and the aircraft used during the other two flights, didn’t have jet engines but were driven by propellers.

You can’t make # like this up; he goes on.

“To allege that it’s a private jet is inappropriate, ma'am,” Zinke said, calling the line of Cantwell’s questions no more than “insults and innuendos.”

“I resent the fact of your insults, I resent the fact they're misleading, I resent the fact of the doors,” Zinke told Cantwell when she asked him about how he could justify hiking fees at popular national parks.

Zinke has proposed doubling entry fees in some cases and argued that too many people get in for free, including veterans and the disabled.

“When you give discounted or free passes to elderly, fourth graders, veterans, disabled, and you do it by the carload, there's not a whole lot of people who actually pay at our front door,” Zinke said during the hearing. The hike is meant to fill a $11 billion park maintenance backlog.

Playing semantics to get yourself out of a line of questioning?
The plane in question is a turboprop, a jet engine that powers a propeller for everyone who didn’t know.

You can’t drain a swamp, it will always just fill itself back in; but the methane from all this bull# would burn pretty nicely. New leaders, same as the old leaders, and the circus goes on.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

You can’t drain a swamp, it will always just fill itself back in; but the methane from all this bull# would burn pretty nicely.

Get your flint and steel!

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I too, resent the fact of the doors.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

I think I missed a paragraph (mobile formatting), it’s in reference to questioning about extravagantly priced doors charged to his department.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

I think I missed a paragraph (mobile formatting), it’s in reference to questioning about extravagantly priced doors charged to his department.

Oh yeah for explanations sake, I see what you mean.

Still, I think its the single best line out of his statement.
edit on 11pm18fpmWed, 14 Mar 2018 14:22:43 -0500America/ChicagoWed, 14 Mar 2018 14:22:43 -0500 by Wayfarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Kind of resonates this, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
the interesting part to me is

Should everyone pay their fair share?

If so, would that mean everyone should pays to enter?

I get confused to when i need to pay my fair share, and when I should get offended because the government doesn't give me something that I am owed

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
the interesting part to me is

Should everyone pay their fair share?

If so, would that mean everyone should pays to enter?

I get confused to when i need to pay my fair share, and when I should get offended because the government doesn't give me something that I am owed

Funny thing about “fair shares” - how do you define it. Can’t remember which country does it, but a European country assesses traffic fines (specially speeding at least) based on the individuals income, so the working poor and the wealthy are penalized equally.
edit on 3/14/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
So are oil execs smoozing politicians to raise park prices to make them unprofitable, so oil companies can make them more profitable when they mine all the resources in them?

Your going to see more and more of this issue since bribery was legalized.

The peoples recreation is not as profitable as extracting the natural resources.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I was never a huge fan either, but LA woman is a decent song.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Though we do use 'jet' colloquially to refer to non turboprop types, you are correct a turboprop is still a jet in the broad sense of the term.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Very telling of his character here:

“When you give discounted or free passes to elderly, fourth graders, veterans, disabled, and you do it by the carload, there's not a whole lot of people who actually pay at our front door,” Zinke said during the hearing. The hike is meant to fill a $11 billion park maintenance backlog.

From your source.

This guy is a real winner. These are national parks, not theme parks.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Sounds as though he is versed in loophole talk. I suppose it's "OK" since the term private aircraft wasn't used.

Are people in DC living in some alternate universe?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Funny thing about “fair shares” - how do you define it. Can’t remember which country does it, but a European country assesses traffic fines (specially speeding at least) based on the individuals income, so the working poor and the wealthy are penalized equally. "

I believe the term is " proportionately" not "equally".

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You can’t drain a swamp

but you can hunt in it.

eta
ryn's enki
edit on 14-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Not a private jet because it had propellers?

Next thing you know some politician will try to make us think "wiping a server" involves a rag.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: timequake

Funny thing about “fair shares” - how do you define it. Can’t remember which country does it, but a European country assesses traffic fines (specially speeding at least) based on the individuals income, so the working poor and the wealthy are penalized equally. "

I believe the term is " proportionately" not "equally".

Equally referring to the amount that the fine affects them.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Next thing you know some politician will try to make us think "wiping a server" involves a rag.

What does he think makes those propellers go round and round? Hamsters? PT6 does not stand for piston thrusters. It's not a jet if it goes suck-squeeze-bang-blow. If it goes whoosh, it's a jet.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Maria Cantwell is an idiot anyways. She was an Obama rubber stamp before, and now she is a rubber stamp for any tree hugging liberal democrat agenda in the party. Just like all the scumbags in Washington state that are the state's politicians. Some of the biggest wasteful spenders alive on the planet. They aren't happy unless they are exercising grandiose hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

You have to fly on that plane to know what kind of plane it is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join