It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: White conservative males stockpile guns because they are scared and feel inferior.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Any information that begins with 'Studies show' or 'Scientists say' is usually a good reason to disregard. All people who do studies and of course scientists all have an agenda so its skewed.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Why do you own a gun? If the answer is to to feel safe or protect yourself, then yes you are scared of imaginary scenarios happening.

I own a first aid kit.

Does that mean I am scared of imaginary scenarios happening? I also own several varieties of over the counter basic medication? Does that mean I am a hypchondriac? I also own a flashlight and some basic tools. Does that mean I fear things breaking down on me or the loss of power? I keep my house stocked with some extra nonperishable food and extra bottled water. Does that mean I fear starvation or disaster?

Or does it simply mean I like to be a bit prepared for circumstances that could happen that are beyond my control?

I'll bet there are a lot of basic things ... tools and medications and supplies ... that you don't strictly need or use on a day in, day out basis that would make you look like a scared little wussy if you decided to continue this train of ridiculous logic.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: soundguy
Of course this comes as no surprise to anyone who can think for themselves (obviously this excludes conservatives).

Wow. Nice way to bait right off the top. You get an A+.

I'm indeterminate. Conservative here, liberal there, I guess Centric is the best description. Guess what Sparky? I'd Have a #load of guns if I could afford them. They're expensive and not a high priority. Like tattoos. Maybe conservatives have more disposable income.
edit on 17-3-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: donnydeevil

So more projecting? Tell me which one are you?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The study begins on a premise: that gun ownership is driven by an aberrant behavior. They then seek out why.

And someone sees this as science?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

And someone sees this as science?

This? Hmm. Nothing wrong with starting with a premise. It's when one ignores data to the opposite premise or manipulates it to fit the premise where it no longer is science.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
I've no idea ATS had so many triggered people, its like yelling fire in a crowded room on ATS, you critize the conservative white male and folks start capping.

Since most folks lack critical thinking and ATS has become an emtional hotbed, that piece is an opinion, that are using facts (the studies) to support its conclusion.

Except the OP didn't use any facts from the study to support his conclusions. If you want to see someone who used facts from the study to support their post, see here.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

So you are saying that there is value in a study that evaluates why people are crazy when its unproven they are crazy in the first place?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: donnydeevil
Must be something to this because look at the amount of posters triggered by this claim. LOL

I always believed this, due to the fact that they are always constantly talking about someone coming into their homes to kill or maim them. No sane person has thoughts of this constantly.

Just look at all the past replies to other threads, I need guns to protect so and so or when something happens you will want a gun with you. These are thoughts of fear and paranoia. Gun ownership is basically about living in fear and the only way they can feel safe is to have one on them at all times because of the boogeyman.

The conservative platform is fear....fear from minorities, BLM, Antifa, illegal immigrants, Muslims or whatever scary people they can think of.

Wrong. See here and here. Actual science doesn't support your conclusions. You believe it because you want to believe it, and I suspect you will ignore information to the contrary. That's fine, just don't go around pretending you're informed please.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

I'm gonna give this a flag purely due to the knee jerk keyboard mashing-it's been entertaining.

'kwjREHBFKw,g? yujmnbvfgyhujiko, bkjyhikfu!' I totally agree, the kwjREHBFKw,g need to vgyujkmn.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

So you are saying that there is value in a study that evaluates why people are crazy when its unproven they are crazy in the first place?

Nope. You missed the "Hmm".

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Im old. My eyes just ain't what they used to be.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I think you are trying to project 'fear' as 'preparation'. I live in Florida. Do I live in fear of Hurricanes? No, but I have a stockpile in case it happens. Do I have car insurance out of fear. Nope. Because it protects my car.

Gun do not take away fear either. Ask someone who has been robbed or raped if the gun makes them feel better. Most will say no but they at least have something to defend themselves.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

I think you are trying to project 'fear' as 'preparation'. I live in Florida. Do I live in fear of Hurricanes? No, but I have a stockpile in case it happens. Do I have car insurance out of fear. Nope. Because it protects my car.

Gun do not take away fear either. Ask someone who has been robbed or raped if the gun makes them feel better. Most will say no but they at least have something to defend themselves.

There is a lot of truth in this. They simply call it fear because it helps them feel better to pretend conservatives and gun owners are afraid. This simply has no basis in fact. As a number of people have pointed out, there are lots of other instances where people have taken the time and sometimes training and money to be prepared for unlikely events. That does not mean you're living in fear. Once you take the time to prepare, you often mostly forget about your preparations, except on the occasional basis you check or restock your supplies, for example replacing food and water every so many years in a disaster kit to make sure it's not expired if/when you need it. Along these lines, gun owners will of course clean their gun, go to the range, etc. But on a daily basis, none of us are walking around afraid of what's around every corner. This is simply an immature gun controller's fantasy.

I can also attest that a gun does not make you more brave. If anything I am even more careful to avoid sketchy situations and confrontations when I am carrying, because the last thing I want to do is have to shoot someone, even if I am justified. I have never thought "well this could turn ugly but so what, I have my gun". This is another gun controller's fantasy, that gun owners will be extra assholish because they're just itching for the opportunity to "murder" someone.

Why are gun control extremists so fixated on these childish fantasies? They have no interest in learning what gun owners really think and how we actually behave. Hopefully someday they will realize their stubborn dedication to remain grossly uninformed on everything related to this subject keeps them from advancing toward their goal. Anyone with a clue tunes them out as soon as they open their mouths because it quickly becomes obvious they have no clue what they're talking about. They can't engage you on this conversation like an adult. Just look at the OP. It looks like it was written by a 6th grader.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: craterman
Any information that begins with 'Studies show' or 'Scientists say' is usually a good reason to disregard. All people who do studies and of course scientists all have an agenda so its skewed.

Guess you WONT be taking any life-saving medication OR treatment brought to us via scientists

Yeah. Science...it's so incredibly evil. It's not like without it you'd be able to spew your OPINION on the internet at all...right?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

If only the liberal arts study in the op could pass for science.....

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: soundguy
Of course this comes as no surprise to anyone who can think for themselves (obviously this excludes conservatives).

They're expensive and not a high priority. Like tattoos. Maybe conservatives have more disposable income.

NAH.

Tons O' guns & a SNAP card.

It's where they spend what LITTLE disposable income they have.

Foodstamps for food, cash for bullets.

Ya know...PRIORITIES!

edit on 17-3-2018 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: DanteGaland

If only the liberal arts study in the op could pass for science.....

Define "SCIENCE".

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge")[2][3]:58 is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.[a]

Wikipedia

OP sounds scienc-y to me.

OP delivered ATS's daily dose of recreational outrage to the conservatives today!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The OP obviously suffers from inadequacy and little person syndrome.
I highly recommend they purchase a sword and study the art of use. It may add 3" to whatever he/she/it has, thus building confidence and suppressing the OP's felt need, to lash out in private "safety" against his superiors. This snowflake needs to move to one of the poles. They're obviously melting.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join